Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duTrieux. posted:

are you curating those or just uploading whatever the manage to lasso into imgur

i've been extracting them from the various custom archive formats, obsolete image standards etc and then uploading em

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

imagine if this idiot had to manually set dip switches, configure IRQs, and edit config.sys.

this kind of whining is why people make fun of millennials, btw. not because they're dumber or lazier, it's that they put up with this bitch instead of mocking him mercilessly.

that guy is generation x

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and why does he look so angry

it's a real pain carrying all that stuff

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Robot Pride posted:

planned obsolescence is actually a real reason millennials suck so many nutbags (the ones allergic to nuts just suck on the peen shaft)

most have never repaired something that mattered because they really don't have the opportunity thanks to lack of schematics, access, cheapness to replace with new, etc

"hey, look, i can update my telephone machine by typing in my pin"

This is wrong as hell.
mass planned obsolescence was in vogue 50s into the 80s at latest.

Pretty none of that actually happens today. Boo hoo you can't fix your TV? Well it probably lasted a long time with no repair needed. 1960s TV set? In theory still works today, as long as you had 50 years of access to ever dwindling parts and weeks of time for all the necessary repair.

Or look how the average car on the road is 12 years old. In the 60s it'd be more like 4 or 5 because those poo poo buckets needed hella repair and maintenance constantly. And most people would just get a new one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Robot Pride posted:

you are probably adept at what you do but the problem is that you are the exception and not the rule for your cohort

http://i.imgur.com/G16mpWN.gifv

Uh sorry moron but the vast majority of people do not use apple lnbo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
To reiterate though, appliances used to require repair so frequent that TV places came to your home like plumbers and even medium size cities would have dozens of TV repairmen to keep up with constant demand.

And your other devices wouldn't fare much better, fridges, radios, washing machine, dishwasher etc - they all used to have major problems constantly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

this was always such an infuriating thing to me

maine has had very good public schools and has turned out a lot of qualified graduates. of course then any graduate with something to offer moves away because jobs are very few and far between. what is maine's perpetual answer to the "brain drain"? MORE EDUMACATION!!!! :pseudo:

at least it means theres teacher jobs available

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

remember these were considered "easy to drive" at the time
[/quote]

on a related note, if you had an electric car instead, you had to choose between buying battery packs that would suffice for long ranges (200 miles or so) but wouldn't be able to be recharged more than 2 or 3 times before they were useless, or ones that you could keep for years but wouldn't take you more than like 30 miles on a charge.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

you missed the male male hookup at eight oclock on the gently caress ring

late again eh

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yo who is it with those really scary apocalypse food infomercials

there's massive profit in tossing the freezedried etc food they use for food service on things like cruise ships and summer camps, sticking it in loving buckets, and then selling it to scrubs

all sorts of food companies have the equipment to churn it out because they have to have it in order to get contracts to supply food to the military .

poo poo's pretty good for camping or whatever though, when you can get it at a more normal cost

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Power Ambient posted:

say what you want about sperging over metal genres but there's a pretty big difference between death metal and black metal and you'd look like a huge no-nothing idiot conflating the two

here's death metal computer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkp48SZ0Gf4

yeah death metal sticks up from the floor and black metal hangs from the ceiling

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jre posted:

lmfao

What are they doing to break it this badly ?

if it's like a lot of other games of that type, your ability to do things is based entirely on how much you can button mash the right things. so they're probably just feeding it inputs as fast as the game can read it.

and since the programmers didn't test poo poo for that, it overflows a bunch of stuff and starts loving up other things

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lmao does the US not have bottle deposit or something

most places that used to have it switched to just doing normal recycling collection

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hosed up goofy fonts help people who got dyslexia or whatever

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
berlin wall poo poo took like forever and the biggest event happened around a midnight, so it's all too annoying to pin a date on

