Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Buddha. posted:

I hate to be a bother but could I have one goat please?

Absolutely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

The Dennis System posted:

Sit in a quiet place and concentrate on your breathing. When thoughts arise, acknowledge them, but then concentrate on your breathing again. Do this every day for many years.

Or just do it when you remember to always.

Meditation does not go away when you stand up.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Buddha. posted:

Or just do it when you remember to always.

Meditation does not go away when you stand up.

True, but it's harder when you're out and about and doing things instead of sitting still. (At least in my experience.)

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Absolutely!

How do I know if that's just a cheap Chinese knockoff goat?

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

The Dennis System posted:

True, but it's harder when you're out and about and doing things instead of sitting still. (At least in my experience.)

harder may just mean better practice.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

VendaGoat posted:

Absolutely!

Thank you so much :allears:

now I have a cool goat friend who can join me on adventures!

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Hey OP
You could find these answers in The Diamond Sutra (Red Pine translation) and The Chan Whip Anthology (Jeffrey Broughton translation). If you need something really accessible there is always Alan Watts or Dharma talks online.

http://www.dhammatalks.org/

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

William Stoner posted:

Hey OP
You could find these answers in The Diamond Sutra (Red Pine translation) and The Chan Whip Anthology (Jeffrey Broughton translation). If you need something really accessible there is always Alan Watts or Dharma talks online.

http://www.dhammatalks.org/

Alan Watts was a pompous noisebox. Dude gave pretty lectures so that he could lay college girls.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
cultivate a state of mind that everything just is and try to accept that without attactment

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Its like when you see a bird and think that little dude enjoys fresh air, the sun and wind in his face all day why cant I have that?

Because you choose not to, op. That and birds are not known for planning for their future and yes, the structural soundness of their homes is questionable at best, but at the end of the day you crave conflict and will never choose to lose that anchor.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
It's like... you're all jerking off.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

a dog from hell posted:

It's like... you're all jerking off.

and im doing so without any expectations

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Cosmic Charlie posted:

and im doing so without any expectations

I am expecting to cum.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

That is why you fail

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
shoot the singer

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Cosmic Charlie posted:

That is why you fail

Everyone ITT is a dumb rear end and boring too except the OP.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i just try to internalise that the present i experience now along with the memories that i am presently recalling exist by virtue of its mathematical truth, and that all mathematically true things exist statically to an equal extent, and have always been in a sense external to any place where causality can occur. there is no way to travel between these moments and no thing that could do the travelling. thus i am not a traveller. i am a stone in a vast inverse pyramid, supported by the stones i recall and i identify as myself, in turn, supporting an infinitude that rest on me.

there have always been mes that form part attempting, succeeding and failing in that attempt to internalise, making the attempt at once pointless, inevitable and crucial.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Buddha teaches us that one suffers because one desires. If one goes through life without expectations, one cannot know disappointment. How can I attain such a level? How can I pacify my mind?

Ask someone with a clue instead of on asking this forum. Asking a bunch of drug-and-chronic-masturbation-hosed monkeys how to quiet your monkey mind cannot end well.

If you do choose to follow the advice of multiple goons in your spiritual quest, please do post the results here. I foresee a saga in the making, a large and long-lasting trainwreck giving joy to haters of peace, the details of which will be reposted and reposted long after you shuffle off to Nirvana or Hell or wherever.

Warm blessings.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

enlightenment isn't something that can be taught, only experienced and shown

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

BigBadSteve posted:

Ask someone with a clue instead of on asking this forum. Asking a bunch of drug-and-chronic-masturbation-hosed monkeys how to quiet your monkey mind cannot end well.

If you do choose to follow the advice of multiple goons in your spiritual quest, please do post the results here. I foresee a saga in the making, a large and long-lasting trainwreck giving joy to haters of peace, the details of which will be reposted and reposted long after you shuffle off to Nirvana or Hell or wherever.

Warm blessings.

8-Bit Scholar doesn't need any advice on how to be more of a trainwreck

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkFyGNjaQ8k

Only registered members can see post attachments!

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

a dog from hell posted:

Alan Watts was a pompous noisebox. Dude gave pretty lectures so that he could lay college girls.

Which is zen as gently caress

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BigBadSteve posted:

Yeah honestly I was just feeling bummed out, people whom I care about not living up to my expectations, and a general sense that maybe I'd be less disappointed in people if I didn't expect much out of them.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
live in the now as much as possible

learn from the past but do not let it weigh you down, plan for the future but don't stress about what is to come

exist fully in every moment

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
weed helps

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Moridin920 posted:

weed helps

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

College Slice

BigBadSteve posted:

Warm blessings.

:eyepop:

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
weed is an escape and weed is an excuse.

stop making excuses

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Garcin posted:

weed is an escape and weed is an excuse.

stop making excuses

there is no excuse, only acceptance of the now

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

Moridin920 posted:

there is no excuse, only acceptance of the now

denying your past and denying your future means you do not accept the present.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
because the present, in this point in time, has officially become the past

too late

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
finality in desire is intrinisic to consciousness and when oriented to the ends of transcendental perfection is a unique glory. buddah was wrong

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Garcin posted:

denying your past and denying your future means you do not accept the present.

it's not denying anything to realize the past is gone and done and the future is all hypothetical

I know people who still agonize over mistakes made years past, or ruin their lives because of regrets, or live like stressed out shells of humans because of worrying about the future. That's no way to go through life.

You don't need to do X just because you've always done X. You're not your past self, and your future self is imaginary.

idk just appreciate things for how they are and stop agonizing over how you'd like them to be

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 27, 2016

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Orkin Mang posted:

buddah was wrong

yeah duh, imagine if some rich oval office today said the answer to everything was to sit under a tree and give up all desire gently caress him

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
it's also a bullshit life to live only in the future, dreaming of what you may become

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i agree that's why you should live fully in the present lol

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
holy crap i agree with you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
namaste

Garcin