Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Atrocious Joe posted:

Peter Watts did a Crysis tie in novel. I've never read it but the idea fascinates me.

Likewise. I've never played Crysis but I want to grab it because I love Watts and would want him to write a tie-in of all my favorite properties.

Fall of Reach is good and told a better story than the game did, unsurprisingly. The other Halo novels are fairly meh. I did the short story Traviss did about Cortana's time with the Gravemind. I think she's good for things like that, where you let her in to deconstruct parts of the setting, but giving her free reign with multiple novels just... well.

The Baldur's Gate novels, though? Those are ridiculously bad for almost every reason. They don't adhere to plot points, major or minor, or characterization or, really, anything to do with the games at all. And I think the author even said he just wrote them between ad breaks on television. I'd rate them as worse than the fourth Mass Effect novel, the book that was so bad that they were going to do a second edition which never ended up happening. The other Mass Effect novels were just boring and uninspired because they kept using Aria and the Illusive Man and Cerberus. The ME novels are just a great example of missed opportunity. Not one of those novels told an interesting story, or a story that even needed to be told.

It can't be stressed enough how badly Bioware handled Mass Effect as a franchise.

Liberty's Crusade (Starcraft) is a really good tie in, though. It's kind of responsible for the Sarah/Raynor thing becoming as mainstream as it did. That and seeing the events of Starcraft through the eyes of a reporter was an interesting view. The author had a great grasp on the characters and world. Speed of Darkness is also a good one - a neat little story about a Confed marine and his first encounter with the Zerg.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread