Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

however i did buy into Dirt Rally before it was done for $20 and it turned out to be a gem though

by before it was done i mean it had pre-release betas on steam totally playable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo why bother even playing the stupid game, if you preorder the latest destiny expansion they give you the best rocket launcher and coolest space motorcycle in the game.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

which version of quake? i'm busy tonight and tomorrow but maybe this weekend? let me know

quake live, i dont even play it, 1v1 on dm6

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

quake is bad play ut instead it is much better

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Traxis posted:

quake is bad play ut instead it is much better
ur about to get punched the gently caress out

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

the only thing bad about ut is it gave the world cliffyb

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i mean we can have both

quake for the real FPS crowd

and then UT for the gimmick FPS crowd

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

DoctorGonzo posted:

I díd it with MGSV. The game sucked, never again.

Dude, what? MGS5 is baller.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

numberoneposter posted:

however i did buy into Dirt Rally before it was done for $20 and it turned out to be a gem though

by before it was done i mean it had pre-release betas on steam totally playable

yeah the totally playable thing is key. a few years ago i paid $15 for kerbal space program, but i got my money's worth within the first month, easily. because it was already fun as-is.

extra stout posted:

quake live, i dont even play it, 1v1 on dm6

this is going to happen. believe it

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Yuh, I was in that gamin' store lookin' to get some paddles for my boys machine when the little skinny feller behind the counter asks if I want to preeorder "hello" or some such. Gah dang, hate goin' in thar.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
quake live is pay to play now, in case you guys didnt own it and were counting on f2p

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
One time I pre ordered a less popular game from Gamestop and they didn't even bother to order any copies. They gladly took my money and never had any intention of honoring their agreement.

Another time I tried to buy Unreal Tournament 2k4 from Gamestop on release day and the fucker gave me a whole bunch of poo poo for not pre ordering. He went on and on with this lecture on how I wouldn't get a copy for weeks because no store would be foolish enough to hold inventory. I then walked across the street and bought it from Best Buy.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

The Dennis System posted:

The mgs5 disc looks shockingly like an evolve disc. Maybe he got that one by mistake?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RVWinkle posted:

I then walked across the street and bought it from Best Buy.

Yeah what really sealed the deal on the preorder poo poo for me wasn't even the advent of the digital stuff, it was just the fact that Gamestop et all would be hugely up their own buttholes while big box retailers stocked poo poo tons of copies anyway. I got GTA4 at midnight at Best Buy with no preorder, and they gave me a free t-shirt. I still have it I think.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
first game I ever preordered was Zelda OoT for the gold cartridge and the Musselmen fire temple music

probably the only thing i ever preordered that was worth it other than the disc they gave you with a bunch of old Zeldas with Wind Waker

back in my day video games and their marketing were cool and good

but only for Zelda apparently

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Dennis System posted:

MGSV legitimately sucked dick solely because it pulled one of those faux-cinematic "you're a wounded soldier wandering through a hospital" moments where the controls are rear end and you have to sit around listening to an NPC blather on about poo poo you don't care about before you've even gotten oriented. I sat through 20 minutes of bullshit before I set down the controller and said "no way."

That poo poo isn't novel, it isn't fun, and it goes directly against a series that by and large had the good sense to throw you into the action right away. It could work if you're 13 and have a ton of free time, but I ain't sitting around waiting for it to "get good." I've got wikipedia and youtube mothefuckers I ain't gotta be held hostage for poo poo if I don't want to.

Throw me a save file where I can jump right into the open world bits which I heard are awesome and yeah, I bet it's pretty baller.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I dunno I'm pretty tempted by Project Highrise and The Final Station.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I will pre-order games now and again because I have a budget for entertainment and just take it from there.

Most of my stuff through is purchased through Steam and have taken advantage of their return policy if something is a huge turd.

The only time I was going to pre-order a game from GameStop was in 2014 and they had the "digital downloads" in the store and the guy told me that I'd have to come back in on release day to pick up my code.
I said, "That's stupid. I'll just buy it from your website and get it the code emailed to me." I haven't stepped foot in a GameStop since.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I dunno I'm pretty tempted by Project Highrise and The Final Station.

Aww poo poo just the other day I was thinking 'gee I'd really love to play SimTower again but idk if I can handle the lovely elevators.'

And yeah that second one is on my list as well. But idk like what's really the point of preordering them?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mdm posted:

first game I ever preordered was Zelda OoT for the gold cartridge and the Musselmen fire temple music

probably the only thing i ever preordered that was worth it other than the disc they gave you with a bunch of old Zeldas with Wind Waker

back in my day video games and their marketing were cool and good

but only for Zelda apparently
i preordered that and Majora's Mask. i never did it for anything else and never will because video games have been mostly poo poo for about a decade. that's what happens when the only mid-sized game developer is bethesda and everyone else goes bankrupt or gets bought out

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there's a bunch of cool games still you just have to sift through a lot of bullshit

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Aww poo poo just the other day I was thinking 'gee I'd really love to play SimTower again but idk if I can handle the lovely elevators.'

And yeah that second one is on my list as well. But idk like what's really the point of preordering them?

