Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Lowtax posted:

Also the little problem of not having such a community (which, in turn, tends to turn people off from joining or buying anything) has kind of resulting in a steep financial slide into the toilet, to the point where I cannot even afford to hire a full time coder / admin. So I'm in a hole I need to dig myself out of. It was my fault for not properly monetizing it or cashing in when things were good, ala moot.

4chan was a financial sinkhole for an incredibly long time, and when moot bowed out the best he could do for it was, in his words "tried to leave in the best place possible by focusing on servers, financials, the team, the code, to make sure it’s in a good place and not teetering on the brink when I moved on".

The closest he got to "cashing out" was getting people to invest a few million into a venture of his that ended up being unprofitable and unsellable

Lowtax posted:

The problem is balancing the social dynamics and giving people what they want versus what is "best" for the community. If I were suddenly to say "GBS rules are now reverting to 2002 GBS rules," it'd be such a drastic change that folks would abandon ship and the overwhelmingly negative mood towards seemingly arbitrary dramatic rule changes would cause resentment in the community. That's the opposite of what I'd like. I know it sounds retarded for me to be writing all these words and trying to look at things from a sociological point of view, because it's just an internet forum and I've obviously already done my damage to it, but changes, no matter how minute, make a huge difference in peoples' perception and the overall attitude of the forums. Back when the mods and admins and I were all hardasses about grammar and spelling and non-internet speak, that was pretty much a unique feature for an internet forum. Then I got lax and laziness, from both myself and the users, slowly set in, and this laziness caused the creativity and community to wilt.

Anyway, I was just trying to point out there's no "easy" solution here, much like how people suggest we just upgrade vB to its latest version. It's not that easy, and dear god if it was, I'd do it.

You're right that there's no easy solution and that anything drastic is bound to piss people off, but I don't think the notion of refraining from making any changes on the basis that even the smallest change can have a negative effect is going to help.

I think you need to identify what it is about the way things currently are that isn't to your liking, and think about what has contributed to each of those things getting that way, and then think about what sort of poo poo you can do to nudge things back to where you think they should be.

Rolling back the rules doesn't also roll back the rest of the site(and it's members) to be as they were during whatever year. But if you think there's too much pointless unfunny shitposting in places it doesn't belong, for example, then the thing to do is curb it with a fair warning and enforce it by being more aggressive with gassing bad threads or probating bad posters, especially since lovely responses to lovely threads mean there are a lot of turds floating atop the precious first page.

This isn't our site, it's yours, and it's up to you to decide what culture of posting you what to promote or disincentivise as you attempt to reanimate this dead gay forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Aint paying for plat, either. Don't need em, don't want em.

Will someone giving me me a big pile of lovely red text declaring me a cheapskate count as me contributing?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Germstore posted:

GBS isn't alt-right, and the few times someone is legitimately alt-right (which as far as I can tell means literally advocating fascism) they are laughed out.

Alt-right seems to mean anything from being conservative but not the traditional Fox-News kind to not towing the line on being politically correct to being a run of the mill /b/poster to being /pol/ or stormfront.

It seems pretty meaningless now, though I don't think it could be said that GBS is anything resembling whatever it is that alt-right can reasonably be thought to be.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Fat Shat Sings posted:

have a patreon

Not so much this, but start a gofundme/kickstarter to pay for a coder to do poo poo that needs doing and to implement some of the good suggestions from the "suggest new features" thread to more straightforwardly deal with one of the problems the site has without getting into the nebulous and hard to account for world of monthly donations.

Or an official merch store, googling "somethingawful merch" comes up with a bunch of lovely cafepress type stores selling grenade logo things and awesomeface tshirts so there's got to be some kind of demand for this stuff.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Also change is fine but try and strike a balance between a social justice safespace hellhole where any joke is met with 5x as much outrage and everyone is expected to have D&D without the citations and a complete shitpost wilderness.

Bring back Garbage Pit.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

Maybe I'm just not reading the right threads, but I see good threads get gassed a lot more often because they start out good, then a few pages in turn into a seriouspost slapfight about politics or gamergate or whatever.

The few threads I've seen turn into that and get gassed had people discussing poo poo pretty reasonably, garbage pit was a great thread filled with mostly good posts with the only super obvious exceptions being from flagrantly disingenuous mods and one troon who apparently had a long history of harassing another troon(with textbook-abusive poo poo) because they were open to talking about tranny stuff without throwing up "gender is a social construct" as the sole defence of wanting to be a girl.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I recommend selling famous historical regdates, 9/11, the battle of waterloo, you name it there is money to be made there

They should be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

I hate yankees posted:

i do not understand how ralp was a mod for so long, for example.

Hey now, ralp was a pretty reasonable individ-

Oh nevermind

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Germstore posted:

it's not the pissing itself it's the, "someone put urine in my cheerios, please do a thing about it. now I cannot eat these cheerios. I'm not mad I swear. It's just that it's dumb to put urine in breakfast cereal" reaction

Have trolling standards dropped so far that the best people can muster is a minor inconvenience, where the gotcha moment is when the victim declares "Well that wasn't very nice."?

"I like to see people react to things they dislike with a measured/tepid response" is an odd way to try to justify things, in times gone by people generally wanted to see meltdowns for their efforts.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Fat Shat Sings posted:

See Also: The ironic love of My Little Pony when it first came out to troll people. "Haha I picked the gayest show for babies to say I like" then all of a sudden it's a civil rights movement for the worst people on the planet that want to gently caress cartoon horses.

I think the MLP crowd probably has a very large crossover with the autistic furry and/or sonic fandoms, I don't really buy that it was something people accidentally jumpstarted by pretending to be fans of something dumb given the insanity of those other groups.

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I love watching robocop meltdown videos (Trigglypuff, etc.) but I don't want the people who cause them to gain any iota of power because they want to cordon off all of the black people in Chicago because they read The Bell Curve once, and execute/exile anyone not supportive of Donald Trump. So it's a fine line

The hulagirl owning Lyft drivers are really into all that? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Putty posted:

help im meltign cause somrthing awful is DONE FOR

This is a good lowtax impersonation.

• Locked thread