Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

...unless Amazon didn't tell you that they couldn't meet the date for your preorder. Then, it's 9/21. :butt:

I can't go back to 2k16. drat you, Prelude demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So...I cant skip any cutscenes in mycareer?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Got a dumb question while I count the minutes until im off and can actually play. If i choose a type am i locked out of other badges? Like if I'm a defensive stopper can i still do pick and roll maestro or whatever?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dexo posted:

Because they offer a system that allows you to download custom rosters and changes.

Wait like a week and someone will have all of those players added with realistic stats.

oh right, forgot that. Yea fair enough.

Man I'm really impressed with career mode this year. The expanded schedule is good to let you do more than one thing in a day, stuff like 'different times at the gym may have different people' is a neat idea, the sponsors/friends stuff feels better planned, everything's been improved, pretty much.

Also the story is better, it's still kinda stiff and has the whole 'they're acting like I'm basically basketball Jesus when I'm starting at 55' dissonance at times, but at least this time people talk like actual human beings for the most part and they actually try to introduce characters and have organic feeling relationships rather than "THIS IS YOUR GIRLFRIEND YOU CARE ABOUT HER AND SHE HAS OPINIONS ABOUT YOUR CHOICES (you get to make no choices, nothing matters)".

Also I love the texts system if only because there's almost always an option of 'either talk like a normal person or send like five emojis in a row' and I love sending Coach K just an emoji of flexing

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 17, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
No pre-game show as an expansion team? That's disappointing.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
It's probably known but i just found out the hard way so just fyi to those playing MyTeam. You just start off with 2 or 3 really good free agents but CAN NOT resign them to contracts so the 5 games you have them are best spent in domination mode as the first challenges you have access to are pretty easy with the basic starter scrubs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Double-tap shoot=euro step is back. So is pre-nerf spin that doesn't stop you on a dime because it was OP in 2k16.

Lack of cutscene skip is annoying. The cutscenes are better, but I guess they're just all-in on mycareer being a one playthough thing and not something most people repeat.

Biggest annoyance so far is that the game doesn't save your option for coach calls. I want to keep it on auto all the time, goddamnit.

I don't know if it's my low stats or a changed mechanic, but you can't double-tap the post button to spin anymore, which was kinda my go-to cheat move when a screen is set. Gonna have to rely more on spin-to-win and post-up->fake a million times until I get an open shot.

Defensive AI is still bad. Opponents randomly getting open because guys are randomly double teaming. And I'm on the Celtics, so bad defense shouldn't be an issue.

Marcus Smart is an elite 3 point shooter???

Do NOT cancel practice until you full see the warm-up meter fill up. Otherwise you spent 10 minutes for nothing at the gym.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Did they change the online pausing mechanism

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tae posted:

Do NOT cancel practice until you full see the warm-up meter fill up. Otherwise you spent 10 minutes for nothing at the gym.

This is fine actually it'll credit whatever amount you've filled to your 'doin work' bar. Filling the bar just means you're capped for the day.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

hopterque posted:

This is fine actually it'll credit whatever amount you've filled to your 'doin work' bar. Filling the bar just means you're capped for the day.

I don't mean capping it. I mean if you end practice before the animation fully stops, it only gives you what it filled before the stoppage.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The new simplified play calling system where you hold L1 and use the right stick to pick a play is a huge improvement for me. I've already gone from someone who would only ever call pick and rolls or stick with whatever the coach auto called because I found the play calling menu too fiddly to do quickly enough in the middle of the game, to now where I am calling plays pretty often coming down the floor.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Seltzer posted:

Did they change the online pausing mechanism

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THIS IS

You've posted this like 4 times and no one has answered can you explain what you're talking about and I'll try and find out my pal

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
I'd love to try out different positions in MyCareer, but not being able to skip these cutscenes is going to become unbearable.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I've gone for a 6'7" PG playmaker, with the idea of that being the closest you could get to a LeBron type distributor and PnR ball handler, but still with speed and agility. In college it worked exceptionally well. However I have been drafted by Sacremento, so....

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I've gone for a 6'7" PG playmaker, with the idea of that being the closest you could get to a LeBron type distributor and PnR ball handler, but still with speed and agility. In college it worked exceptionally well. However I have been drafted by Sacremento, so....

Good for you?

Pick and roll w Cousins owns

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THIS IS

You've posted this like 4 times and no one has answered can you explain what you're talking about and I'll try and find out my pal

I'm pretty sure he means that you can pause in online, leading to people dragging rear end and generally being obnoxious

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Unless there's some hidden stat, you get bonuses for having short wingspan and punished for having long arms. So... Why would I have long arms if it actively hampers my block and rebounding?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tae posted:

Unless there's some hidden stat, you get bonuses for having short wingspan and punished for having long arms. So... Why would I have long arms if it actively hampers my block and rebounding?

