Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

TARDISman posted:

I read the Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 novels when I was 14. Goddamn they were just loving awful.

I read all three of the Baldur's Gate novels, mostly because bad novels are a guilty pleasure. But yeah, they were really bad. All I can remember about them was something about "A cow sized spider and it's calf sized spider children" and the most awkward "And then they hosed" transition I'd ever encountered at that point.

Genetic Toaster posted:

The Command & Conquer 3 novelization was also hilariously terrible. Well worth seeking out. It made one guy so mad that he started writing a 50,000+ words grimdark WAR IS HELL fanfic to try and write a true novelization of the game.

I think that guy is now sperging out about Mass Effect now, trying to make it grimdark.

x1o fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The doom novels were fuuuucked. Especially the later ones and I swear they're morman propaganda.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TheHeadSage posted:

I read all three of the Baldur's Gate novels, mostly because bad novels are a guilty pleasure. But yeah, they were really bad. All I can remember about them was something about "A cow sized spider and it's calf sized spider children" and the most awkward "And then they hosed" transition I'd ever encountered at that point.

I think that guy is now sperging out about Mass Effect now, trying to make it grimdark.

My favorite parts were the author making Minsc into a redhead who was ditched at the first possible opportunity, Imoen basically showing up out of nowhere and killed off after being made into a lesbian, and CHARNAME having sex with Bodhi for no real reason.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Has anyone read any of the Splinter Cell books? Im looking to try at least one of them out. Most likely conviction since I really liked the plot of the game. I wish there was a book that followed Double Agent.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Atrocious Joe posted:

Peter Watts did a Crysis tie in novel. I've never read it but the idea fascinates me.

Likewise. I've never played Crysis but I want to grab it because I love Watts and would want him to write a tie-in of all my favorite properties.

Fall of Reach is good and told a better story than the game did, unsurprisingly. The other Halo novels are fairly meh. I did the short story Traviss did about Cortana's time with the Gravemind. I think she's good for things like that, where you let her in to deconstruct parts of the setting, but giving her free reign with multiple novels just... well.

The Baldur's Gate novels, though? Those are ridiculously bad for almost every reason. They don't adhere to plot points, major or minor, or characterization or, really, anything to do with the games at all. And I think the author even said he just wrote them between ad breaks on television. I'd rate them as worse than the fourth Mass Effect novel, the book that was so bad that they were going to do a second edition which never ended up happening. The other Mass Effect novels were just boring and uninspired because they kept using Aria and the Illusive Man and Cerberus. The ME novels are just a great example of missed opportunity. Not one of those novels told an interesting story, or a story that even needed to be told.

It can't be stressed enough how badly Bioware handled Mass Effect as a franchise.

Liberty's Crusade (Starcraft) is a really good tie in, though. It's kind of responsible for the Sarah/Raynor thing becoming as mainstream as it did. That and seeing the events of Starcraft through the eyes of a reporter was an interesting view. The author had a great grasp on the characters and world. Speed of Darkness is also a good one - a neat little story about a Confed marine and his first encounter with the Zerg.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 31, 2016

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If there is one thing that I'll give the Mass Effect extended universe stuff credit for is that it seems to go out of it's way to not contradict possible player choices.

They avoid any specifics about Shepard, characters won't appear after a game they can die in (Wrex, Kaiden & Ashley won't appear in any post ME1 stuff and any ME2 sqad memeber won't appear after ME2) and they won't make any story choices 'canon' (Anderson's post ME1 appearances are vague enough about his job that they don't tell you if he is the Human Councillor or Udina's aide).

Compare that to the Dragon Age stuff where they don't give a poo poo about avoiding player choices (I think there is an entire comic series starring Alistair as the king of Ferelden)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Veotax posted:

If there is one thing that I'll give the Mass Effect extended universe stuff credit for is that it seems to go out of it's way to not contradict possible player choices.

They avoid any specifics about Shepard, characters won't appear after a game they can die in (Wrex, Kaiden & Ashley won't appear in any post ME1 stuff and any ME2 sqad memeber won't appear after ME2) and they won't make any story choices 'canon' (Anderson's post ME1 appearances are vague enough about his job that they don't tell you if he is the Human Councillor or Udina's aide).

Compare that to the Dragon Age stuff where they don't give a poo poo about avoiding player choices (I think there is an entire comic series starring Alistair as the king of Ferelden)

DA is the B/C team/writting/game series for a reason. but yeah i am excited for Andromeda.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Descend...assassins+creed

also kids/young adults version of of assassins creed novels. boss tweed is templar.

• Locked thread