Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

im only 14 and i like this song!!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Wizard Master posted:

Reddit is fail, but to be honest I think GBS sucks poo poo too. It's why I mostly post in FYAD, which is a lot funnier and better than GBS. The posters here are a bunch of loser 30 year old alcoholics who think they're so funny but they're not. No one in GBS comes close to being as funny as the likes of g0m, manyak and people like that.

word?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lowtax posted:

It's pretty cool because people would constantly tell me SA was successful despite me, not because of me, and so I distanced myself from it and here we are. There's no sense of "community" anymore, there's no sense of pride anymore, and it makes me kinda sad because in the first few years of its creation, people would make friends, show effort, and actually be proud the content on these forums they created was the best out there. Now effort is viewed as a bad thing, saying anything positive about the forums is a bad thing, being associated with other goons is a bad thing, etc etc.

I dunno, maybe its because this site is approaching its 17th anniversary and communities aren't designed or able to last that long on the internet, and the "newness / difference" feeling has faded away long ago, but drastic changes are going to be made around here to try to bring some sense of this all back.

idk man i joined last year i and i found a community to hang out with that isn't gbs but i took the impression that gbs was a quarantine in the first place anyways to make really dumb and bad posts

if i really actually wanted discussions, id find the other forums that provide this and they're great honestly :shobon:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lowtax posted:

It never used to be that way. In its prime, before the ESS-JAY-DOUBLEYOU drama, it was a truly creative and fun forum with folks who befriended each other and put effort into the things they wrote and created.

Now we have "idk" and "i" and people who believe this is a dumping ground for poo poo posts, which it essentially is.

I'm sorry to hear that it's actually turned out this way that you didn't want it to be.

quite frankly I'm pretty drunk at the moment but I can say earnestly that when I sift through GBS there's like maybe one or two threads that are considered a *gem* like right now the loving thread about the SJW trying to fire a Lyft Driver, that was good :psyduck:

I just am letting you know that even though I've been a pretty quiet lurker for the last decade of the internet, I heard about SA and only have joined it last year, I really enjoy SA even if its considered in its later days. I've actually made quite a few friends and we get to play a few games here and there and make really dumb bad jokes too. What I mean to say that I actually find Something Awful in some areas of this forum to be more sane and rational compared to the fringe and esoteric elements out there that SA mocks and it makes me realize I'm not the only one out there that mocks these crazy assholes~ I just want you to know this because despite what you may think about GBS there are other areas of SA that actually has some good qualities here and there and there's so many variety of posters that has made my time here so far really enjoyable and it develops my sense of humor. It also has given me a much thicker skin ontop of that.

Really should thank Zen Death Robot for the most part actually for telling people how loving stupid they're being and keeping it in check :sun:

I also actually read some of the front pages and there are some good ones here and there, so don't doubt yourself man. They're hilarious.

I do get the problems about cliques though but I never really gave a poo poo about those

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

rear end posted:

People who poo poo on threads usually have no redeeming qualities, so yeah, to hell with em

It's literally this that I got the impression that GBS was just a dumping ground to make unbelievably lovely posts as a special olympics to see how edgy you could be

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Applewhite posted:

Exactly. Just let it flow.

I dunno. Negativity is sort of the core of GBS. And I dunno if it's so much negativity as, again, decompression.

If you want a chill place to be positive and chill, there's BYOB.

GBS is for people who have something pent up inside and need to let it out.

Now, usually what gets pent up inside of people is frustration, anger and dissatisfaction, so when people come to GBS that's what they let out, but creativity can get pent up, too, and that's why you get Atma and SIB posting their amazing CYOAs in here and not in BYOB.

i could agree if the first few posts weren't literally "im gay" or "kill yourself op" over and over

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Applewhite posted:

Now all that being said, it has made possible all the jokes skirting the boundaries of the rule, which are funnier than just telling the OP to kill themself.

yea that's precisely it, "kill yourself OP" is lowest common denominator of the shitposting scale that you just scroll through it all anyways, eyes glazed over.

i dont mind reading dumb bad posts if its on purpose instead of just taking up space all the time

like this one, its taking up space~ :ocelot:

if people are unloading, at least make your punches connect with the shitposting punching bag instead of just flailing allover it is all im sayin~

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Applewhite posted:

Spoiler Alert: game of thrones is for children.

this is correct

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Captain Yossarian posted:

I just cracked my neck so hard I almost puked lol

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jack Trades posted:

I know that every time I see Lowtax post, I poo poo and piss my pants in terror.

HAHAHAHAA

i mean

hell, same

• Locked thread