Because it's significantly easier to block and rebound shots when you have long arms. Like, your rating will not be as high, but having a good reach is still really important.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rebounding is still a useless stat and blocking is cheesy for a pg. But I guess that's just basketball itself since both of those skills are more timing and positional than shooting or being able to power through a layup.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Rebounding wasn't useless last year and it doesn't feel like it this year either. Last year you'd get a lot of rebounds ripped away from you by players with a good rating if you were in there trying to grab contested ones.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I averaged about 9-10 as a pg on sim superstar, unless you're talking about online.

I only say rebounding was useless because you had a cap on total stats you can upgrade last year.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hopterque posted:

Rebounding wasn't useless last year and it doesn't feel like it this year either. Last year you'd get a lot of rebounds ripped away from you by players with a good rating if you were in there trying to grab contested ones.

Which was easily remedied by boxing them out like your supposed to

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Unless I am missing something you cannot see contract stats when doing a fantasy draft in mygm, which really sucks.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the guys have pretty tight ability to be all 'ok this is clearly MEANT to be me' and honestly I don't see that as a bad thing in the big picture. It sucks as a gamer, obviously, but I think it's a net good that you can't just use a guy's image and brand, or make some serial number filed off version of "Washeed Rallace" or something. If the guy doesn't want to be in the game that should be the end of it.

Though that does lead to the question of 'so why put that team in at all rather than focusing on getting some other ones', but that's a different issue.

I remember how NBA Live 96 had a sneaky way of circumventing player licencing. To get MJ, Barkley or any unlicensed player all you had to do was edit the names of their generic stand-ins and their real stats would unlock.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did you gain random stats like Ball IQ in 2k16 after practice, or is that new? Doing almost every practice because they're so much less annoying to do when you remove the coach talking factor.

Anyone else get these supposed different cutscenes that are based on your performance?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Were you all able to get A+ grades in your college games in the Prelude? Am I just really bad

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Steal a lot, although depends on your position.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dexo posted:

Good for you?

Pick and roll w Cousins owns

I suppose so, will have to wait until I play more than 3 minutes a game with him on the court I guess. Running the second unit with Tolliver, Cauley-Stein and Labissiere as the team starts 1-8 ain't much fun I can tell you.

Also an irritating side effect of my genius 6'7" PG plan is that I spend half the time shifted to SG, which is fine defensively (probably a better fit at this early stage too) but is pretty inappropriate for my skillset on offense as I am currently a very poor shooter both off the dribble or spotting up. It would be nice if the AI coach could split offensive position from who you guard on defense so I could play the 1 but guard 2s and 3s a la Giannis.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

If you also really want to be drafted higher you could always turn the difficulty down to rookie to inflate your stats in college even more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Your reward for getting drafted higher is just landing on a shittier team so don't try so hard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I got drafted by the Celtics because remember they have the third pick.

Oddly despite being a 6 5 pg on a team with 5 pgs, I rarely play sg. I think it's because i picked playmaker.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What rating is justin young for you guys?

Edit wtf I can control him???

edit 2: Game-locking bug. If you do the sprint practice and a cutscene happens during it, you're stuck in an animation loop without any way to open the menu.

Tae fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 18, 2016

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

How's the PC version?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FYI, the 2k17 phone app is back. Its a pretty easy way to get 500-1000 VC with the daily reward, and the actual game is decent and can net you an additional 500 every day.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

FYI, the 2k17 phone app is back. Its a pretty easy way to get 500-1000 VC with the daily reward, and the actual game is decent and can net you an additional 500 every day.

By decent, did they change anything about the card game or is it just tap-tastic as usual?

toggle posted:

How's the PC version?

Mileage may vary because PC games, but it runs a little worse than 2k16 (probably because it hasn't gone through 4-5 optimization patches yet). You MUST run with V-sync on or else the game runs like absolute dogshit.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Tae posted:

By decent, did they change anything about the card game or is it just tap-tastic as usual?

They added the ability to watch ads to get more draft pick cards. Otherwise it's the same.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The blacktop mode is new and pretty cool. The energy refresh cards are way more needed now though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Glum, tell us if the random stat boosts from practice are temp or permanent. No one can figure out which one it is, especially because you can only raise free throws by doing practice

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

Glum, tell us if the random stat boosts from practice are temp or permanent. No one can figure out which one it is, especially because you can only raise free throws by doing practice

I know that there a permanent ones from doing various drills in practice, but I wasn't closely involved enough with MyCareer to know whether they are the ones people are doing. I can ask tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think they're permanent since they're only +1 to one stat once in a while.

• Locked thread