Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah the first 2 mass effect novels were ok. But the 3rd one was baaad. The author never read the lore or played the games and it showed.

That would be the forth actually. I would say the third was about the same caliber as the first two.

The forth was so bad that Bioware claimed that they would be producing a corrected version, which never came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Ok yeah I forgot it was the forth. 2 and 3 blend together with me. But yeah, 4 is beyond awful. It gets so much wrong.

Enough to fill a fifteen page document.

Some of it is just spergy little details but then there are massive things like a character being described as having 'gotten over' her crippling Autism or the only gay character in the entire franchise (at that point) is suddenly straight.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If there is one thing that I'll give the Mass Effect extended universe stuff credit for is that it seems to go out of it's way to not contradict possible player choices.

They avoid any specifics about Shepard, characters won't appear after a game they can die in (Wrex, Kaiden & Ashley won't appear in any post ME1 stuff and any ME2 sqad memeber won't appear after ME2) and they won't make any story choices 'canon' (Anderson's post ME1 appearances are vague enough about his job that they don't tell you if he is the Human Councillor or Udina's aide).

Compare that to the Dragon Age stuff where they don't give a poo poo about avoiding player choices (I think there is an entire comic series starring Alistair as the king of Ferelden)

• Locked thread