I guess it depends on whether you can hold off from buying them long enough to see which way the reviews are going. If you plan on buying it as soon as it comes out on launch day regardless then you might as well preorder and get the discount or bonus content or whatever they offer.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i preordered resident evil 4 in 2004

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Also, Yoot Tower (simtower 2) used to be freeware. a free copy of it might still be kicking around somehwere. It's much better than Simtower but has all the classic graphics.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I guess it depends on whether you can hold off from buying them long enough to see which way the reviews are going. If you plan on buying it as soon as it comes out on launch day regardless then you might as well preorder and get the discount or bonus content or whatever they offer.

Yeah true, I was just thinking 'well if I was gonna play that tower game on day 1 anyway might as well take the discount.' I can handle a lot of shittiness from games if they scratch a genre itch. Tbh I almost pulled the trigger lol but I just now bought the new Hitman so whatever.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
last game i preordered was resident evil revelations 2. i like resident evil games, and for years capcom has done really solid pc ports so it was an exception to my no preorder policy. it was an awful port that ran like garbage on every computer known to man. they eventually patched it into an acceptable state, but that was enough of a lesson to get through even my stupid head.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Canadians, between our increasingly-poo poo dollar and 30% off pre-order deals and various other deals which stack. Pre-ordering at the right time can mean you essentially pay half price for the game. At least you can cancel/send it back for a refund relatively consequence-free.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

there's a bunch of cool games still you just have to sift through a lot of bullshit
there will always be good games. maybe i'm romanticizing things, but it feels like you have to search a lot harder to find quality games these days

i hate how EA has a monopoly on video games for every sports league except for the NBA, and also that they hold the IPs for NBA Jam and NHL Hitz. they'd rather make a yearly sports simulator with little to no changes every year than a fun arcade game where you can break the backboard or check someone through the boards

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

symbolic posted:

kickstarting is worse than pre-ordering because at least you know for a fact you're going to get SOMETHING when you pre-order

This. Preordering is stupid as gently caress because you don't know what you are getting, but kickstarting something is insanely stupid because you may not get anything at all.

Don't contribute to kickstarter anything and when a game is released just wait a few days for reviews/hotfixes to come out you dumb impatient babies.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I once pre-ordered Matrix online for $5 and they gave me $15 in store credit and a beta key for the game

I played the beta and canceled the pre-order the next day and it was the same clerk and he looked sadder than usual

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i pre ordered overwatch and lmao that is the worst mistake i've made in like 10 or 15 years

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mind the walrus posted:

MGSV legitimately sucked dick solely because it pulled one of those faux-cinematic "you're a wounded soldier wandering through a hospital" moments where the controls are rear end and you have to sit around listening to an NPC blather on about poo poo you don't care about before you've even gotten oriented. I sat through 20 minutes of bullshit before I set down the controller and said "no way."

That poo poo isn't novel, it isn't fun, and it goes directly against a series that by and large had the good sense to throw you into the action right away. It could work if you're 13 and have a ton of free time, but I ain't sitting around waiting for it to "get good." I've got wikipedia and youtube mothefuckers I ain't gotta be held hostage for poo poo if I don't want to.

Throw me a save file where I can jump right into the open world bits which I heard are awesome and yeah, I bet it's pretty baller.

This is exactly my problem with those games (maybe all Japanese AAA titles, I don't know). My friend (a goon) was trying to show me how awesome MGS2 or something was. After 15 minutes or so I asked, "So when do you get the play the loving game?" I don't want to watch a movie, I want to click buttons and keys and stuff.

The_end
May 17, 2014
I preordered Duel Shaft Explosion Highway and the developer went bankrupt.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Preordering makes sense when you realize taking money from impulsive manchildren with no self control is a good thing. Cull the weak and such, Trump 2016.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes you get cool bonus itams. The only game I preordered was GTAV and it was worth it cause I put a billion hours into it. I may preorder dishonored 2 but I dunno.

E: there's some ridiculous preorder box set for dishonored 2 on Amazon for like $200 lol

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
i would pre order a game

if they made pics of what the game will look like and it looks super cool,

and they make pics of downloadable content and it looks super cool,

and if they say people are giving them millions of dollars so they will for sure be able to make the super cool game,

i will not only pre order the game,

i will pre order the downloadable content,

in fact,

i would spend thousands, possibly tens of thousands of dollars on the downloadable content,

if the representative pics look super cool and they write super cool descriptions on what the things in the pics do

(this has actually happened and is happening right now at this very minute)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Actually I take that back I preordered the season pass for Bioshock Infinite:doh:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is exactly my problem with those games (maybe all Japanese AAA titles, I don't know). My friend (a goon) was trying to show me how awesome MGS2 or something was. After 15 minutes or so I asked, "So when do you get the play the loving game?" I don't want to watch a movie, I want to click buttons and keys and stuff.

I preordered A Link Between Worlds like 4 days before it came out because I knew I was getting out of work between 11:30 and midnight and they'd be open because it was the same night PS4/XBOX were released. The people that were in line for the consoles were visibly annoyed that the guys at the store let me in at 11:58 so I could get the game at 12 and walk out as they were letting people in.

It was worth it just for the scowl on those nerds faces because they'd been waiting in front of the store since I walked by them at 4:30.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stuntman posted:

quake live is pay to play now, in case you guys didnt own it and were counting on f2p

i think i own it?? have to check when i get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what do goons think of early access, when you're paying to beta test the game for the devs?

• Locked thread