Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Live will be good this year based purely on the one video I watched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

got some chores tonight posted:

it takes like five minutes to get through 1/3 of a day where you are doing nothing when your character has to spend time entering a pointless room, putting a bag down, picking up the bag, leaving the room, loading the gym, waiting for justice to ask you to do whatever, running to the minigame that takes 10s, waiting for the minigame to start, doing the minigame, watching a bar load up, leave the gym

God this poo poo is the bane of my(career) existence. It was even worse at launch because the cutscenes were unskippable. I have never, and will never care about my goddamn character's fictional family or his friends. Justice was a step in the right direction since can be an actual a member of the team at least.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder if they'll continue giving you OP broken teammates in career mode, because it's pretty absurd the difference is between being by yourself and then having literal best shooter and Really Good back-up PG on the team.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

God this poo poo is the bane of my(career) existence. It was even worse at launch because the cutscenes were unskippable. I have never, and will never care about my goddamn character's fictional family or his friends. Justice was a step in the right direction since can be an actual a member of the team at least.

I agree with both of you. I actually like the cutscene stuff, but only once, the fact that I can skip through all that poo poo (and the mini-scenes like got some chores said) after makes me never want to complete a season, its just so tedious.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm really excited to play this game's gm mode for too many hours on the Switch. Hoping this one gets a few more cool classic teams. I wonder if the two way roster spots will be added or if they are going to wait until the next one.

At this point the game isn't missing much from being perfect, all I can think of is d-league in franchise mode, classic player challenges (like 2k12 w/ era appropriate presentation/rules), as many classic champion squads as possible, the return of Legends Showcase but not as dlc (one of the more underrated forgotten modes. Kind of shocked they didn't expand on this to make it more arcadey/have an arcade style mode), and if they really wanted to go crazy international tournaments. (but who is going to play as anyone other than Team USA, might as well just hope for USA Squads in Olympic years and leave it at that.) I'm glad this series still owns.

We are getting dangerously close to a 2k curse. The cover stars of 14, 15, and 17 switched teams within 2 years of being on the box.

What mode(s) does everyone play the most in this game? I almost exclusively play exhibition games when friends are over or myLeague mode.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 20, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well, I play MyTeam, but I'm pretty biased :v:

We've got some pretty awesome stuff in this years game, I think you'll agree once everything has been announced

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
And when will the announcing start sir

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I didnt play myteam until last year and now thats my favorite mode. Gonna enjoy the online more before cheese is learned

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I hope y'all bring back NBA Injury R3port for this.

Lillard has at least two songs on the soundtrack, but I don't think they've announced any "guest curators" yet

Edit: and now the soundtrack is on Spotify...

zelah fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 21, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The Glumslinger posted:

We've got some pretty awesome stuff in this years game, I think you'll agree once everything has been announced

For the love of God I hope they made changes to the on the fly menus, they are so so so bad this year

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't really care about any new features, I just want to be able to play the game without wanting to strangle myself with my own small intestine. It feels fine between the cut scenes. I probably wouldn't even mind the weird practice concept or the aggravating attribute caps nearly as much if I could just play without having to feel like I'm wasting my time watching the same shot of my guy walking in and out the door every time.

But the worst is the in-game cut scenes with your coach during timeouts, because sometimes you can skip them and sometimes you can't, and there's no way to tell which is which. It's like one of those Skinner Boxes where sometimes the button gives a food pellet and sometimes it gives an electric shock. And the fact that your coach only seems to have maybe a dozen canned responses, none of which are useful or relevant, only makes it worse.

The absolute capper, though:

"Remember, you're my Jordan, you're my Pippin!"

For the love of God, please proofread the subtitles this year.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

mrnoun posted:

I don't really care about any new features, I just want to be able to play the game without wanting to strangle myself with my own small intestine. It feels fine between the cut scenes. I probably wouldn't even mind the weird practice concept or the aggravating attribute caps nearly as much if I could just play without having to feel like I'm wasting my time watching the same shot of my guy walking in and out the door every time.

This is a year late and it's still a dogshit feature but if you stand behind the pool table or the bar before you advance the game you skip the entire scene of walking out.

I hope they improve the training this year, I doubt they will but it was a tedious grind, I don't want to have to go the gym 10 times to uncap a stat point

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Sorry...

