Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Lately I have been on a video game novel reading kick, so I have read a few and recently just bought a few more. So far I have read Deus Ex: Icarus Effect, Bioshock: Rapture, and Halo: Fall of Reach. Most of them have been surprisingly pretty good and engaging. One of them even got a direct video game sequel made out of it, even it was lovely.

The best of the bunch is easily Bioshock: Rapture. Takes place shortly before the first game and kind of talks about life in Rapture before it fell apart. Some very good characterizations that covers both Bioshock 1 and 2, although Bioshock 1 takes the forefront. If I were to say that any of them were worth reading it is this one.

The worst for me was Halo: Fall of Reach. It's odd because it is the one that I see a lot of people recommending. But then again, I also think it was one of the first out there that were decently written. But for me, it feels like fanfiction about how awesome Master Chief is. Adding to that, I was kind of disappointed that the actual Fall of Reach was covered so quickly. By the time I felt that it started, it was already over. I will admit that I am kind of biased because after playing Halo: Reach, that is closer to what I expected the book to be.

In the middle was Deus Ex: Icarus Effect which introduces the villains of Human Revolution and talks about them in more detail. Pretty straightforward book, but it did actually get a direct sequel in Deus Ex: The Fall which apparently is a lovely mobile game that was for some reason released on PC as well. I don't know what else to say about this book other than its solid

Books I have on the backburner to read:

Killzone: Ascendency
Deus Ex: Black Light
Some of the Splinter Cell novels

Any other recommendations from goons?

Edit: Also, how could I forget! I also read Metro: 2033 but that is a case of a video game based off of a book and not the other way around. Definitely worth a read if you like the video game. Although it is miles different in tone since in the book, Artyom is basically a wimp.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

tithin posted:

I love the resident evil novels

they're so god damned awful

Even City of the Dead? I heard that one was actually pretty decent.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bloodly posted:

I remember reading the novel for Rise of The Robots at one time.

Yes, THAT Rise of the Robots.

Wouldn't say I'd 'recommend' it. I remember it went a lot into the mental state of the main character, the Cyborg. I remember it as weird, but readable. Then again, this is over a 15+ year gap, so maybe I don't remember clearly.

I never realized Rise of the Robots was popular enough to even warrant a novel. What a lovely fighting game. That being said, fighting games seem perfect to write stuff about considering what little backstory most of them have.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Has anyone read any of the Splinter Cell books? Im looking to try at least one of them out. Most likely conviction since I really liked the plot of the game. I wish there was a book that followed Double Agent.

• Locked thread