Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!
'Sup, dough thread.

Watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be57uXRf5xo

Made this:

'sgood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

beautiful, did you use corn starch on the outside?

Nup, no corn starch. I followed the steps in that video with a fidelity usually only observed in the severely autistic. The only thing I missed is that his reference to "strong flour" translates to "bread flour" in the US. Which probably seems obvious to veteran breadsmiths, but I used all-purpose, and while beautiful on the outside, the inside was more dense than I had expected. Still highly edible.

Also, goony confession: After four disastrous attempts at cultivating wild yeasts to make a starter, I ended up buying a batch from Amazon. I named mine Victor, and it's thriving with daily feedings.

AEMINAL posted:

i've been feeding mine daily for weeks now. how long does it take to revive a fridged starter?

I stuck Victor in the fridge when I went on vacation for a week, and just resumed room-temperature daily feeding when I got back. I'd say it was fully revived in about 4 days. That culture is hardy stuff.

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah, what AEMINAL said. Treat your starter like the living thing it is - storing it in the fridge is like putting it in cryostasis, and really slows down its metabolism. You want it all warmed up to room temperature to encourage lively feeding and breeding.

Here's mine, bubbling happily away, eating and farting:

There are lots of opinions on optimal micro-farming strats, and here are some I've discovered:
  • My daily feeding proportions are 150g starter + 150g flour + 150g water. That gives me 300g of starter any time I want to bake a loaf, plus 150g of starter reserved to continue the cycle.
  • I use water from a filtration pitcher, not because I care about excluding particles, but to give the chlorine a chance to dissipate.
  • People who use glass jars are nuts. The top has a natural bottleneck, which makes stirring and cleaning a pain in the rear end. My local restaurant supply store sells these plastic crock containers for like $4 each. I bought 2, and rotate the clean one with my daily feeding. Use a hot needle to melt a little pinhole in the lid so your starter can belch freely.

• Locked thread