Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I graduated this last Spring. I study counseling psychology. The amount of students that stepped out of lectures covering child abuse, rape, war, ect... was shocking. Like really, you want to be a therapist? You can't exactly step out of a therapy session -- why the gently caress are you here. However, we didn't have trigger warnings, we had "self care" which is basically placing the responsibility for taking emotional care of oneself on the individual, where it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I've always felt bad for people who actually have PTSD from Vietnam/Korea or whatever and poo poo who now get to deal with all this crap.

People get PTSD from quite a few places. Many non-combat veterans develop PTSD. Similarly for bullying, rape, child abuse, and a lot of other civilian 'trauma'.

I can say for sure that anyone with PTSD who has had some sort of helps knows that they are responsible for knowing and avoiding their triggers and handling things when they are triggered. That's the point of therapy, to help someone take care of themselves. The idea of trigger warnings is borderline emotionally abusive -- it makes people's emotional well being dependent on those presenting the material.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

drat. I almost forgot how much I hate trigger warnings until this thread.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The first I saw trigger warnings was in mental illness forums maybe 15 years ago, for BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder). It kind of made sense because discussion about cutting/self-harm can directly lead to cutting/self-harm for those with BPD. Avoidance is not a healthy way of dealing with BPD (actually Mindfulness is) but since online forums are casual and not a professional form of therapy it made some sense as an attempt to avoid people cutting because a post got them in in a bad mindset.

Then it expanded to talking about suicide and depression.
Then it expanded to sexual assault and PTSD and "becoming upset"
Then it expanded to any word someone may find offensive (like retard or bitch)
Then it expanded to exposure to alternative points of view that you disagree with

Avoidance actually empowers and intensifies mental illness. Mindful exposure to negative stimuli is how BPD etc are treated. Mindfulness/Meditation teaches you to allow thoughts, both positive and negative, to freely come and go without judgment. Kind of like how if I say "do not think of a pink bunny", a pink bunny pops into your mind. To get rid of the pink bunny, you let it come and go without focusing on it. If you focus on trying to get rid of the pink bunny or obsessing over avoiding the pink bunny, you actually empower it and it stays in your head. For mental illness it isn't a pink bunny but something that reminds you of trauma, but the same concept applies.

basically Trigger Warnings are loving stupid except for maybe the most neurotic and untreated cases of BPD

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i had a whopperito last night and i think it was bad on purpose. as if bk sold it to make a solid point to chipotle about staying in ones own lane.

my rear end in a top hat is suffering for chipotle's sins right now

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Meta Ridley posted:

Avoidance actually empowers and intensifies mental illness. Mindful exposure to negative stimuli is how BPD etc are treated.

The entire point of triggers is mindfulness. They are not suppose to be avoided unless someone is in a particularly vulnerable state -- someone may for example avoid triggers while they are grieving for a loss. However, that is mindful avoidance.

Triggers are suppose to connect context to emotions which until they have been understood to be 'triggered' are often confusing for those who suffer them. It's suppose to make you say "oh, that sounded a lot like a gun shot and probably reminded my body of that time I was being shot at, that's probably why I'm shaking right now" and that mindfulness calms the reaction.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
drat is this happening everywhere else ?

I feel like the difference in hardiness between us and the Chinese or Russians is becoming alarmingly high ! Are these the people who will fight to protect us when we're old ?!

We cannot allow a hardiness gap to develop between us and the communists !!

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
HARDCORE ALLIANCES lol

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

epileptic_ev posted:

HARDCORE ALLIANCES lol

the working title for the Putin/Obama sex tape

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
This is such a great thread to read with this extension right now

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Al Cowens posted:

yeah you're apparently a member of the opposite end of the spectrum who think it's hilarious to go around honking the N word out all the time because it's edgy

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

William Stoner posted:

drat. I almost forgot how much I hate trigger warnings until this thread.

sounds like you need a safe space

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like how the idea of safe spaces has mutated in this big bad monster that has to be taken down

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Al Cowens posted:

What is this

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should all have to watch a full season of anime before enrolling for classes

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Moridin920 posted:

yeah you're apparently a member of the opposite end of the spectrum who think it's hilarious to go around honking the N word out all the time because it's edgy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5y8duHAWA&t=140s

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Gaunab posted:

I like how the idea of safe spaces has mutated in this big bad monster that has to be taken down

we need a safe space from safe spaces

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

That's the guy from teen fortress 2, I can tell because of his head phones.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

epileptic_ev posted:

yasmin tayag gets fired from her job and moves back to scarlem get married to ~juffs~ human being

gangsta

shut the gently caress up dare

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Are you surprised people are reacting this way ? There were serious articles about cafeterias banning fried rice and poo poo like that.

