Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I know you came asking about the Dune movie, but I REALLY REALLY recommend you watch the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary instead. While Lynch's Dune is pretty good (make sure you watch the uncut version if you do), once I saw the documentary, I just wish Jodorowsky had gotten the gig. I've seen his movie the Holy Mountain before, and let me tell you, that's also a movie everyone should watch if they respect themselves as a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

notZaar posted:

Why do people always cream their pants about the Jodorowsky Dune? What other great movies has he made that prove he could have made as great Dune adaptation m

/
a person who has never seen a single Jodorowsky movie

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Holy Mountain proves that he can do pretty much any kind of movie.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Except maybe lovely ones, though I haven't seen his early work so idk.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Gatekeeper posted:

El Topo and Holy Mountain are def cool movies and it's fun how jodorowsky was like "yes! i am into buddhism, and also hinduism, catholics are cool also, check out this native american thingy I got at the gift shop at the continental divide in new mexico! let's go down to the new age tarot card fortune teller's crystal store and buy a bunch of neat statues and tapestries and make a movie out of them!" like you can tell he's genuinely just really excited about every religious concept he stumbles across and he haphazardly throws everything together along with imagery specifically chosen "because fucken it looks cool!"

lynch has a very specific reason for everything that happens in his poo poo, it's the way he first imagined it while writing the story, it's personal and intentional and it doesn't matter how anyone else interprets it, it means something to lynch and he enjoys the knowledge that it'll mean something different to everyone else who sees it

jodorowsky is all "hahaha hosed up right?"

but the weird shocking "how effed up can I make this poo poo?" stuff is applied to personal stories he really wants to tell, that's why I enjoy his stuff beyond replying "hahaha yes dude, hosed up" to ol' alejandro.

With lynch, it's fun to watch his stuff and try to decipher what he was thinking, comparing your own reaction to the material to lynch's work as a whole and seeing what it tells you about the themes of the story, so you walk away with a your own very personal interpretation of an already incredibly personal work

with jodorowsky it's fun to watch his stuff and go "drat that's fuckin gnarly, also hmm his thoughts on the concept of a christ are interesting and a nice excuse for this intentionally insane imagery"

both are very fun things to do, and are very cool

Also jodorowsky did a lil movie called Santa Sangre that was basically the most amazing remake of Psycho you could ever imagine, it's extremely good and should be seen by you all

Seems like a good analysis. I wouldn't downplay Jodorowsky's analysis of society and individuals, though. He definitely has an unique approach to things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puld_CMrgms

• Locked thread