Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Have you guys ever had grilled bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Like, bread baked on a grill (it's good)

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

e: nvm

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

So I've been preparing a starter in a bowl at room temperature for a week or so, feeding it flour and water every day. How long til I can make bread? The starter doesn't float in water yet

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

http://imgur.com/fBF9rFV

Uhhh.. back to the drawing board

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Yeah I think there was something wrong with my starter, since it didn't really rise when I left it out, and it didn't double in size during step 3 of the NYT recipe. I still saved my starter so I'll be trying again.. maybe I'll look at the video to see where I went wrong

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/mW3fPRv.jpg

This is what my starter looks like now, I put it in the fridge a couple days ago after I took some of it for dough but I took it out again and fed it last night.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I think the problem was that I fridged it during the rising step. Anyway it's been out of the fridge this weekend and I've been feeding it, so I might be able to try again soon

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I think what helped the most was getting a proper dutch oven instead of a baking pan covered with foil

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I let it rise 10 hours before folding, then maybe 12 hours after folding.. I fell asleep last night before I was ready to turn the oven on lol

• Locked thread