Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

OctoberBlues posted:

Can we talk about other breads in this thread or do I need to make a new thread?

all breads are fine

"sourdough" is simply a way of cultivating wild yeast all around us for use in baking and rising of bread

you can make rye sourdough, corn sourdough, literally anything sourdough!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Have you guys had anadama bread? It's my favorite bread ever, although I haven't had any in a long time. I first had it at the City Tavern in Philadelphia and after that would make it from time to time, I really need to make some soon.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

OctoberBlues posted:

Have you guys had anadama bread? It's my favorite bread ever, although I haven't had any in a long time. I first had it at the City Tavern in Philadelphia and after that would make it from time to time, I really need to make some soon.

what the heck kinda bread is that???

tell us about it!!!

i wanan know what kinda awesome bread it is, man

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I'm afraid I can't do any better than the wikipedia article, I was a kid when I first had it and would make it with my mother, it's slightly sweet and just drat delicious

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anadama_bread

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Have you guys ever had grilled bread

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Like, bread baked on a grill (it's good)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like a good sour dough bread it makes for a grreat sandwich

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

dhamster posted:

Like, bread baked on a grill (it's good)

hell yeah man its som good bread i really like it

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

grilled bread is definitely better than microwaved bread

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

satanic splash-back posted:

grilled bread is definitely better than microwaved bread

loving execute anyone microwaving bread

unless its frozen buns for a hamburger, then its ok i guess...

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I've got a starter I've been working on for a few months now and it's got a nice rich sourdough aroma. I just stick my face in the jar and get a good whiff it's delightful but I thought it was pretty gross when I started. I do a 1:1 flour/water mixture, but based on weight so it's more like a half cup of water per cup of flour but i mean it's just flour and water and the yeast will probably be happy either way. I just stick it in the fridge now and only feed it once a week or so unless I'm going to be doing a lot of baking with it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw

These guys rule, they're very period specific but he always includes standard oven temps and such. It seems like they're branching out of bread/baking but there's tons of content. They've got a video for an earthen oven I'm itching to make if I can find some room for it.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Dogmeat posted:

I've got a starter I've been working on for a few months now and it's got a nice rich sourdough aroma. I just stick my face in the jar and get a good whiff it's delightful but I thought it was pretty gross when I started. I do a 1:1 flour/water mixture, but based on weight so it's more like a half cup of water per cup of flour but i mean it's just flour and water and the yeast will probably be happy either way. I just stick it in the fridge now and only feed it once a week or so unless I'm going to be doing a lot of baking with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw

These guys rule, they're very period specific but he always includes standard oven temps and such. It seems like they're branching out of bread/baking but there's tons of content. They've got a video for an earthen oven I'm itching to make if I can find some room for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8cPx7rxFjk

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Lol yeah he's a big dork I've only watched his cooking stuff and it's pretty cool.

vvv I fixed it vvv

Dogmeat fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 27, 2016

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

"This video does not exist."

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Ok drat they have a shitton of videos I shouldn't have linked the whole channel.

Here's the sourdough episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leC_cCs4i5w

Here's making the oven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0foHjPVbP4

And cooking in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJqGVxuJPo

I've found starting out with the expectation that an 18th century peasant could accomplish whatever task is a pretty good indication that even I can do it with the help of google and youtube.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I made his baked beans and also his pot roast and they were very good.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
sourdough is a good kind of bread in my opinion

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
who else thinks its good??

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

what happened posted:

sourdough is a good kind of bread in my opinion

If you like it so much why don't you start a thread about it?? jfc

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I have a starter, but ran out of flour recently.

My last attempt at using any whole wheat flour at all fell flat.

