Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ball Physics is way better, playing defense in general feels better. Animations are smoother, I actually really like that you need to time your layups (makes dunks better because they are). Post-play is still way overpowered. myTeam/NBA Cards is a lot better this year.

myCareer is better without the Spike Lee stuff, but I got bored of it this year pretty quick again so up to you.

Its not a gigantic change or anything this year, but its a nice improvement overall. I wish they wouldn't charge $60 for it but I still pay it every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not sure what stats I should boost to make post-play overpowered, or maybe PGs are secretly the best post defenders but I really can't do poo poo in the post outside of passing.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
MyCareer is better this year with the revamped practicing and the calendar with multiple events per day. It would be nice though if the AI coach was able to use defensive matchups, why as a 6'6 PG am I asked to defend Curry, CP3, Lillard etc. when I could be moved to guard the 2 and 6'1" Justice could guard the 1? Against OKC I am guarding Westbrook who is just way faster than me whilst our lightning quick lockdown defender Justice is blanketing Andre Roberson.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

I'm not sure what stats I should boost to make post-play overpowered, or maybe PGs are secretly the best post defenders but I really can't do poo poo in the post outside of passing.

I'm on PS4, but if a guy has even somewhat reasonable position in the post, a hook shot will hit like 60% of the time if your timing is good. The fadeaway is also pretty solid, my myCareer PG feasts on those.

To get good, put points into strength to give yourself position, then go hook if your a big or fadeaway if your not (fadeaway on a big helps too).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lockback posted:

I'm pretty sure the game just estimates a single game performance based on their stats, not based on how you play at all. Since they probably made sure most estimates for these players were pretty close to reality, I'd expect simulated games they'd perform pretty close to their "real" seasons stats. If you are playing somewhere between 10 and 20% of the games, your outlier games probably aren't enough to move the needle a ton.

You also might be playing "good" players more minutes and the CPU is playing them less to give them rest from your games.

20% of games is kind of a lot. Like, if I were averaging 12.5 with a guy in games unplayed, but 25ish in games played, his average PPG would be 14.5.

Regardless, it seems that what was actually happening is that my coach had a "strongly to guards" preference, so there you go.
~~~~
As for things this game does right, I'll nth Ball physics. There's a lot less obvious teleporting or vacuuming into good stat players, steals can be timed with more than just the steal button. There's also not that idiotic moving screens issue, even post patch I've seen ONE moving screen and it was against me and I got toasted by it. The "long two" thing is also mostly fixed. Flipside is it errs on the side of "out of bounds" now if you're passing to the corner, so maybe watch out for that.

Biggest change I dislike is having 3 dedicated buttons to passing the ball. gently caress that. I'm not even sure I can play without the icon pass button anyhow.
~~~~

Where are the retired players in your guys' games? I've got an opposing coach that's Dirk Nowitzki and he has an F offense and B- Defense. This seems.... off...

Someone hired Dwight Howard as their head scout despite his low potential and F in scouting. That's a team that's going places.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Woo happy Michael Cooper day everyone

MyTeam online for me has improved dramatically since I started focusing on building my teams like I do on MyGm with defense first

what the gently caress it was stuck on search so I restarted my ps4 and they tagged me with a loss and used up a contract. :mad:

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 12, 2016

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm pretty sure on my MyGM file it's possible to field an entire starting lineup of guys named "Nihat Penbe" and now I deeply regret not having this file on MyLeague so I can start an expansion franchise in Hartford, CN, and call it the "Cult of Nihat" or "CON" for how it appears in abbreviations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fix your loving game, 2k.

I just had one of my guys lose like, 40 morale because I broke a promise to extend him. I had extended him for the max for two years.

How loving hard is it to notice a bug like this? They still patch the game occasionally. Is there a way to report this somewhere where they might conceivably see it?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
How does this game compare to last years? Specifically mypark and myteam. It will be 30 dollars on black friday so I'm debating picking it up. I heard people were complaining about some gameplay issues but patches smoothed things out? Also can people still to the non stop pause thing?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't play online, but myTeam is better. I think the difficulty curve is more gradual, and the weekly challenge set is nice.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The substitution menus are awful in this game. Please go back to list style for next game.

Edit: Shaq is unstoppable in this game.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 15, 2016

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea subbing on the fly is stupidly difficult as is seeing how tired your current player is. Not sure why they changed that

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

My biggest complaint is when you do a fantasy draft it doesn't show the players salary anywhere. I had to draft my team with BBR because I don't remember offhand what Marcus Morris's cap hit is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I didn't know they changed illegal screens in MyCareer in the last update and I fouled out in the third quarter :downs:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FYI, the My2k app enabled the daily pick'em which gives you 50vc for each game winner you predict. It's not by vegas line, just winner, so it's pretty easy to win 70% of the games. Also a good way to follow how various teams you may not be paying attention to are doing.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I could use the VC for my player, but I never play that mode and I need to buy speeches to convince my dudes that it's OK that I'm not going to change training intensity (even if I do change it often based on their remarks) and I still love them.