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

maniacdevnull posted:

berlin wall came down in 1991 i thought?? also 80s would totes be challenger, bunch of school kids watched it live

they first let people back through it in early november 1989, there were major chunks taken out for new crossings starting in december 1989, major desconstruction of it and the the much longer wall between the rest of east and west germany took place starting in 1990 and continuing to 1993, with most of the deconstruction being done for the berlin part by 1991.

the germanies reunited in early october 1990, when there was still a shitload of the berlin wall and inner german border still standing and generally being in the way

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

maniacdevnull posted:

maybe 1991 was the fall of the ussr?

yeah that happened formally on the day after christmas, 1991

but in practice most of the countries were already operating independent in 1989 and 1990

all a mess, all a mess

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

maniacdevnull posted:

BWI Airport is the only airport in the county with a direct link to nationwide rail service, isn't Baltimore great?

nah, if BWI counts than Newark International definitely counts.

BWI has a shuttle bus from the terminals to the BWI station on the northeast corridor, newark has a people mover from the terminals to the newark international station on the northeast corridor

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jonny 290 posted:

somebody fanartted it too

little known fact: the low air pressure in denver causes this to happen to everyone who stays there for more than 20 years

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Roosevelt posted:

nicest person you will ever meet

and

TWISTED loving PSYCHOPATH

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

2.5 MB

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i can;t deal w/ those eyebrows

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KoRMaK posted:

Lol the humble bundle has a book with a pepe on the cover

thats literally the book he''s from dude

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

a while ago I was walking in Berkeley and heard the distinct ping ping ping off a whippet canister hitting the ground and saw a dude driving down the street huffing a giant balloon with a corona in the cup holder. people get completely retarded on that stuff when they're already drunk. hosed up.

anyway I really want one of these for parties cause drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7tyF71zHA&hd=1

it's like laser milkdrop. hopefully they open it up so you can make your own patterns too.

it's already totally open dude, full capabilities are exposed to any computer app that's written to control it.

nothing's locked down with the manufacturer's keys or w/e

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mo_Steel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XhYe9JVasw

Pretty good way to lose fingers / hands / arms / life.

it's pretty great how european railways still do that crazy rear end dangerous poo poo while america's been using way safer automatic couplers since like the goddamn civil war

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
everyday, euro rail companies have to manually tie up chains between each individual car, like its 1845 or something. lmbo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought maori wasn't even it's own language and was just a subgroup that was mutually intelligible w/ a buncha the other polynesian languages

yeah it's like german

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sniep posted:

what is it with people and goddamned tops lately

is this like some "i get it, you've seen inception" type thing or just a random fad

its just because they're real easy to design and cheap to have manufactured

same reason there's so many minimal wallet kickstarters

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

epipen posted:

i find it really weird how that series of games got super popular with literal children, but i guess lovely horror stuff is always popular with kids?

well its not like theres enough content in them for them to have long term popularity with adults

they're pretty much just the modern version of the old newgrounds gimmick games

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

epipen posted:

i've not played them, but i can't imagine there's a whole lot there, no.
I'm kinda curious as to how they got marketed at kids though? (The answer is probably youtubers)
idk when horror became all about the jumpscare, tho, that's something that bugs me

for all the five nights at freddy games you just switch between the like 8 monitors and if you don't close the right door at the right time you get a 2 second jumpscare of one of the robots. that's it.

and all that's in "marketing" it is just that the usual lot of big name lets players play them, so people hear about em

jumpscares are also just about the easiest scary thing to implement, which is why it's in all those low budget games

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

seeing anarchy online on there is hillarious to me because of http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/anarchy-online/1/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm watching this documentary about jimmy savile and what the gently caress. I don't want to sound like i'm victim blaming but how could anyone leave their kids unattended near that fuckin guy?

gently caress

there were a ton of other creepy people in positions of power there, so he didn't come off as particularly bad. it was all real hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

Kodachrome wasn't launched until 1935 though.

so?

• Locked thread