Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Dune was fuckin awesome. They carved up the book and dumbed a few things down, sure, but goddamn it was a huge book; dripping with detail. Getting it in under three hours was amazing. The Stillsuits; the fremen, the fuckin guild...man. The Shadout Mapes. Patrick motherfucking Stuart. Too much great poo poo to name.

I liked the movie Baron. Sure he was a bit of a caricature, but they had to thin out the pages somewhere and he wasn't even the end boss, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

They call my dick Shai-Halud.

reallivedinosaur posted:

i dunno if it was any good they would have made a sequel

remember "the black hole" that was a good movie, had some sassy robot in it iirc and a chick in tight pants

The only good thing about the black hole is the end where its a robot in hell or something.

I rewatched Dune last night and forgot how there were so many famous actors in it. All of Lynch's usual cast members plus more. Patrick Stewart, Sean Young, Sting, Dean Stockwell, and Max von Sydow.

Milk your cat

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 14, 2016

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
No one has posted this and it upsets me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE&t=134s

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Having just recently rewatched it, I can objectively say that it is not a good movie. Like, it's great for the weird 80s aesthetic, and the set and costume design is pretty cool, but David Lynch had definitely not figured out that a movie should be show, not tell. And there's tons of pointless filler and all the weird poo poo he threw in for no drat good reason.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
true story: when i was a kid i really wanted a dune buggy so naturally i rented the movie "dune" at the video store and popped into my betamax player and did not see even one dune buggy

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
true story:when it's the end of the night and I'm drunk and dancin w/ a bloaty hellcat and my peen starts pushing against that booty I like to say "hey usul, peep this poo poo: we got wormsign the likes of which even god has never seen" and we both laugh bc the fat grodies i gently caress alllllll love dune

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

reallivedinosaur posted:

true story: when i was a kid i really wanted a dune buggy so naturally i rented the movie "dune" at the video store and popped into my betamax player and did not see even one dune buggy

The spice harvester scout is a dune buggy. You get a quick shot of one as it's hauling rear end into the spice harvester before the sandworm attacks.

Edit: They even made a toy of it in their misguided merchandising line...

Edit: It looks like I'm wrong, this is the shot of the "sand crawler" scout entering the spice harvester...

But they not only made a Revell model kit out of it...

...but also a motorized toy version.

Edit: wrong again, here's a shot of the spice scout as well from the movie. They really did try to make toys out of everything...

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 14, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was really bizarre that they made Dune toys.

The movie itself is not a great adaptation of the book but I do like the designs for everything. Also the change of the Weirding Way to be weapons instead of kung fu makes sense given when the movie came out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The movie itself is not a great adaptation of the book but I do like the designs for everything. Also the change of the Weirding Way to be weapons instead of kung fu makes sense given when the movie came out.

Yeah, I think if the Weirding Modules actually did more than just shoot stuff, it would probably be a better compromise. I like the idea of it being an artificial focus that replicates Bene Gessrit abilities, so you could do loving nutso poo poo with it like suck the air out from under ornithopters or conjuring flame or creating a non-Holtzman shield to deflect incoming threats, etc. I think even the Fremen are impressed when Paul lays out that coup de'grace psychic scream on Feyd, crushing his dying body without the need of the Module, so it tells you how bad news those Weirding Modules are in comparison to conventional weapons like lasguns and slugthrowers.

Of course, just saying "Muad'dib" and blowing up your enemy is good enough

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

muscles like this? posted:

the Dune toys are another product of the time, everything had fuckin' merchandising because George Lucas made enough money to build a terracotta army of cocaine golems off of Star Wars merchandising and nobody saw it coming

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the Dune toys are another product of the time, everything had fuckin' merchandising because George Lucas made enough money to build a terracotta army of cocaine golems off of Star Wars merchandising and nobody saw it coming

It also explains why we had such weird merchandising choices like having marketing cartoons and toy lines for R-rated properties to kids like Rambo, Robocop and, to a lesser extent, Aliens (because, holy poo poo, if "Operation: Aliens" had come out in 1987-88, I would have lost my poo poo as a Younger Freud). I think that ended with Starship Troopers, now they market those toys to kid-like adults.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idngILUv4W0

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Young Freud posted:

It also explains why we had such weird merchandising choices like having marketing cartoons and toy lines for R-rated properties to kids like Rambo, Robocop and, to a lesser extent, Aliens (because, holy poo poo, if "Operation: Aliens" had come out in 1987-88, I would have lost my poo poo as a Younger Freud). I think that ended with Starship Troopers, now they market those toys to kid-like adults.

