Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Mariana Horchata posted:

ive never actually bought any calculator with my own money ever but i love their classic line of watches, i rock my 3+ yr old F-91W daily and get complimented on it by middle eastern store clerks all the time because they know whats up

Nice terrorist watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Also: nerds.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

shoophobo posted:

Nice terrorist watch

last time i flew i forgot to take it off and the TSA man accosted me right before i walked away after going through the machine i was almost impressed

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
just use desmos dudes.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

vyst posted:

TI supremacy

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

et tu 'nanana?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Real calculators don't have an equals key. :colbert:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Protagonist posted:

et tu 'nanana?

lol, sorry dude. proud owner of a TI-83 Plus Silver Edition that is in mint condition cause I never really use it. best waste of... what did that thing cost, like $150?

:sigh:
poo poo

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sheep-Goats posted:

How I graph on something that isn't a computer:

Open firefox on my phone

Go to Wolfram Alpha

Type in "plot [equation]"

I asked it to calculate TREE(3)⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️TREE(3) but it didn't work

(Up-arrow notation)

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lichy posted:

can someone explain to me why TI calculators are so poo poo

You need look no further than the name

Because everything about Texas is poo poo, you see

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
hey TP, hawking and his ilk think that the mass of a paperclip could be accelerated to a quarter of c in 10 minutes (w/ a 100 km^2 laser array) is that reasonable?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
as a born and (in)bred Texan i must support TI's quality made in China products

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Iron Prince posted:

as a born and (in)bred Texan i must support TI's quality made in China products

this guy gets it.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
IP you're alright for a Texan

You might say you're one of the good ones

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I wish we could turn this into a general calculator appreciation station. I've been collecting calculators lately and TI, HP and Casio all have great calculators.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
my experience with replacing an FX-82 that I've had for 10+ years (only because all the text has worn off)

with a new version of the FX-82

is that the build quality (especially the buttons) and the input lag (I can press buttons faster than they register) on the new one are awful.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I've been thinking of getting the TI NSpire CX CAS. Does anyone have one (or the normal CX) who upgraded from the earlier generation? Worth it?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

ya that looks cool but im still just gonna keep my Texas Instruments TI-1250 on my desk for random calculating.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Serak posted:

my experience with replacing an FX-82 that I've had for 10+ years (only because all the text has worn off)

is that the build quality (especially the buttons) and the input lag (I can press buttons faster than they register) on the new one are awful.

The buttons on the FX-82es were bad and weren't even carried over to the fx-115es. It looks like they were but they have a different feel. The 82es is kind of a dud.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 27, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so in 10th grade trig? i think it was. we had to do this poo poo like evaluate 2 sin x at 24 values from 0 to 2*pi. That sort of thing. it was just pages and pages of repetitive work every night and we hated it.

Well i figured out that the TI calcs have what I now know as eval() and so I wrote a program that let you enter in the start, end and step values, and actually type in the equation, and just [ENTER] [ENTER] [ENTER] for all the answers.

It spread among the classes and they responded by banning graphing calcs for the rest of the semester.

the gently caress

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

so in 10th grade trig? i think it was. we had to do this poo poo like evaluate 2 sin x at 24 values from 0 to 2*pi. That sort of thing. it was just pages and pages of repetitive work every night and we hated it.

Well i figured out that the TI calcs have what I now know as eval() and so I wrote a program that let you enter in the start, end and step values, and actually type in the equation, and just [ENTER] [ENTER] [ENTER] for all the answers.

It spread among the classes and they responded by banning graphing calcs for the rest of the semester.

the gently caress

You can do that in the fx-911ex using the table function btw -- it prompts you for equation, start, end, and step.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 27, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sheep-Goats posted:

You can do that in the fx-911ex using the table function btw

yeah this was like '95 and we didnt have such glorious, polished toys

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah this was like '95 and we didnt have such glorious, polished toys

I did a quadratic equation solver on my TI85. Pretty sure it had one built in but I couldn't find it.

Did your ti program give symbolic results (√2/2) or a decimal?

raton fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 27, 2016

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
:flashfap:

Lichy posted:

lol if you use command line R as your computer calculator

python >>>>>>>>>>> R(age)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know anything about R or Python but why wouldn't you rather just use Maple if we're talking math poo poo on a computer idgi

Is it because "large data set" or summat

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't know anything about R or Python but why wouldn't you rather just use Maple if we're talking math poo poo on a computer idgi

Is it because "large data set" or summat

If you are creating statistical models or even just number crunching on huge data sets, you really want a dedicated statistical software package like SAS, STATA or R. I've never tried Maple though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
TI-82 4L

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Serak posted:

badly done skeuomorphism

because dumb users expect computering things to take a second and process input so they seem to have a thinking step, like they do in trash 80s scifi or in windows 10 metro apps

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

If you are creating statistical models or even just number crunching on huge data sets, you really want a dedicated statistical software package like SAS, STATA or R. I've never tried Maple though.

Of course. These other posters are sort of implying that they use R or Python for everything though and I would guess there are better tools for at least some applications.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

I've been thinking of getting the TI NSpire CX CAS. Does anyone have one (or the normal CX) who upgraded from the earlier generation? Worth it?

I hear the battery life on those things is raw rear end.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
There's some low rear end energy arm processors. Teachers don't want to learn new calculators so no one makes new calculators.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Sheep-Goats posted:

Of course. These other posters are sort of implying that they use R or Python for everything though and I would guess there are better tools for at least some applications.

Yeah, there are for sure better tools for pretty much anything else. The statistical software/languages are really good at what they were built for and absolutely terrible at everything else.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
F# with a numerics library.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

There's some low rear end energy arm processors. Teachers don't want to learn new calculators so no one makes new calculators.

Math teachers probably wouldn't mind a better calculator if the testing bodies weren't bribed cunts. Also the fx-911ex had zero learning curve for me anyway, even features I'd never used in another calculator were piss easy to figure out on it, so a user friendly calculator can certainly be done. I didn't think that it would be the case before I got it but it was.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Mariana Horchata posted:

ive never actually bought any calculator with my own money ever but i love their classic line of watches, i rock my 3+ yr old F-91W daily and get complimented on it by middle eastern store clerks all the time because they know whats up

both obama and osama wore this watch. coincidence? i think not. just asking questions here

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
There will never be a better calculator than

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mathlete posted:

There will never be a better calculator than

I don't see brackets and looking at your username I'm afraid this is probably covert RPN cheers, pls don't prove me right

E: :mad:

raton fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
a calculator without natural algebra display in TYOOL 2016 is a shameful calculator

• Locked thread