Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plan Z posted:

The Metal Gear Solid and Doom novels have yet to be topped for awful for me.
i love the doom novel where it turns out the real power to resist demons resided in the mormon church

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doom guy gets back to earth and finds it's overrun by demons and the last remaining bastion of human resistance is holed up in a mormon church, and doom guy starts reading the book of mormon and is like 'you know... this makes a lot of sense!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Songbearer posted:

With Legion on the horizon I'm on a Warcraft bent and have been tempted to read some of the novella it's generated, but talk about a minefield. Anyone able to suggest any that are halfway decent for what they are, or are they all trashy Mary-Sue shartybooks?
christie golden's thrall books - rise of the horde and lord of the clans - are okay pulp fantasy. everything else is middling, with the more recent stuff generally being worse. mostly, you want to avoid richard knaak, who writes like a 13 year old on gaia online

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad News Panda posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Witcher novels? I've been debating whether to pick one up.
The translation quality varies but they're pretty solid and nothing in the two I read seemed that terribly translated, just occasionally stiff. And I don't know how much of that is the author. If you like the games, you'll definitely like the novels.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shin megami tensei is also better than the source novels

they're so much better that the guy who wrote the original megami tensei novel wrote 'sequel novels' that were just novelizations of the early smt games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veotax posted:

Enough to fill a fifteen page document.

Some of it is just spergy little details but then there are massive things like a character being described as having 'gotten over' her crippling Autism or the only gay character in the entire franchise (at that point) is suddenly straight.
calling them 'spergy little details' is kind of mean when the document itself acknowledges them as minor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can't even accuse that dude of leaning left politically, that implies he actually gets what he stands for. from what i can tell he pretty much co-opted that stuff and either doesn't get why people legitimately care about it or doesn't care. it's super transparent that he just wants to seem like 'the good guy.'

• Locked thread