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Just wanted to make sure you had my number

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Alright so basically I just want to say this game is a massive piece of poo poo and I haven't touched it since a little over a month or so since I bought it (on sale and I still feel ripped off). It has completely absolutely unacceptable flaws that shouldn't be tolerated in 2017 (or really ever). 2k is not getting any money from me in the forseeable future. The game left such a bad taste in my mouth I hope EA NBA or whatever it's called is really really good and smashes this franchise. I used to think EA was a bad company after my Fifa experiences but now I consider them ok after dealing with 2k.

For starters. I start the game. Hey it's Paul George, I wonder how long I am going to have to stare at Paul George, 3 minutes ? 5 minutes? 15 minutes? Until I shut off the xbox? "Clear your cache". I did and it's still an issue. It's honestly a joke and I probably deserve a refund off of this "feature" alone. OK I'm in game, time to fire up a myteam game. Oh what's that in the middle of the game I have a big loving banner telling me to back out to the main menu to update something (why is this a thing at all) but I've started a game so I have to stare at this poo poo the entire game.... well maybe not because 2k servers make EA servers look phenomenal and the game will probably disconnect. I'm lucky to finish a single game without serious bullshit caused by the servers. The odds of having a smooth game without a disconnect or crippling lag is 1/5 if I'm being generous. Yes I live in a populated area and have high speed internet and have zero hiccups in other online games. So I can't start the game, then when I do I'm lucky if I can play the only game mode I care about. Great. It gets even better though. Want to buy players for myteam? Nah you're not doing that unless you grind the gently caress out of boring single player challenges, a boring crap shoot 3 v 3 mode or you pay money (not happening ever). Has 2k never heard the of the novel concept of rewarding players for playing the main game mode instead of forcing them into doing trash they don't want to? From the poo poo I read online they absolutely grift people who pay for myteam content and the pack advertisements are outright embarassing.

Ok, why did I write this? Well at least one employee (who is pretty helpful and should be running PR instead of the jokes they have at the moment) reads this thread. Also I honestly want to understand how people who primarily play myteam online can even stand this game or rationalize buying next years game.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 22, 2017

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

eleven extra elephants posted:

Just wanted to make sure you had my number

Fuuuck that was annoying. Which answer are you even supposed to reply with

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
My mother constantly badgering me on text about having 8 turnovers in a game we won by 15. FOR GOD SAKE MOM WHEN I HAVE A 50% USAGE RATE AND GO 49/11/17/3/4 I DON'T THINK ANYONE CARES ABOUT TURNOVERS.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tricks i learned

Never do yellow, only red texts

When the coach talks in practice, skip the practice. You get the bonus regardless like bbiq. Get quick gold doing free throws and the vertical jump.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

For a while you could start up exercises then quit out immediately and you'd still get the upgrade. They've patched it on PC, not sure on consoles

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Unless they updated it like 2 days ago, that trick still works on pc.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I used to try and do practices to see if anyone special shows up. Only got the interview guy

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Tae posted:

Tricks i learned

Never do yellow, only red texts

When the coach talks in practice, skip the practice. You get the bonus regardless like bbiq. Get quick gold doing free throws and the vertical jump.

You upgrade stamina and hustle by doing 5 different exercises in the side room too

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Seltzer posted:

Also I honestly want to understand how people who primarily play myteam online can even stand this game or rationalize buying next years game.

This is my preferred mode and I plan to not buy the game next year because of the bugs and poor servers

"but NBA2K18 will have a new story for single-player MyCareer as you average 40/15/10 against an AI!"
:goonsay:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I just mainly like collecting and doing the ai challenges in myteam. Occasionally going online when im up to being frustrated

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I don't know if it's possible but one day I hope 2k live or some third unknown studio provides us with a game with an off-season half as good as real life

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I wish 2k could incorporate Big3 after watching a few games today

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
I play MyTeam without any of the online play, i just like collecting cards :shrug:

Although i have no idea how to get the ones i actually want

I usually like MyCareer but this year has been a poo poo show. I usually like making two types of player, a fast, stealing, dunker who can make the three and then a huge blocker/rebounder that can dunk and isnt slow as gently caress. With the archetypes its really difficult to get what i want out of it, i understand the point for online play but what if i dont want to play online?? And then MyCareer becomes a countdown of how many loading screens and timeouts and walking in/out a door, and then going to some terrible practice session can i stand before i throw the controller away? And then having to grind out badges just becomes a burn out, i didnt make it through one season of MyCareer this year.

