Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Origin posted:

The only other acceptable calculators are the 35s and the 12c.

RPN Master Race.

Loved this piece of hardware; tetris, chatting with students over the IR, some math. Amazing build quality on this thing - survived leaky batteries, being frozen in a puddle and university, and the ravages of time.

There is a cool free/no ads emulator for Android to called droid48sx. If it only had the clicky button noise, it would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

I too prefer the decent to the actually good, except in the case of these calculators

i am fascinated by how much poo poo they can cram into a solar powered microchip every year. lol spread sheets! i will admit this fx-991EX is a very impressive beast. i just could not justify buying one without becoming a calculator fetishist. if i was ever transported backward in time it is 100% the thing i would want to take

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I would love to see what a calculator built from the ground up with modern hardware would look like.

It's a shame that the ubiquitous factorial example program is like 12 lines of BASIC instead of: "n -> [1..n] |> fold 1 *" or whatever because calculators can't support modern languages.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Btw if you want RPN on the fx-991ex all you have to do is put the battery in backwards and only expose the solar cell to the light of tallow candles.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sheep-Goats posted:

Btw if you want RPN on the fx-991ex all you have to do is put the battery in backwards and only expose the solar cell to the light of tallow candles.
they've worked around the blood sacrifice part? excellent

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
why are calculators so bad. we have smartphones. why can't someone make a good calculator

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

why are calculators so bad. we have smartphones. why can't someone make a good calculator

All the calculator apps are loving horrible and I don't know why

Even if you are willing to pay money you get two line semifunctional poo poo

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
here is some calc-friendly music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIRsDHFiis

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

All the calculator apps are loving horrible and I don't know why

Even if you are willing to pay money you get two line semifunctional poo poo

Pfft, two lines is enough for those who don't use a stack properly anyways.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

just play THE PERCOLATOR and pretend they're saying calculator

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

Calculators are loving amazing. Smart Phone calc apps are terrible.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

scott zoloft posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HnIr6jYWU

contributing to the Yes portion of the thread

thank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
its pretty funny that devices that run on maths can't be used to input/output maths very efficiently

• Locked thread