I had no idea they made Dune toys but the toys for Alien were loving rad. They also had very little to do with the movies. Sergeant Apone was wearing weird early 90s gangsta poo poo and the "scorpion" alien had a button on his tail that blew him to pieces a la T-1000. Inside the hollow of his chest cavity was a big red organ, presumably a heart. I walk through the toy aisle sometimes and feel sorry for what passes as action figures these days.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

should i watch it.

yes

once

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Dune's awesome but someone could probably make a good drug movie out of Lord of Light

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it stinks!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

skasion posted:

We have wormsign the like of which even God has never seen

that's just a drat good line

for all the poo poo Lynch's film gets for being a bad adaptation I was amazed at how much was pulled straight from the novel the first time I actually read it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

that's just a drat good line
And you get to cry out "THE WATER OF LIFFEEE!" if your pickup line carries you all the way through that night.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Mmmmm..... Shai-Huluuuuud.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

shadow puppet of a posted:

And you get to cry out "THE WATER OF LIFFEEE!" if your pickup line carries you all the way through that night.

Personally whenever im about to bust I throw back my head and yell "ATOMICS!!"

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

here's a lil pug hulud i drew hope u guys like him :3:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Gatekeeper posted:

goldmine

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Gatekeeper posted:

Looks like something out of the more bizarre Achewood arcs.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
The movie captures the mood and ideas of the books perfectly. Anyone who thinks different can eat my Arrakis.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I tried to watch it but the voiceovers of their internal thoughts were loving terrible and put me off. Leave that poo poo in the books yo

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

ColtMcAsskick posted:

I tried to watch it but the voiceovers of their internal thoughts were loving terrible and put me off. Leave that poo poo in the books yo

obvs someone who hasn't read the books

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gnarlyhotep posted:

The movie captures the mood and ideas of the books perfectly. Anyone who thinks different can suck the spice out of my Arrakis.

Ftfy

I liked the movie and never read the book.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You ever notice how Arrakis sounds like Iraq? The book is just a metaphor for Gulf War I.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

spicemine you mean surely :smuggo:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

ooh wow and atreides sounds like m'ladies so.... I don't know??? what were we talking about???????

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

M'lady Jessica, you don't need to use the voice on me as I will gladly poo poo in my stillsuit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dune is a book about how if only the white man was in charge of ISIS they could conquer the decadent West. Inshallah

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I gotta good movie for ya OP it's called suck my balls :grin:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SPACE HOMOS posted:

M'lady Jessica, you don't need to use the voice on me as I will gladly poo poo in my stillsuit.

Ugh, I just realized that gets recycled too :barf:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

how often do you have to clean the dried poo poo out of your pants

or is it reprocessed and dispensed as meat from the shoes

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

You'll always know you're near a fremen camp when you find large amounts of desiccated turds in the desert.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads."
-Dune movie

The book just leaves you to guess as much. There's a part with Caladanian soldiers joking around that on Arrakis you have to wipe your rear end with sand.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

phasmid posted:

"Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads."
-Dune movie

The book just leaves you to guess as much. There's a part with Caladanian soldiers joking around that on Arrakis you have to wipe your rear end with sand.

The book has parts explicitly stating that the Fremen sietches all stink to high haven in no small part thanks to the stillsuits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

notZaar posted:

The book has parts explicitly stating that the Fremen sietches all stink to high haven in no small part thanks to the stillsuits
Well then it's handy that they've got so much cinnamon incense.

• Locked thread