Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You're Prez. As in The President Of Basketball.

They said defined nicknames makes it easier for them to have natural dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Prez has an interesting career track, from police detective to high school teacher to NBA player.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i am really curious how president + justice = orange juice

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

Sky Shadowing posted:

You're Prez. As in The President Of Basketball.

They said defined nicknames makes it easier for them to have natural dialogue.

I'm not going to lie, I'm hugely disappointed by this. But I'm buying the game regardless so I'll just put up with someone else's nickname for another year. Hopefully the natural dialogue is better than Spike Lee's Tedious Exposition Featuring Spike Lee from last year. Not that doing that would be particularly hard.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Couldn't you change your nickname immediately after the spike lee stuff?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

zelah posted:

It only takes affect after the 1st year/completing the spike lee stuff.

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

zelah posted:

Yes, but practically all of the interactions still had you being called Freq, as well as during player of the game, pregame and even more than 50% of the time in game as well. It's a minor thing, really, but it just annoys me since I'd had the same nickname from '11 through to '15.

Edit: At least I have the benefit of having a super common first/last name combo, so in most situations announcers during a game are only calling me by my last name like everyone else.

tank is raid leader O.K. fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 3, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The worst part is that poo poo crept into the actual gameplay with that Freq dance that locked your character in and hosed up your transition defense.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Yeah I'm real into being able to chose your own celebrations

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
People didn't skip literally every cutscene?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oberst posted:

People didn't skip literally every cutscene?

You can't skip some cutscenes. Believe me, as someone that only plays Mycareer up until 2k16 in which the story mode was so horrible I actually tried the other modes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Uh, if you skipped the cutscenes you would have missed the whole Bo$$-Key-Yacht$ segment!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

16 got me real into MyGM. It seemed too easy to get favorable trades and end up with 4-5 1st round picks every year while still making it to the finals though. Did the difficulty you set at the start matter for the simulation? Or just played games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

zelah posted:

16 got me real into MyGM. It seemed too easy to get favorable trades and end up with 4-5 1st round picks every year while still making it to the finals though. Did the difficulty you set at the start matter for the simulation? Or just played games

That's always MyGM period, because potential boosts trade rating more than basically anything else.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fantasy draft with Dar, Booker, Zingus, Wiggins,and Noel won like 7 straight titles lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtLxfbyvmA

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Tae posted:

You can't skip some cutscenes. Believe me, as someone that only plays Mycareer up until 2k16 in which the story mode was so horrible I actually tried the other modes.

:eyepop:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Prelude is out

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I skipped 2k16 - did they fix the salary cap already? It's always annoying how I can only resign my 12 year veteran to 380k because I'm over the cap.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Disharmony posted:

I skipped 2k16 - did they fix the salary cap already? It's always annoying how I can only resign my 12 year veteran to 380k because I'm over the cap.

They had bird rights last year, and I think the last few years. Its not 100% realistic, but it has the basics in there. If you had a guy on your team for 3 years and you couldn't resign him you did something odd....

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Weird that Michael B Jordan and Kobe's but from the Apple TV commercial is spilling into this game.

Can you re-do the prelude without redownloading it?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
From what i read, no. Which i kind of like :frogbon:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Man, I want to play more pretty badly now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
As corny as it was the little live action intro was miles better than last year's.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

hopterque posted:

Man, I want to play more pretty badly now.

This was a really good idea by 2K to promote their game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So is there no way to start a different character at all? I sucked rear end thanks to being rusty as all hell, and don't think playing a defensive dude was all that fun.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So is there no way to start a different character at all? I sucked rear end thanks to being rusty as all hell, and don't think playing a defensive dude was all that fun.

You can start a new guy when the full game is out of course just like always but yeah the 'prelude' was a one time thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hopterque posted:

You can start a new guy when the full game is out of course just like always but yeah the 'prelude' was a one time thing.

yea I'll just do that then I guess! Still it was a fun experience, makes me want more even if I sucked which is probably a good omen.

And yea the college ball stuff was pretty much perfect demo fodder.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ooo glad i read this. I was planning on making a lockdown defense type but maybe not now

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

the_american_dream posted:

Ooo glad i read this. I was planning on making a lockdown defense type but maybe not now

Most things are viable, on a whim I made a 7' Center as a paint protector and have had no problem leading my team in points and rebounds as well as enjoying much more responsive D. Mileage may vary.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea just to be clear as a defender I felt like the actual defending mechanics were fine, I just am not good at them and not a super fan of that playstyle as the main focus, usually it's my secondary or something. If you like defence don't worry you'll be fine, I just hosed up for how I like to play.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Really excited to see the celebration mechanics this year. Sad to see that the JR celebration that matters didn't make it though

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I really like the additional celebrations available. Hope the main game has more

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I noticed that some (maybe all?) have multiple animations each. Like the "scream" one seems to have like 8 different animations if you idle on it.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea just about all of them have different variations no matter how simple they are

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They were making a big deal about locational injuries last year, right? I hope they built upon that with accurate simulation of groin trauma this year

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've never messed around with MyPlayer before, how do you throw a pick as a big man

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Set a screen, the ball handler will auto use it.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

morestuff posted:

I've never messed around with MyPlayer before, how do you throw a pick as a big man

Hold circle/B and if it makes sense the ball handler will use it. Make sure to stay put unless you're trying to pick up a foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh sweet they specify dunk packages with players again I like that way better than the generic "superstar 2 hander off on foot" or whatever

• Locked thread