Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Holy poo poo college sounds gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

quote:

v- Motion to use trigger warnings
Preamble
The LTSU is a progressive student body dedicated to respecting autonomy through its stance on electing autonomous office bearers and has a clear goal to protect its student’s against injustice, oppression and any harmful activity that may present itself via this behaviour. Trigger warnings are a forward thinking initiative that prevents harm against students within their activity in day to day life. At the very least, it allows for people to assess their current mental state before continuing to consume content that may negatively alter their wellbeing. As the LTSU has a responsibility, within its scope to advocate for the rights of students who may have access issues in regards to their life experiences and mental, physical or emotional health, it is paramount the LTSU practice what they preach.
Action
1. In all student council meetings, the general secretary shall approach all members with motions to ensure trigger warnings have been made aware of and will publish the specific trigger warning if there is one present in council agenda papers.
2. In all student councils, affiliate meetings and in camera discussions, trigger warnings will be used where appropriate and necessary to forewarn of harmful content by speakers.
3. All students within student council meetings, affiliate meetings and in camera discussions will be subject to disciplinary action if these actions are not undertaken and uphold. (Disciplinary actions will be at the discretion of the chair of these meetings. If there is a refusal to comply with the appropriate disciplinary action, the student offending will be asked to leave the meeting).
4. All discussion within student council meetings, affiliate meetings and in camera discussions will be undertaken respectfully, in adherence to meeting procedure. Disciplinary action will also be applied at the discretion of the chair in accordance with the third action point.
5. A list of possible triggering issues will be attached to this motion that can be used to assist the action points of this motion, as taken from the NOWSA website, which has been cited below this motion for reference.
Moved: Jenny Stramilos
Seconded: Betty Belay
This motion passed.

TRIGGERING ISSUES (REQUIRING TRIGGER WARNINGS)
• Ableism
• Ableistic slurs (st*pid, id*ot, d*mb, cr*pple, r*t*rd etc.)
• Abuse (physical, mental, emotional, verbal, sexual)
• Anything that might inspire intrusive thoughts in people with OCD, such as “discussion of contamination”
• Blood
• Body image
• Body horror
• Child abuse/pedophilia
• Classism
• Corpses, skulls or skeletons
• Death/Murder
• Drug use or talk of drugs (legal, illegal or psychiatric)
• Eating disorders
• Eye contact (scopophobia)
• Fat shaming
• Flashing lights (for epileptics)
• Food

• Gore
• Harassment
• Hate crimes
• Insects
• Islamophobia
• Kidnapping (forceful deprivation of/disregard for personal autonomy)
• Medical procedures
• Mental illness (depression, anxiety etc.)
• Misophonia (selective sound sensitivity- typically include the sound of chewing and repetitive sounds)
• Nazi paraphernalia
• Needles

• Panic attacks
• Pregnancy (tokophobia)
• Queerphobia (heterosexism)
• Queerphobic slurs (f*g, d*ke, tr*nny etc.)
• Racism
• Racist slurs (ni*ger, a**o etc.)
• Rape
• Scarification
• Self-injurious behavior (self-harm, etc.)
• Serious injury
• Sex
• Sexism
• Sexist slurs (c*nt, b*tch etc.)
• Sex shaming
• Sexual assault
• Slimy things
• Snakes
• Spiders
• Suicide
• Discussions of -isms, shaming, or hatred of any kind (racism, classism, hatred of cultures/ethnicities that differ from your own, sexism, hatred of sexualities or genders that differ from your own, anti-multiple, non-vanilla shaming, sex positive shaming, fat shaming/body image shaming, neuroatypical shaming)
• Transphobia (cissexism)
• Transphobic slurs (tr*nny, tr*p etc.)
• Transmisogyny (combo of transphobia and sexism)
• Trichitillomania (disorder of compulsive hair pulling)
• Trypophobia (fear of things with holes or orifices/repetitive pattern phobia)
• Violence
• Vomit
• Warfare
• Weapons

Serak fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 26, 2016

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
ok 107 new posts I'm not reading why is this thread still here

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Serak posted:

• Flashing lights (for epileptics)

That's something that actually causes physical harm. Or do they just mean the discussion of flashing lights?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Serak posted:

TRIGGERING ISSUES (REQUIRING TRIGGER WARNINGS)
• Eye contact (scopophobia)

All students who plan to attend the university must gouge out their eyes and turn the sockets into safe spaces.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
no safe space is safe from farts

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
silent but deadly

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Helical Nightmares posted:

Get out of the Engineering campus and walk to the Biology one.

As yes the most social sciencey of the STEM disciplines.

That poo poo doesn't count and you know it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Sheep-Goats posted:

social sciencey

just come out and say it, you wimp

say it

you know you want to

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

just go ahead and say "biology? that the girl science" you piece of poo poo

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
what about biology makes the science social? that theres fuckin?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Frog Act posted:

moridin is legit one of the best gbs posters

I have nothibg againt him but its funny how he is an expert in absolutely everything, earns $100000 an hour and apparently enjoys 36 hour days.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
that's stupid. if anyplace needs a trigger warning it's southside chicago.

