Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is there anywhere where you can see what Cities/team names (if any outside of the 10 examples) will be said by announcers and poo poo during games? Will any?

Like, if I make a CUSTOM team and make the city "Seattle" will they call it Seattle?

Are there generic "like a billion people will name their teams this" team names that the announcers will say if you make your custom franchise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Getting my rear end killed. Can't tell if I'm super bad, the controls are hosed, or if it's my team because I'm playing as the Nets.

Played 3 games, suffered 4 major injuries. What the gently caress?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm really irritated at this game and being unable to find sliders that feel accurate or like, "even".

Compared to previous years, shot timing seems ridiculously finicky. I'm not even sure it's possible to score on a shot that's not perfectly timed on All-Star and harder. I can get the entire bar to look white, no blue shown, but apparently it's not perfect timed because it's not green, and then -CLANK-. Steph Curry, open corner, no blue on the shot bar, little red circle over the dude, currently on fire? If it ain't green, he's missing. Flipside, you slide it any lower than All-Star in difficulty and you can just walk over everyone with a team of 50-rated dudes. All other years I could through trial and error get it to a nice, 50/50 where I could have close games with the CPU. Now everything is a blowout one way or another and I hate it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Turns out it was a mixture of being really bad and being the Nets.

Anyone ever go into the character editor to change a player's position? Does the AI ever do this? (I haven't seen it, personally)

Like, if I have a stock of point guards on my team, and I see that one of them is actually somehow higher rated if he's a small forward, it seems like I ought to go into the character editor and make him into one. Same if the league goes into a weird state where, say, you might get a dearth of really good power forwards or whatever.

Character progression in general seems... less so? than previous games. I've gotten my generic Point Guard up to 80ish rating, but his sole "badge" remains "Friendly", which I'm not even sure what it does, to be honest. I know there's a system now where you can download the training schedules other people have come up with..... do you have to train a certain way relentlessly if you want badges, micromanaging training rather than "by position/type"? Can you change positions through training without going into the character editor?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Whatever rear end in a top hat made the "Player is concerned with practices being too heavy/light" system needs to be fired. It's just completely broken. You make the promise, immediately change the player's training to the way they want it, even if you max it out and they'll say you broke the promise. You literally cannot keep the promise. Nothing works. Upping/lowering the individual player, upping/lowering team practices, nothing. You can only deny and coddle or deny and tough love. Your options are slow or fast attrition of player loyalty and that's a bullshit, easy-to-discover bug that has no business being in this game at this stage of its release.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Looking at this, and I'm terrified that it'll be like 2k15 where anytime I hit the screen button my teammate would needlessly shoulder check a dude and commit an offensive foul.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think the simulator actually tries to make your players have bad games so their stats normalize to their expected levels for the season, but I can't prove it.

Like, I have 82 game seasons turned on, and I sim most of them, but I play maybe 1 in 5 or 1 in 10. And I have Rudy Gobert on my team, and he's stupidly broken inside with his giant arms. Pretty much every game I play with him is like, a 25/25 game.

Then at season end I'll look at his personal stats and he's still his usual 10 and 12 self. Clearly the way I play and the way my assistant coach play is wildly different.

EDIT

On a fun note, what is the best name you've seen the game generate? My current favorites are "Diamond Flowers" and "Ed Hunter"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lockback posted:

I'm pretty sure the game just estimates a single game performance based on their stats, not based on how you play at all. Since they probably made sure most estimates for these players were pretty close to reality, I'd expect simulated games they'd perform pretty close to their "real" seasons stats. If you are playing somewhere between 10 and 20% of the games, your outlier games probably aren't enough to move the needle a ton.

You also might be playing "good" players more minutes and the CPU is playing them less to give them rest from your games.

20% of games is kind of a lot. Like, if I were averaging 12.5 with a guy in games unplayed, but 25ish in games played, his average PPG would be 14.5.

Regardless, it seems that what was actually happening is that my coach had a "strongly to guards" preference, so there you go.
~~~~
As for things this game does right, I'll nth Ball physics. There's a lot less obvious teleporting or vacuuming into good stat players, steals can be timed with more than just the steal button. There's also not that idiotic moving screens issue, even post patch I've seen ONE moving screen and it was against me and I got toasted by it. The "long two" thing is also mostly fixed. Flipside is it errs on the side of "out of bounds" now if you're passing to the corner, so maybe watch out for that.

Biggest change I dislike is having 3 dedicated buttons to passing the ball. gently caress that. I'm not even sure I can play without the icon pass button anyhow.
~~~~

Where are the retired players in your guys' games? I've got an opposing coach that's Dirk Nowitzki and he has an F offense and B- Defense. This seems.... off...

Someone hired Dwight Howard as their head scout despite his low potential and F in scouting. That's a team that's going places.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm pretty sure on my MyGM file it's possible to field an entire starting lineup of guys named "Nihat Penbe" and now I deeply regret not having this file on MyLeague so I can start an expansion franchise in Hartford, CN, and call it the "Cult of Nihat" or "CON" for how it appears in abbreviations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fix your loving game, 2k.

I just had one of my guys lose like, 40 morale because I broke a promise to extend him. I had extended him for the max for two years.

How loving hard is it to notice a bug like this? They still patch the game occasionally. Is there a way to report this somewhere where they might conceivably see it?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I could use the VC for my player, but I never play that mode and I need to buy speeches to convince my dudes that it's OK that I'm not going to change training intensity (even if I do change it often based on their remarks) and I still love them.

Rudy Gobert is apparently high, high anxiety in this game. If someone so much as offers me a trade... not even me going into trade finder, although that'll do it, too, he freaks out about me finding a new center or trading him away and I want neither of those things.

But he hears these rumors, man. About 6 times a season I have to reassure Gobert that he's still my special boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lockback posted:

I am very glad I play myLeague instead of myGM

It's weird, but I think a lot of features are completely different between the two modes, more than what they just say are, too.

Tell me, does MyLeague give you a better chance of 2nd round guys actually being super good? It feels weird to be in a league and there are no guys that are second round steals. It rarely feels like there's draft steals at all in MyGM. I know you can tell your scouts to search for "Sleepers". Do you actually find them?

"Career ending" injuries is another option I see in MyLeague, which seems like an odd thing to have in one mode and not the other. I guess MyLeague is meant to be SUPER REALISTIC and MyGM is meant to be fluffy RP adventure, but I sort of wish I could stuff things like league expansion and contraction, team movement/realignment, career-ending injuries, second round steals/sleepers and so on and so on into MyGM.

On the flipside, this might be the first 2k game I start two distinct franchises on, which is saying something itself.

• Locked thread