Rudy Gobert is apparently high, high anxiety in this game. If someone so much as offers me a trade... not even me going into trade finder, although that'll do it, too, he freaks out about me finding a new center or trading him away and I want neither of those things.

But he hears these rumors, man. About 6 times a season I have to reassure Gobert that he's still my special boy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I am very glad I play myLeague instead of myGM

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lockback posted:

I am very glad I play myLeague instead of myGM

It's weird, but I think a lot of features are completely different between the two modes, more than what they just say are, too.

Tell me, does MyLeague give you a better chance of 2nd round guys actually being super good? It feels weird to be in a league and there are no guys that are second round steals. It rarely feels like there's draft steals at all in MyGM. I know you can tell your scouts to search for "Sleepers". Do you actually find them?

"Career ending" injuries is another option I see in MyLeague, which seems like an odd thing to have in one mode and not the other. I guess MyLeague is meant to be SUPER REALISTIC and MyGM is meant to be fluffy RP adventure, but I sort of wish I could stuff things like league expansion and contraction, team movement/realignment, career-ending injuries, second round steals/sleepers and so on and so on into MyGM.

On the flipside, this might be the first 2k game I start two distinct franchises on, which is saying something itself.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think the draft prospects are loaded the same way. I usually do Random, though there are good ones you can download. I think in general how prospects are created suck, but I also think rookies are generally pretty badly portrayed (usually they are way too good).

And yeah, major injuries happen. I haven't had any this year, but last year Dwight Howard randomly had an injury that forced him to retire.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Just got the game on sale. They took away my two favorite parts of myteam, player quality restrictions when climbing the ladder and dynamic cards ... great. Now I have to grind out a bunch of dominations to even be able to start in the bronze league. Also whoever designed the player cards this year should be fired. Anyone got any budget recs for a cheap starting 5 I have some silver scrubs and emerald Bogut.

e- Any big gameplay changes from last year I should know? Stealing is now possible I guess?

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 26, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Offensive spacing is generally way better, especially when it comes to 3-point kickouts. Bad news is that defense is still horrifically wtf bad but meh, don't play on HoF.

Oh, double-tap shoot for euro steps and spin moves are back.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Seltzer posted:

Just got the game on sale. They took away my two favorite parts of myteam, player quality restrictions when climbing the ladder and dynamic cards ... great. Now I have to grind out a bunch of dominations to even be able to start in the bronze league. Also whoever designed the player cards this year should be fired. Anyone got any budget recs for a cheap starting 5 I have some silver scrubs and emerald Bogut.

e- Any big gameplay changes from last year I should know? Stealing is now possible I guess?

Kemba walker is usually cheap and is drat good on myteam same with Bazemore. Despite his avg stats randy Wittman is cheap and a boarding machine

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

Kemba walker is usually cheap and is drat good on myteam same with Bazemore. Despite his avg stats randy Wittman is cheap and a boarding machine

Thanks.

Is there any reasoning for making actual players really lovely and old players really good + removing dynamic cards? I can only assume 2k devs decided dynamics were too much work or that they could make more money selling packs if dynamics didn't exist because it was an awesome feature. Also any reason for removing the squad restrictions and adding 1,000 new colors? Squad restrictions in RTTP made things more fun and interesting building squads around certain players and utilizing all types of cards. Now Bronzes and Silvers have no use.

e- Who is the 2k16 John Wall standard card this year? I want to Jam on people with speed and be able to hit a midrange shot.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Squad restrictions were replaced with better matchmaking to try to get you matched against an equal opponent

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This week's weekly challenge requiring 6 Pacers players is total bullshit. The market on those cards jumped, so good luck doing the challenges unless you want to blow 10k on auctions.

Cheap players: Make sure your team is all bronze after your rotation guys, it will save you on contracts.

Rubio is a good silver PG. A+ Steals which you should spam on Pro-games. He is also a A playmaker so you can feast on PnR and getting the ball to your post player.

Embiid is a god-tier silver player. They didn't give him the outside shot, but his post play and D is as good as most Gold.

Tony Allen is a decent silver too, again steals.

Any 3pt shooter who isn't Emerald or higher blows. You need a guy with badges.

Okafor (silver) is a good cheap post machine. Brook Lopez (gold) gives you a paint protector and a free 2 points anytime he is in decent post position.