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/769021369954799616

ahrehrejhejajaj
Aug 26, 2016

by zen death robot
its almost as if gang banging is stupid and the prison and honor culture system that supports it needs to go

10/10 prisoners agree revenge is not something worth getting more time over!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mdm posted:

what about biology makes the science social? that theres fuckin?

You can be bad at math and do it

Notebooks

Girls

Hand waving

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

just go ahead and say "biology? that the girl science" you piece of poo poo

It's true

It's true

ahrehrejhejajaj
Aug 26, 2016

by zen death robot
1 time i went to summer school and not only did i pass math but i had a great time playing cheat a great card game

great

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

You can be bad at math and do it

Notebooks

Girls

Hand waving

You can't do social science if you bad at math lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Hand waving

:ironicat:

ahrehrejhejajaj
Aug 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Rutibex posted:

You can't do social science if you bad at math lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Serious question - is this the parents' fault? Are kids like this before they leave home?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Frosted Flake posted:

Serious question - is this the parents' fault? Are kids like this before they leave home?

They have weak parent figures, so they are vulnerable to the re-education programs to fill the vacuum

Also, their parents are "helicopter parents" who enable the psychology. My friend that works at a university once had a parent of a student show up for a job interview with the student.

Spunky Psycho Ho fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 26, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I think that society in the 00's decided that we needed to come around on the idea that "illness does not mean weakness."

And then, left unchecked on the burgeoning internet, children and broken baby adults co--opted and infantilized this notion, contracting with each other that, "illness means attention."

To perpetuate their attention machine, they targeted anyone who didn't 100% buy into the Emperor's New PTSD as a dissenter, and steadily escalated the rhetoric until these people were 'literally Hitler.' uninformed > ignorant > intolerant > bigoted > stupid > hateful > shitlord.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Joke's on them, I was born a shitlord.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

As yes the most social sciencey of the STEM disciplines.

That poo poo doesn't count and you know it.

Yes yes. No one every does math when designing PCR primers or doing a simple bacterial transformation.

What are enzyme kinetics, fourier transforms for crystallography, p-values and r squared-values in statistics, etc etc.

Nah bioengineering gene expression in systems biology isn't like circuit design at all not even a little bit. What is bioinformatics.

You haven't been around a biology campus in the past 40-50 years stupid.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 26, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

Joke's on them, I was born a shitlord.

same lol

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
A common refrain I keep seeing from people crying in the comments sections is that U of C and people in general are just "miseducated" about what safe spaces and trigger warnings actually are, and if they only understood them as existing as their platonic ideal then no one could possibly oppose their unilateral use. This, of course, requires you to completely ignore the very real stories and opinions from professors saying they are actively afraid of crossing their students in any way that could get them disciplined or fired. Putting your fingers in your ears and pretending like these concepts aren't being used as a pretense by hypersensitive dickholes to go after people they don't like or troll for hypocritical favors isn't going to fix the problems these things have in the public eye

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

E1M1 posted:

This, of course, requires you to completely ignore the very real stories and opinions from professors saying they are actively afraid of crossing their students in any way that could get them disciplined or fired.

i feel like any school where tenured professors are getting in trouble over dumb poo poo undergrads say is not a good school but idk anymore

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Helical Nightmares posted:

Yes yes. No one every does math when designing PCR primers or doing a simple bacterial transformation.

What are enzyme kinetics, fourier transforms for crystallography, p-values and r squared-values in statistics, etc etc.

Nah bioengineering gene expression in systems biology isn't like circuit design at all not even a little bit. What is bioinformatics.

You haven't been around a biology campus in the past 40-50 years stupid.

to be fair, a lot of biology researchers, especially the older cohorts, go fetch a statistician/physicist when they need to do most of these

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
ive seen people in their third and final year of undergraduate molecular biology degrees still struggle with calculating dilutions

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lichy posted:

ive seen people in their third and final year of undergraduate molecular biology degrees still struggle with calculating dilutions

Every field has failures

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

blarzgh posted:

I think that society in the 00's decided that we needed to come around on the idea that "illness does not mean weakness."

This is something I grapple with the critical disability theory and all that springs from it. I don't think it's immoral or bad to be disabled but I don't think its as ideal as being not disabled.

Given the choice between being paralyzed by anxiety and depression or not I would hope most people suffer though and work on self improvement rather than bending the world to suit their needs.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

E1M1 posted:

A common refrain I keep seeing from people crying in the comments sections is that U of C and people in general are just "miseducated" about what safe spaces and trigger warnings actually are, and if they only understood them as existing as their platonic ideal then no one could possibly oppose their unilateral use. This, of course, requires you to completely ignore the very real stories and opinions from professors saying they are actively afraid of crossing their students in any way that could get them disciplined or fired. Putting your fingers in your ears and pretending like these concepts aren't being used as a pretense by hypersensitive dickholes to go after people they don't like or troll for hypocritical favors isn't going to fix the problems these things have in the public eye
Anecdotes, of course, are the best evidence.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

This is something I grapple with the critical disability theory and all that springs from it. I don't think it's immoral or bad to be disabled but I don't think its as ideal as being not disabled.

