Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Plan Z posted:

The Metal Gear Solid and Doom novels have yet to be topped for awful for me.

the metal gear novel is loving hilarious. its basicaly the game transcribed into book form but with way more death and lovely lovely punchlines.

https://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Rapture-John-Shirley/dp/0765367351/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472341168&sr=1-1&keywords=bioshock

i honestly sorta recomend this one. its basicaly follows one of my favorite ancillary character, Bill McDonagh (the dude who is basically Andrew Ryan's Davos Seaworth) and his whole time in rapture. it all takes place in the time leading up to bioshock 1. it came out after 2 so it weaves bioshock 2 characters in well enough. overall its ok, it adds some decent fluff as well as some dumbshit. overall if you love 1 and 2, read it sometime.

CowboyAndy posted:

I've started reading Deus Ex: Black Light, and it's good so far. If you liked Deus Ex 1, you'll really enjoy it, since now we're being introduced to the Illuminati from DX1.

nice, i may have to read this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jim DiGriz posted:

I'm a big fan of the Crysis series, so it might be a biased opinion, but I think it's really good. Watts has some neat extra tidbits on the suit and on the Ceph, fleshing out the uhh, mythology pretty well.

This. It's actually a pretty good book and explains stuff the game may have skimmed over or skipped. Like stuff about the ceph and that CELl.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

Yeah, it's weird to see Lucius Debeers as this major power player in the novel, when he's chilling in a man-size fridge in Deus Ex 1.

indeed he is in the game too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i know there are trillions of "unofficial" mincraft novels. most of them are about XXGARYSTU239XX and his/her adventures/saving the world in minecraft world. i know they are everywhere in walmarts and bookstores.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Mass Effect novel where a bad guy pissed on someone's house plant.

Yeah the first 2 mass effect novels were ok. But the 3rd one was baaad. The author never read the lore or played the games and it showed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicToast posted:

When I was a teen I read all the Blizzard game based novels. A few of them were pretty good, I especially remember a Starcraft one called Liberty's Crusade which had a unique reporter/grunt view of a zerg attack.

I also ate up all the Warcraft novel ones, which is pretty funny because I read all about Thrall and stuff before there was such a thing as Warcraft 3, and I always thought how would people understand the game as well if they never read the novels.

On the other hand, I never thought any of the Diablo ones were that good, which made me sad because Diablo II was the greatest game to me.

Why were the Diablo books bad?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Veotax posted:

That would be the forth actually. I would say the third was about the same caliber as the first two.

The forth was so bad that Bioware claimed that they would be producing a corrected version, which never came out.
Ok yeah I forgot it was the forth. 2 and 3 blend together with me. But yeah, 4 is beyond awful. It gets so much wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

my favorite videogame related novel is the one by MovieBob that documents the declining sanity of a man struggling to play videogames

http://www.p4rgaming.com/book-report-super-mario-bros-3-brick-by-brick-by-moviebob-aka-bob-chipman/

oh yeah. that sadbrain gently caress. he is writting another book apperently. he is going fulmacintosh and writing a book about what the gaming industry needs to do to change and poo poo. knowing him its probaly 1. sell only nintendo games. 2. ban shooters because the evil jock bro consevatives who picked on me in high school play them. and 3. hur dur all games need to be left leaning politicaly.

also, not a novel but the prototype comic is the edgyist tryhard poo poo i ever read outside of the Flesh Tearers warhammer 40k books.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

you can't even accuse that dude of leaning left politically, that implies he actually gets what he stands for. from what i can tell he pretty much co-opted that stuff and either doesn't get why people legitimately care about it or doesn't care. it's super transparent that he just wants to seem like 'the good guy.'

good point. he basically does it so he can look "cool super progressive good man" and have hipsters and wankers "cultural critics/"detectives" like farci and macintosh be friends with him and respect him, even though they would throw him under the bus fast as gently caress. so he sells himself and his own hobby down the river for clicks and pats on the back. because the console war was his personal vietnam or some poo poo.

back on the novel topic. the assassins creed books are ok especialy 3 since its mostly following haythem. also they are making young adult novels for AC. https://www.amazon.com/Last-Descend...assassins+creed

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 29, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

There were two Elder Scrolls books that were about what happens between Oblivion and Skyrim. They weren't bad, but the plot was remarkably boring for the setting the author was writing. All the background stuff like how the Empire fell to pieces due to a constantly rotating series of Emperors and warlords taking over in Patrick Stewart's stead, Red Mountain exploding and Morrowind being destroyed, Argonia getting hosed by the floating island from Oblivion that the actual plot was taking place on were way cooler than "alchemist and friend get trapped on floating island, alchemist becomes chef for increasingly ethereal beings with increasingly ethereal palates that rule the island and friend gets enslaved working to keep the island going with a bunch of clone-being slaves constructed from what the island was floating over and leads a revolt, also the daedric lord whose offer no one ever takes up because the sword was better" shows up, along with the sword which is secretly a demon. The subplots even wind up taking over partly and it turns out the main plot largely didn't matter in favor of the rest of it.

i need to read those and i am sure my GF would also like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Veotax posted:

If there is one thing that I'll give the Mass Effect extended universe stuff credit for is that it seems to go out of it's way to not contradict possible player choices.

They avoid any specifics about Shepard, characters won't appear after a game they can die in (Wrex, Kaiden & Ashley won't appear in any post ME1 stuff and any ME2 sqad memeber won't appear after ME2) and they won't make any story choices 'canon' (Anderson's post ME1 appearances are vague enough about his job that they don't tell you if he is the Human Councillor or Udina's aide).

Compare that to the Dragon Age stuff where they don't give a poo poo about avoiding player choices (I think there is an entire comic series starring Alistair as the king of Ferelden)

DA is the B/C team/writting/game series for a reason. but yeah i am excited for Andromeda.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Descend...assassins+creed

also kids/young adults version of of assassins creed novels. boss tweed is templar.

• Locked thread