I wouldnt mind playing online occasionally but the servers are hot garbage... But also because there always seems to be some exploit that everyones taking advantage of (This year seemed like it was full of either small sharpshooters or massive bigs that can also shoot threes)

I also wouldnt mind playing pro am but if youre not in the U.S. it seems hard to find a good fit for people available so a better match up system would be good.

Also from what i have read NBA Live 18 isnt coming out now until December? I think if you arent getting it out before the season starts you might as well not bother, so looks like 2K is the only option again.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This is all really good http://uproxx.com/dimemag/nba-2k18-my-league-gm-changes-free-agency-draft-updates-new/

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Sounds cool for sure.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Here is the full article
http://www.operationsports.com/nba-2k18-mygm-myleague-details-screenshots/

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Great, now we can sit around watching a GM walk in and out of a room, not just a created player!

Was anyone really asking for story mode in MyGM? Because I can think of a bunch of existing things I'd rather 2k spent their time on.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I just want to echo the sentiment of "just let me make the best basketball player ever in MyPlayer if I want." Just have there be an option where we can enable/disable him for online play, and if we choose disable, the archetypes BS is removed entirely. I just want to spend ten seasons making a dude with all 99s regardless of position, don't hold me down 2K. :mad:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

This is all in the switch right ?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Get Oliver Stone to direct a MyGM story mode next year, tia

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cultural Marxist posted:

Great, now we can sit around watching a GM walk in and out of a room, not just a created player!

Was anyone really asking for story mode in MyGM? Because I can think of a bunch of existing things I'd rather 2k spent their time on.

If you don't want it just play MyLeague.

But yeah. People like story based things. Just hopefully they are skippable or aren't based purely around grinding.

Gameplay wise I'm for the most part cool with where 2k is at. Dribbling could feel a bit better but yeah I'm not a online player, or card pack buyer so I can't speak to that but that seems less developer intensive as it's just a matter of design decisions and tuning of currency.

It's not like the people animating or writing these events are the same people who would be spending time fixing gameplay bugs or the problems with the game that you speak of anyway.

Only problems I've really had with 2k games recently have just been design decisions and usability issues(Let me loving skip cutscenes and cut down on that grinding BS in MyPlayer, also let me create a super awesome myplayer. and seperate multiplayer myplayer from single player myplayer if you must)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea story mode looks fun as gently caress and doesn't affect the actual game any

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

If you don't want it just play MyLeague.

But yeah. People like story based things. Just hopefully they are skippable or aren't based purely around grinding.

Gameplay wise I'm for the most part cool with where 2k is at. Dribbling could feel a bit better but yeah I'm not a online player, or card pack buyer so I can't speak to that but that seems less developer intensive as it's just a matter of design decisions and tuning of currency.

It's not like the people animating or writing these events are the same people who would be spending time fixing gameplay bugs or the problems with the game that you speak of anyway.

Only problems I've really had with 2k games recently have just been design decisions and usability issues(Let me loving skip cutscenes and cut down on that grinding BS in MyPlayer, also let me create a super awesome myplayer. and seperate multiplayer myplayer from single player myplayer if you must)

Yeah, ok, I'll admit that was unfair of me. Story modes can be brilliant when they're done well, even in games where you wouldn't expect them.

My issues are similar to yours to be honest; unskippable cutscenes (and presentation coming in and out of breaks in play), grinding in MyPlayer, some dodgy animation, dribbling and the idea that the slightest contact on a player stops them as dead as if they'd run into a wall.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man that GM mode story stuff seems neat I hope it's not like past My Career stuff where it winds up fizzling after a bit, it feels like GM mode should have a lot more venues for story stuff to come up and be interesting. I never knew how much I was into GM story mode until just now.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Count me in as another person who grew bored with MyCareer and pretty much exclusively plays MyTeam. The weekly challenges were fun while they lasted during the season and Domination is fun too, but I don't know if I can bring myself to pay full price for 2k18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

sexpig by night posted:

Man that GM mode story stuff seems neat I hope it's not like past My Career stuff where it winds up fizzling after a bit, it feels like GM mode should have a lot more venues for story stuff to come up and be interesting. I never knew how much I was into GM story mode until just now.

I like that they are differentiating MyGM from MyLegue. MyGM seemed to just have annoying stuff bolted on, along with cheats like Mind Trick and stuff.

• Locked thread