My normal recipe in combo with my dutch oven makes a hell of a loaf.
Someone remind me to buy flour on my next trip to the store.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
one of the best parts of summer is the first times i steam a couple lbs of clams and use the leftover broth to dip sourdough into alongside the clams

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

is the smell of warm bread worth buying a breadmaker for?
Yes, but it's not just the smell, it's the taste, too (unless you're buying fresh bread at a bakery anyway).

quote:

but for ages i've been thinking of buying a breadmaker go i can just toss some ingredients in there at 10pm in 30 seconds and at 6:30 when I get up the house will smell of amazing fresh bread

but it's a bit of a jump to spend £100 on a house smell
You should be able to get one for a good bit less than that. Or is there some sort of weird tariff on bread machines?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

:siren: my bread is done!! :siren:

came out pretty well, did forget to score it and the recipe i used had too little flour so my rising basket is all caked with dough now

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
sourdough supremacy

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

:siren: my bread is done!! :siren:
How long did you wind up rising it?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

How long did you wind up rising it?

a few hours in my basket, but i had to scrape it out because the dough was too wet. then i folded it and floured it a bunch and let it rise on my tabletop for 2 hours

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

a few hours in my basket, but i had to scrape it out because the dough was too wet. then i folded it and floured it a bunch and let it rise on my tabletop for 2 hours

That's why I haven't made no-knead in a while. I'm planning to get some rice flour work it into some towels, that's supposed to help a lot. (Or maybe just rise it on parchment.)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

That's why I haven't made no-knead in a while. I'm planning to get some rice flour work it into some towels, that's supposed to help a lot. (Or maybe just rise it on parchment.)

yeah next time ill rise on parchment, then fold and flour it plenty so it wont stick for a last rise in the basket

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Looks tasty

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

yeah next time ill rise on parchment, then fold and flour it plenty so it wont stick for a last rise in the basket

The cloth is supposed to be for lining the basket, but I haven't tried that yet, because I don't have the basket. I don't have a cloth made of linen, either, but I was going to try it with cotton dish towels.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

skander posted:

The cloth is supposed to be for lining the basket, but I haven't tried that yet, because I don't have the basket. I don't have a cloth made of linen, either, but I was going to try it with cotton dish towels.

interesting

do you just dust the gently caress out of the cloth with flour?? or do you rub it in

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

interesting

do you just dust the gently caress out of the cloth with flour?? or do you rub it in

Dust the gently caress out of it, rub it in the first time, scrape it or vigorously shake it out after using, and don't wash it - or so they say. The only time I used cloth before, I dusted it heavily, but wound up with a gooey mess anyway that was very, very difficult to wash out. Next time I'm just going to scrape it and see. The thing I read a while ago said to use rice flour. I almost did it last night, inspired by this thread, with flour I had on hand, but was too lazy* (and I'd already made focaccia).

*Totally pitiful, given how easy it is.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

sourdough #2 is currently rising. made sure to flour the gently caress out of it while folding it so it doesnt stick like the last one

also not gonna forget to score it before going into the oven!!

this one is 50% whole grain wheat. will post sick bred pix whern its done!!!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

yo aeminal homie say the dough is all done being yeastified and doing its rising business how the gently caress do you cook that poo poo in an oven?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

kazr posted:

yo aeminal homie say the dough is all done being yeastified and doing its rising business how the gently caress do you cook that poo poo in an oven?

i use a cast iron dutch oven

pre-heat the dutch oven, plop bread in, spray some water into it, close, open lid, spray water into oven, take out

i use parchment paper in the dutch oven for non-stickage

it's all in this recipe: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018028-sourdough-no-knead-bread

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

you have inspired me to make some bread thank you

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Sourdough grilled cheese sounds good right now

Might even throw some ham in it

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

kazr posted:

you have inspired me to make some bread thank you

MAKE IT SOURDOUGH

DONT SUPPORT BIG YEAST!!!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

shits gonna be wild yeast as gently caress my sourbro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

here's my sourdough i made from that recipe a while ago.

think my starter might be dead now, forgot about it in the fridge a couple weeks ago 😫

• Locked thread