Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

put a tea towel or a loose bit of plastic clingwrap over it.

No one knows why you must do this, we just do

To keep bad things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

yes

also once the sourdough begins to ferment, it will effectively render it sterile to other contaminants, nothing else will be able grow, no e-coli or HIV or ebola orwhatever, it's just safe

yea, this yeast will gently caress anything else up.

Tell that to my starter that fell victim to a bacterial infection three weeks ago.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

i bet it had too much water in it. also did you mix it thoroughly?? it should be in a thick thick batter consistency when mixed

Daily feeding, always the same for almost a year.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

"This video does not exist."

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

is the smell of warm bread worth buying a breadmaker for?
Yes, but it's not just the smell, it's the taste, too (unless you're buying fresh bread at a bakery anyway).

quote:

but for ages i've been thinking of buying a breadmaker go i can just toss some ingredients in there at 10pm in 30 seconds and at 6:30 when I get up the house will smell of amazing fresh bread

but it's a bit of a jump to spend £100 on a house smell
You should be able to get one for a good bit less than that. Or is there some sort of weird tariff on bread machines?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

:siren: my bread is done!! :siren:
How long did you wind up rising it?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

a few hours in my basket, but i had to scrape it out because the dough was too wet. then i folded it and floured it a bunch and let it rise on my tabletop for 2 hours

That's why I haven't made no-knead in a while. I'm planning to get some rice flour work it into some towels, that's supposed to help a lot. (Or maybe just rise it on parchment.)

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

yeah next time ill rise on parchment, then fold and flour it plenty so it wont stick for a last rise in the basket

The cloth is supposed to be for lining the basket, but I haven't tried that yet, because I don't have the basket. I don't have a cloth made of linen, either, but I was going to try it with cotton dish towels.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

interesting

do you just dust the gently caress out of the cloth with flour?? or do you rub it in

Dust the gently caress out of it, rub it in the first time, scrape it or vigorously shake it out after using, and don't wash it - or so they say. The only time I used cloth before, I dusted it heavily, but wound up with a gooey mess anyway that was very, very difficult to wash out. Next time I'm just going to scrape it and see. The thing I read a while ago said to use rice flour. I almost did it last night, inspired by this thread, with flour I had on hand, but was too lazy* (and I'd already made focaccia).

*Totally pitiful, given how easy it is.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

large hands posted:

here's my sourdough i made from that recipe a while ago.

think my starter might be dead now, forgot about it in the fridge a couple weeks ago 😫

It's probably OK, really. That's not a terribly long time.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

mdm posted:

sourdough perfectly describes my body's odor and composition

Personality too, for the trifecta, or is that where the sour turns to sweet?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

also i think my dutch oven might be a bit too small for this loaf to fully expand, it got kinda smushed up :(
I don't think it's supposed to touch the sides, but I don't know if that will harm anything save the appearance, either

AEMINAL posted:

i dont know if i get a huge dutch oven for a million dollars or just bake without one, would that even work? could i use a pizza stone?
Lahey has called the dutch oven used in his recipe an 'oven within an oven', so it might be necessary.

You might be able to find one at a garage sale, my sister got lucky and got a Le Creuset for pretty cheap. The only thing wrong with it is the ugly burnt-orange color.

I'm making a sourdough focaccia, which took forever to rise, even though I included a pretty good portion of very active starter. It lagged so much that I had to make a normal one, just to satisfy the baking urge. The same thing happened with a cornmeal loaf a while back, too. That one took super long from a mildly active starter, and wound up super sour. My friend's midwestern tastebuds couldn't handle it.

It's kind of uneven and not risen enough, but I'm falling asleep, so I had to pop it in the oven. I think it'll be passable, but it smells kind of weird once it started baking.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

I'm ordering a linen canvas proofing cloth (couche) tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. There's a YouTube video of some old gut talking about how to use one, and I keep laughing when he talks about how you shouldn't wash your couche.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Sourdough focaccia fresh out of the oven; normal one I've been snacking on for four hours.

The picture doesn't really show how misshapen and poorly risen the sourdough loaf is.

Teikanmi posted:

sourdough is aite but foccacia shits on it and basically every other bread
When I hit it right with the focaccia, it's mind-blowingly delicious.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

it's so loving good you guys gotta make this

As soon as the couche I ordered yesterday arrives. It's just too messy dealing with that wet dough otherwise.

I am jealous of your breakfast.

The Goatfather posted:

50:50 white and whole wheat flour, 80% hydration, 15% jalapeños seeded and chopped (I like a mix of big pieces and maybe 1/3 finely chopped but not quite diced), 15% cubed sharp cheddar, 30% grated sharp cheddar, like 30% starter, and some salt. Autolyse for 1 hour, then add the grated cheese with the salt and starter. Add the cubed cheese and jalapeños when it's relaxed a bit after the second fold (just gently squeeze it into the dough w your hands until it's all mostly incorporated, you don't want to cut the dough at this point). Give it 4-5 folds, divide and shape when a bit more than doubled, proof overnight in the fridge. Sprinkle with grated cheese right before baking.

That sounds awesome, and my jalapeños have started fruiting. Now you've made me impatient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

hemophilia posted:

please don't gently caress with bread like that. leave it alone. add stuff when you serve it.

Why? Is this a religious thing, like shiite vs sunni, or pineapple on pizza?

• Locked thread