Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

symbolic posted:

what do goons think of early access, when you're paying to beta test the game for the devs?

it made it alright to charge whatever the gently caress for a broken game that will never make it out of alpha/beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I wait 3-6 months and get the "Super best awesome game ever" for 50% of the launch price and all the DLC free.

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

Devil may cry 2 broke me of that long ago, but back then it wasn't uncommon for stores to sell out of a game where I live. The only game I can think of in recent years that was actually hard to find upon release was last of us.

DMC2 was such trash that it's really rare that I buy a game without waiting for reviews, and I'm sure as hell not preordering anything.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

symbolic posted:

what do goons think of early access, when you're paying to beta test the game for the devs?

i think it depends on how playable the game is and what they charge for it. like I got Kerbal space program back in 2012 for $15 and I got my money's worth in the first month because it was still a lot of fun as-is.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

nomadologique posted:

i pre ordered overwatch and lmao that is the worst mistake i've made in like 10 or 15 years

You preordered Overwatch? You used to be my hero. Did you hear that sound just now? That's the sound of you falling off the pedestal I put you on.

I had Duke Nukem Forever preordered because I wanted a stupid bust of Duke, but I played the demo for 10 minutes and canceled.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's not like this is loving 1997 where not pre-ordering means you might have to wait longer to get a game because the store sold out of their first shipment. poo poo's all digital now.

"hurrrrr yeah i'm gonna give publishers my money in advance so that if it turns out the goddamn reviewers are full of poo poo and the game sucks, i'm locked in to the purchase!! hey why do games keep on sucking and shipping with huge bugs all the time????????"

goddamn you're so loving compulsively desperate to spend spend spend that you can't even wait for the product to be real before you buy it. loving incredible

more like no mans LIE amirite :smug:

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

MGSV legitimately sucked dick solely because it pulled one of those faux-cinematic "you're a wounded soldier wandering through a hospital" moments where the controls are rear end and you have to sit around listening to an NPC blather on about poo poo you don't care about before you've even gotten oriented. I sat through 20 minutes of bullshit before I set down the controller and said "no way."

That poo poo isn't novel, it isn't fun, and it goes directly against a series that by and large had the good sense to throw you into the action right away. It could work if you're 13 and have a ton of free time, but I ain't sitting around waiting for it to "get good." I've got wikipedia and youtube mothefuckers I ain't gotta be held hostage for poo poo if I don't want to.

Throw me a save file where I can jump right into the open world bits which I heard are awesome and yeah, I bet it's pretty baller.

Pretty sure you could have hobbled your way out of that burning hospital in the time it took you to tell us you're not 13 years old

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I traded in a bunch of pretty good ps3 games to buy PC brink on launch day. That was by far the most I've ever been disappointed in a game.

It was made by the guys who did Wolfenstein: ET. How did they gently caress it up so badly? :(

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

symbolic posted:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
^^^^^^
:cripes: I have no words for this. Well besides that those people are depressingly delusional. And dumb. And if it wasn't so funny it would be sad.

symbolic posted:

This, I'm not as concerned about. If the game is playable and actually good for being early access, then I can understand. I might even have an early access game, not sure.

The thing is, if I'm beta testing a game for you then I want a discount. I'm not paying full price for an unfinished game.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This, I'm not as concerned about. If the game is playable and actually good for being early access, then I can understand. I might even have an early access game, not sure.
i agree. i bought Killing Floor 2 when it was early access and it was pretty solid from the get-go. the devs have kept adding content and making it better, so i definitely got my money's worth.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Crow_Rodeo posted:

more like no mans LIE amirite :smug:

daaaaaaaaaaaamn :pcgaming: :supaburn: :aaa: :cawg: :wth: :yayclod: :pcgaming:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Pretty sure you could have hobbled your way out of that burning hospital in the time it took you to tell us you're not 13 years old

Yeah but I had more fun doing this.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

who the hell even pays full price when the game is going to be half price in 6 months on steam..

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The thing is, if I'm beta testing a game for you then I want a discount. I'm not paying full price for an unfinished game.

It sucks to get burned out on a game before it even comes out though. With some games I don't want to play all over again when its "finished".

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Last one I did was for Xenoblade because of the weird distribution deal with Nintendo and Gamestop.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The two games I want to play on early access are Days of War and Secrets of Grindea.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=633799024

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269770/

I'm willing to pay money to play them early, am I an idiot?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

who the hell even pays full price when the game is going to be half price in 6 months on steam..
a lot of people. you'd think they'd learn

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ColoradoCleric posted:

The two games I want to play on early access are Days of War and Secrets of Grindea.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=633799024

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269770/

I'm willing to pay money to play them early, am I an idiot?

Eh, I'd say no. Like I said, I think early access isn't bad unless you get a discount or something. Again, even if it's early access, I'd wait for reviews. Since it is early access it could be even a bigger piece of poo poo right out the gate. Who knows though?

I THINK I got Battle of Empires 1914-1918 early access because it had a heavy discount during a sale and because there are basically zero WWI RTS games and very, very few WWI games that exist at all. If it was an early access game then that was a big mistake. According to the reviews now, you basically have a base game and have to buy everything for it. To be honest I haven't even played it yet though. :shrug:

Glad I got it on sale. So even with early access....... wait for the reviews. Don't get it on day 1, or wait for a discount or sale because same with preordering you have no clue what you are getting into.

