Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Turns out I'm wearing a Casio watch right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just sold a HP 33s I had lying in a drawer for $30 today. People still buy this stuff.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Turns out I'm wearing a Casio watch right now

:same:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
2+2=4

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I use Sharp calculators

I guess that model is over 5 years old now but it blew my goddamn mind when I saw it, when I was using the older but mostly functionally-equivalent one-line display model

thing helped carry me through my nuclear engineering degree where I saved a fuckton of time on tests not having to think too hard about how to enter complex equations, and answers in fractions is great

also since it's too simple to be considered "programmable" it was allowed into exams to begin with, unlike graphing calculators which are a hassle to enter complex equations into anyway

edit: it's worse than the casio one in the OP but it was doing this stuff for years before casio caught up

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 31, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That one came up a lot in related links and I wondered why exactly and now I know thanks not-OP

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

No trolling, please

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I just bought this calculator because of your thread, OP. Thanks

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

BattleMaster posted:

I use Sharp calculators

I guess that model is over 5 years old now but it blew my goddamn mind when I saw it, when I was using the older but mostly functionally-equivalent one-line display model

thing helped carry me through my nuclear engineering degree where I saved a fuckton of time on tests not having to think too hard about how to enter complex equations, and answers in fractions is great

also since it's too simple to be considered "programmable" it was allowed into exams to begin with, unlike graphing calculators which are a hassle to enter complex equations into anyway

edit: it's worse than the casio one in the OP but it was doing this stuff for years before casio caught up

that looks like a pretty bangin exam calculator

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I've been using a fx-115ms for a while and it is very needs suiting

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

gently caress I bought some scientific calc with a dot matrix a year or two back cause I thought it was cool they had that under $20 but I bet this blows that poo poo out of the water

Why couldn't I have this cool poo poo back when I would actually use it

Gonna fuckin get one anyway just because

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
My father designed an entire town's electricity (sub stations, equipment on poles, etc) using nothing but one of these.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HnIr6jYWU

contributing to the Yes portion of the thread

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lichy posted:

that looks like a pretty bangin exam calculator

If you need an exam calc the only worries about the fx-991ex are that some of its functions are too strong. Namely if you are in a calculus class it can do definite integrals and derivatives and if you are in an introductory stats class it can do all of that stuff almost automatically. For the former case get an fx-82ex. You'll have to order it from ebay as it is not sold in the US but it is still very cheap. It does not do integrals or derivatives and while it has normal, statistics and table submodes it does not have complex number mode, base n mode, matrices, vectors, distribution (except for basic stuff in stats), spreadsheets, the equation solver, the inequality solver or the ratio mode. These are all on the 991ex.

Also the 82ex is battery only instead of solar/batt but it uses a AAA that lasts for around two years with daily use. I think the 85ex is the 82 with a solar panel as well.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FlimFlam Imam posted:

My father designed an entire town's electricity (sub stations, equipment on poles, etc) using nothing but one of these.

Perfect for no calculator exams

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Perfect for no calculator exams

I looked up how to use one and now I kinda know, will put in my bugout bag along with my halberd head.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Mathlete posted:

There will never be a better calculator than

The only other acceptable calculators are the 35s and the 12c.

RPN Master Race.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You RPN luddites need to gently caress off back to the 60s.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
*puts calc in drawer after graduation* "I'll probably need it again at some point"

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

thanks again OP

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BattleMaster posted:

I use Sharp calculators

don't cut yourself lol

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thread won't be redeemed until someone writes cucky pizzone on the calculator and posts a pic of it.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mariana Horchata posted:

ive never actually bought any calculator with my own money ever but i love their classic line of watches, i rock my 3+ yr old F-91W daily and get complimented on it by middle eastern store clerks all the time because they know whats up

Wear this watch every day to work.

It's survived countless dings, scratches, rain, oil, mud, and everything I've thrown at it for the past 5 years. The little rubber band that holds the excess strap finally died 6 months ago, but the rest is holding strong.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Skeleton Ape posted:

They're fine but they wrangled some exclusivity agreements with a lot of school districts a few decades ago and therefore get away with charging $100+ for something that should cost about what the OP calculator does.

ya theyre really great even but im surprised they are still able to find people to make parts for that fuckin thing. maybe if you open it up the circuit board is the size of a peanut now

also $100 :lol:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if only we weren't all using far more capable calculators already to view the forums

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I wish I had this calculator in high school

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hello Casio fx-911ex, can you do the most tedious part of probably the most tedious integrals for me / basic linear algebra poo poo?

Oh, you can?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gKRKZWw6v0&t=485s

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

You have a delightful accent!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Weekend's here boys, time to, calculate

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Calculate what you shitler.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have this from when I was at college (1997)

THREE COLOUR SCREEN MOTHER FUCKERS!!!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

How many years of misery and abject poverty I have ahead of me? A calculator destroyed my future and now calculators seek to remind me about it every chance they get.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
How do I play drug wars on this piece of poo poo

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blister posted:

I built up a cable that allowed me to use the serial port on my PC to send BASIC games over to the calc....I couldnt do graphs and poo poo anymore cos all the memory was used up, but the boxing game was fun.

http://www.casiopeia.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1473&sid=27410f0338774f5a77b40584e4227982

And this dude still has all the code listings:

http://www.charliewatson.com/casio/casgames.html

Have fun nerds!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blister posted:

Use the Table function g'lord

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

spud posted:

I have this from when I was at college (1997)

THREE COLOUR SCREEN MOTHER FUCKERS!!!

i had the opportunity to use one of newer models of this one recently and the interface is all exactly the same still lol

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Calculate what you shitler.

anything you want as long as it adds up to 80085

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

spud posted:

I built up a cable that allowed me to use the serial port on my PC to send BASIC games over to the calc....I couldnt do graphs and poo poo anymore cos all the memory was used up, but the boxing game was fun.

http://www.casiopeia.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1473&sid=27410f0338774f5a77b40584e4227982

And this dude still has all the code listings:

http://www.charliewatson.com/casio/casgames.html

Have fun nerds!

Hell yeah, I'm gonna go fake some productivity, thanks for this

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i prefer the Sharp WriteView EL-W516X OP. it is superior in both esthetic and calculation power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

i prefer the Sharp WriteView EL-W516X OP. it is superior in both esthetic and calculation power

I too prefer the decent to the actually good, except in the case of these calculators

• Locked thread