Given the choice between being paralyzed by anxiety and depression or not I would hope most people suffer though and work on self improvement rather than bending the world to suit their needs.

I think the science and psychological treatment of mental illness developed rapidly over the past 20 years, and it began to trickle down (selectively, of course) into the social consciousness of angsty teenagers, via the internet.

Remember 10 years ago, the first time you heard about OCD? Then two weeks later, a third of your social group 'had' OCD. "Oh, thats just my OCD!" Boom, instant attention without the hassle of developing an interesting personality.

People who where overly sheltered, and disengaged from other children by the internet, or their helicopter parents never developed conflict resolution techniques, or experienced the full wave of rejection, in addition to the receding tide of acceptance and understanding that supposed to follow. The idea that hardship resulted in personal growth was slowly phased out via implied social compact.

Instead they learned that victimhood, even in its mildest forms, was a one-way ticket to attention town. So, they slowly began to glamorize victimhood, using the tools meant to help shape a growing social consciousness about real disabilities.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

blarzgh posted:

I think the science and psychological treatment of mental illness developed rapidly over the past 20 years, and it began to trickle down (selectively, of course) into the social consciousness of angsty teenagers, via the internet.

Remember 10 years ago, the first time you heard about OCD? Then two weeks later, a third of your social group 'had' OCD. "Oh, thats just my OCD!" Boom, instant attention without the hassle of developing an interesting personality.

People who where overly sheltered, and disengaged from other children by the internet, or their helicopter parents never developed conflict resolution techniques, or experienced the full wave of rejection, in addition to the receding tide of acceptance and understanding that supposed to follow. The idea that hardship resulted in personal growth was slowly phased out via implied social compact.

Instead they learned that victimhood, even in its mildest forms, was a one-way ticket to attention town. So, they slowly began to glamorize victimhood, using the tools meant to help shape a growing social consciousness about real disabilities.

There's a depressing amount of truth to this, although

quote:

in addition to the receding tide of acceptance and understanding that supposed to follow.

seems laughable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Just take a look at Morgellons, a wholly fictitious disease that checks off the boxes of "minor annoying issues" but suddenly thousands of people claimed to have it and a whole internet support group sprung up to rally people to fight against big pharma and corrupt docs. Once people find the explanation they want to justify lovely behavior, laziness, minor aches and pains, etc. they take it and run with it 100% making that the defining aspect of their life.

edit: Actually it is a real condition but described as a delusional state people cling to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgellons

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

pentyne posted:

Just take a look at Morgellons, a wholly fictitious disease that checks off the boxes of "minor annoying issues" but suddenly thousands of people claimed to have it and a whole internet support group sprung up to rally people to fight against big pharma and corrupt docs. Once people find the explanation they want to justify lovely behavior, laziness, minor aches and pains, etc. they take it and run with it 100% making that the defining aspect of their life.

edit: Actually it is a real condition but described as a delusional state people cling to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgellons

Think you might be thinking of "fibromyalgia" there, the clinical illness where your body just kind of hurts sometimes and it's definitely not because you're getting older. Morgellons is the one where you think you've got shitloads of skin worms that turn out to actually just be lint or pieces of string

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

seems laughable.

We are all supposed to experience rejection and failure, because it teaches us that other people have their own thoughts and feelings and decisions to make.

Think about all the nice guy loving weirdos, who consistently avoid the rejection endgame, either through soft-playing every opportunity they have, or instantly retreating to their internet hug groups, and rationalizations; they never work through it to realize that the girl who turned them down is just another human being, living their life.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

E1M1 posted:

Think you might be thinking of "fibromyalgia" there, the clinical illness where your body just kind of hurts sometimes and it's definitely not because you're getting older. Morgellons is the one where you think you've got shitloads of skin worms that turn out to actually just be lint or pieces of string

I think they both fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

blarzgh posted:

We are all supposed to experience rejection and failure, because it teaches us that other people have their own thoughts and feelings and decisions to make.

Think about all the nice guy loving weirdos, who consistently avoid the rejection endgame, either through soft-playing every opportunity they have, or instantly retreating to their internet hug groups, and rationalizations; they never work through it to realize that the girl who turned them down is just another human being, living their life.

Oh I misread. I thought you were implying that after wholesale rejection there would eventually be some level of communal understanding and acceptance, almost like a hazing ritual. "Pampered kids don't realize that if they just 'stuck it out' eventually they'd be welcome in Valhalla."

Yeah your version makes more sense.

• Locked thread