Otherwise, yes you are an idiot.

disclaimer: These are my stupid opinions.

edit: I can't tell looking at my library which games I've gotten early access and I'm not about to go through each one to see if it is. But I STILL don't even get those unless it's on sale. I honestly have no idea when I bought a game at full price. Must be around 5+ years. At least.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 28, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

symbolic posted:

i made the mistake of this with Starbound.

I'm never doing Early Access again, gently caress you chucklefish

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

BillmasterCozb posted:

i made the mistake of this with Starbound.
same, but my friend convinced me it was going to be good eventually, so that's why i bought it

hoo boy

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I preordered Pokémon Moon because I like Pokémon :banjo:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Preordering saved me a poo poo ton of money. I preordered a bunch of games when the Canadian dollar wasn't absolute poo poo. I'm getting Zelda for 50CAD. It's going for nearly 90CAD with the new Canadian dollar.

Preordering games is more freezing the price. If the economy doesn't tank cancel the preorder. If it does, you just got the game half off.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Houle posted:

Preordering saved me a poo poo ton of money. I preordered a bunch of games when the Canadian dollar wasn't absolute poo poo. I'm getting Zelda for 50CAD. It's going for nearly 90CAD with the new Canadian dollar.

Preordering games is more freezing the price. If the economy doesn't tank cancel the preorder. If it does, you just got the game half off.

The US dollar isn't quite as volatile. So you are working off of the fluctuation of currency as opposed to waiting until the game goes on sale. With a preorder, you generally pay full price..... but you might get a lovely pink gun or some other dumb poo poo for buying the game before it comes out.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
The gently caress kind of name is Secrets of Grindea

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

mdm posted:

The gently caress kind of name is Secrets of Grindea

It's too obvious of a joke, but do they run with it?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

cuz I wanna play it now and who cares about $20 lol

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Moridin920 posted:

cuz I wanna play it now and who cares about $20 lol

I feel like that too sometimes, but there are so many good games coming out each year, it's really easy to build up a queue and play everything 6 months after release.

Some online only multiplayer games are worth full price right away though I guess.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I found an Oblivion shirt, so i guess i pre-ordered that? Which is probably why i've never pre ordered anything since.

I also 'pre-ordered' Xcom 2 a few hours before it was released on steam, so not sure that actually counts as i was going to buy it anyway. (and i had been watching all the people playing it and knew it would be good enough to justify the price)

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I don't buy games anymore until I see some post release gameplay. Actually that's a lie, the last game I bought at release was Dark Souls 3 but I haven't even been playing it :shobon:

tegan and sara
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
critical SA internet humor sourcing

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Preordering on Amazon is nice cuz of the discount. Preordering at GameStop is dumb as gently caress because you get no discount, still have to return later to pick it up, and unless you're preordering some huge hyped POS they'll have plenty of copies of anyways, you'll likely not even get your game at release.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Preordering on Amazon is nice cuz of the discount. Preordering at GameStop is dumb as gently caress because you get no discount, still have to return later to pick it up, and unless you're preordering some huge hyped POS they'll have plenty of copies of anyways, you'll likely not even get your game at release.

Because people intend to sell back the game, and get credit towards gameinformer or the next console. Hardware sales are back in style

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Edgar posted:

Amazon Prime gives a discount if you preorder
discount also valid during the two first weeks after release, giving easily at least a week for you to look up videos on Youtube or some poo poo

half the time the 'second' shipment of games have the preorder codes in the cases as well so you don't even miss out on that poo poo

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

symbolic posted:

Worth it if one (or more) of these is true:

A: You really care about the game in question and want to be able to contribute your opinion towards how the game is designed/balanced.

B: The early access gets you a full copy of the game on release and is cheaper than the price will be on release.

C: You know you will just really love the game and OH MY GOD I NEED TO PLAY IT NOW!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

I feel like that too sometimes, but there are so many good games coming out each year, it's really easy to build up a queue and play everything 6 months after release.

Some online only multiplayer games are worth full price right away though I guess.

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong the games on my 'buy now gently caress it' list are not many and I end up waiting to see how things pan out most of the time.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

wyntyr posted:

I preordered Pokémon Moon because I like Pokémon :banjo:
Something like this is probably the only instance a preorder makes sense, it's a slam dunk sure thing that it's going to be a Pokemon game and if you like that then that's what you're gonna get. Maybe the extra features and modes differ but you pretty much already know what you ordered.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

RVWinkle posted:

Another time I tried to buy Unreal Tournament 2k4 from Gamestop on release day and the fucker gave me a whole bunch of poo poo for not pre ordering.

I went to GameStop and bought Lollipop Chainsaw on release day and the goon behind the counter scolded me for not pre-ordering because now I wouldn't get the sexy extra pre-order costumes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AutomaticPrince posted:

I went to GameStop and bought Lollipop Chainsaw on release day and the goon behind the counter scolded me for not pre-ordering because now I wouldn't get the sexy extra pre-order costumes.

yeah bro now you can't fap optimally what were you thinking

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Gamestop employee insulted a customer for not preordering a game soon enough to get a limited edition. Then they insulted another customer for WANTING to preorder a game early. All while bugging you to preorder a game when you check out.

Wasn't there a big story of a guy who preordered and prepaid for a big limited edition of a game from Gamestop only to show up during the day of the midnight launch to pick it up and they told him, "Oh, we plum ran out of that limited edition. We were supposed to get 4, but only got 3, so you should have been here at midnight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I was about to say pretty much nothing since Zelda 64 but I forgot about that Xenoblade Wii game which I ended up enjoying but eh wasn't my kinda game any more. Sold it for about the same as I paid for it on SA Mart so someone's happy with it :sun:

• Locked thread