You'll get Jay Williams pretty quick and he's a good PG for a non-cheap team. KAT is a probably worth his auction price as another Emerald player. You get an amethyst Horry when you get 100(?) cards, and drive and kicks to him are free 3 points.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Squad restrictions were replaced with better matchmaking to try to get you matched against an equal opponent

Does that only account for squad strength though or is it wins/losses because 2k is kind of stingy with coins this year and my squad is rear end. Not looking forward to getting crapped on in the first divisions.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Seltzer posted:

Does that only account for squad strength though or is it wins/losses because 2k is kind of stingy with coins this year and my squad is rear end. Not looking forward to getting crapped on in the first divisions.

Mainly squad strength

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh I forgot Pau Gasol is good and cheap too. I leaned on him heavy most of the first part of Domination

Also ymmv because his rating is garbage (as it should be) but for some reason I kill it with Lance Stephenson every year. He can drive past most defenders his size and if you have him against a smaller defender he can post them easily. Only thing he seems to not be able to do is shoot 3's.

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 27, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Oh I forgot Pau Gasol is good and cheap too. I leaned on him heavy most of the first part of Domination

Also ymmv because his rating is garbage (as it should be) but for some reason I kill it with Lance Stephenson every year. He can drive past most defenders his size and if you have him against a smaller defender he can post them easily. Only thing he seems to not be able to do is shoot 3's.

I'm going to try and recreate my squad last year which was pure board domination and then a PG and SG who can break. Wall and DPOY Mutombo were the lynchpins of the squad. Is there anyone cheapish like 87 Wall from last year? 80 Wall this year gets bullied off dunks and can't shoot worth a poo poo. Also is there any good way to earn coins? Last year they gave you generous rewards for low collector levels, this year they took that away.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Lol the game literally did not let me score for a full 4 minutes. Online is such bullshit

Weird missed layups dunks you name it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got Sapphire Lillard as the closest replacement to 2k16 Wall. He was pretty cheap but still not as good as that card. I have disappointment Wall on the bench. Got the Bigman 83 Bol as my center because you better be sure I'm gonna cheese until I can afford a good squad (I want that 89 Mutumbo real bad, his DPOY card was my favorite last year). Any budget SG or SF recommendations? The Handles Iguodala looks awesome but he's too costly.

I think I asked this before but is there any easy way to bank coins besides grinding out games? I play fifa and it seems a lot easier to get top players in that game. Also I already ranted about 2k taking away dynamics but having all the current players cards start so low is really lame imo. You have to wait til like halfway through the year to buy a card of the player that actually represents them and even then it's overpriced. Players have way less badges and traits this year too which is a bummer.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Wow a moments challenge for 7k MT and I just have to win and score 8 points with KAT?? Thanks for the free mo- oh youve made the Knicks God-tier

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Wow a moments challenge for 7k MT and I just have to win and score 8 points with KAT?? Thanks for the free mo- oh youve made the Knicks God-tier

There was a locker code loan- KAT so that was nice it was literally a free 7k. I did the challenge the first time. Maybe I got lucky? Noah is slow as poo poo so he was easy to beat. How long do the moments challenges last. The Giannis one looks like a pain in the rear end and I'd have to spend 7k on him to even do it.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea it was my b. I used my "challenge team" of sub emerald players. Got serious and used my good team and got it

I have no loving clue how im doing the Greek Freak challenge though

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 3, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do you get a challenge token for doing all the moment's challenge?

Giannis's market is inflated now so I don't think I'll bother with that one otherwise.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Lockback posted:

Do you get a challenge token for doing all the moment's challenge?

Giannis's market is inflated now so I don't think I'll bother with that one otherwise.

Nah and that challenge is over I think. Just get a shitload of MT.

I like the moments challenges much better even if it does inflate markets, because I can just turn around and get my mt back or more once I complete it :frogbon:

give me those over the "can you hold a 8 point lead against the 76ers?????" challenges

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
60 through 3 quarters that Klay Thompson moments card is going to be ricic

ID129
Jul 9, 2007
I need one more Amethyst to complete the Big Man Collection and get a Diamond Patrick Ewing. I don't have the time to grind out MT and prices will rise. Anyone know of any legit MT sellers for PS4?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Does anybody else experience having players (including myself, having played mostly mycareer) remain in the game after their sixth foul, often until the next timeout? It's cool to get bonus stat-line stuffer but it's somewhat ridiculous, although I haven't earned a seventh foul yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

The Taxman posted:

Does anybody else experience having players (including myself, having played mostly mycareer) remain in the game after their sixth foul, often until the next timeout? It's cool to get bonus stat-line stuffer but it's somewhat ridiculous, although I haven't earned a seventh foul yet.

Funny that JUST happened to me for the first time and had no clue wtf. I have fouled out twice before though so maybe the recent update screwed it up?

• Locked thread