I guess you're either a nazi or a pissbaby no middle-ground anymore.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
blank you are self and ur famil op

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That Robot posted:

shut the gently caress up dare

shut the gently caress up turnip face

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

epileptic_ev posted:

where did you go for three months and why are you back?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

epileptic_ev posted:

what are you

Like I keep seeing you get banned

You got banned a bunch this week

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

dare is the poster this thread deserves

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

if there are no safe spaces how will we know when our spaces are unsafe

really makes you think

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That Robot posted:

where did you go for three months and why are you back?

just want my freedom

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I really appreciate a letter about safe spaces coming from one of the wealthiest schools in one of the most segregated cities in America. No wonder they don't want safe spaces there; they don't need them when the whole campus is already utterly divorced from reality.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm glad I graduated before social media became a cancerous growth on American civilization.

Although most of my classes were held in a building literally named after a lynch mob instigator who got butthurt when Teddy Roosevelt invited Booker T. Washington to the White House :lol:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm glad I graduated before social media became a cancerous growth on American civilization.

Right? I was real bitter for a while about graduating in the same year the economy tanked, but looking back, I'm super loving grateful I'm not in school at the apex of tumblr-culture and twitter slapfights.

EDIT: And I'm real loving happy I'm already married too. If I had to worry about dating in this day and age, I'd probably save myself the trouble and go step out onto some railroad tracks.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

That said I feel like someone there doesn't get 'trigger warnings' because it's more like just letting people know what the topic will be before they get into it so they can make their own decision on whether they want to participate or not and I see nothing wrong with that? Tho obv it goes too far when people get mad that a pomegranate isn't tagged as 'gore.'

I made this for you!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Let's take a look at D&D's opinion on the subject

Keeshhound posted:

University of Chicago to Incoming Freshmen: Don’t Expect ‘Safe Spaces’ Here

God forbid you let potential rape victims know you'll be discussing a topic that might remind them of a traumatic event in their past. What a bunch of pussies, amirite? :rolleyes:

Geostomp posted:

How has "don't be insensitive bigots" become such a controversial issue? Especially withe people who freak out whenever white men, American Christianity, or history are questioned?

Perestroika posted:

At this point I'm becoming increasingly convinced that literally nobody who bitches about safe spaces even knows what the term means.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

they seem more interested in sucking their own dicks over how "real" and "tough" they are

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, but UoC is one of, if not the premiere social science school(s) in the US. If anyone was going to be up to date on this stuff, you'd expect it to be them.

Ytlaya posted:

They also probably have never experienced any real trauma to speak of and can't comprehend why being reminded of a traumatic experience would be deeply unpleasant.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

Most of those posts make cogent arguments, OP. What do you disagree with

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

I graduated this last Spring. I study counseling psychology. The amount of students that stepped out of lectures covering child abuse, rape, war, ect... was shocking. Like really, you want to be a therapist? You can't exactly step out of a therapy session -- why the gently caress are you here. However, we didn't have trigger warnings, we had "self care" which is basically placing the responsibility for taking emotional care of oneself on the individual, where it should be.

I read somewhere that most people go for degrees in Psychology because they're mentally hosed up in some way and want to fix themselves

This is not something that works

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the u of chicago is a real no joke school. thats why they dont tolerate that foolishness

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

trump wants to build a wall around america and deport all the scary brown people and create the world's biggest safe space

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

d&d is everything I hate about my own political affiliation all in one convenient place in case I ever need to remind myself of what the crazy shitheads on my side of the aisle are like

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

proof of concept posted:

d&d is everything I hate about my own political affiliation all in one convenient place in case I ever need to remind myself of what the crazy shitheads on my side of the aisle are like

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
pussies post in D7D wow woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

most sjw's these days are very very rich.

Tl;dr - A Futile Letter

• Locked thread