Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the league this year
This poll is closed.
Celtic 9 18.75%
Aberdeen 7 14.58%
Hearts 2 4.17%
The Rangers 5 10.42%
Hibs are shite 25 52.08%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Since no-one else can be arsed doing it, here's your super low effort SPFL thread

The SPFLs official youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/splofficial

The official SPFL site.
http://spfl.co.uk/

Twitter
https://twitter.com/spfl

The teams:

Aberdeen

Home City: Aberdeen
Ground: Pittodrie Stadium
Manager: Derek McInnes
Last Finish: 2nd

Celtic

Home City: Glasgow
Ground: Celtic Park
Manager: Brendan Rodgers
Last Finish: 1st

Dundee

Home City: Dundee
Ground: Dens Park
Manager: Paul Hartley
Last Finish: 8th

Heart of Midlothian

Home City: Edinburgh
Ground: Tynecastle
Manager: Robbie Nelson
Last Finish: 3rd

Hamilton

Home City:Hamilton
Ground: New Douglas Park
Manager: Russ
Last Finish: 10th

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Home City: Inverness
Ground: Tulloch Caledonian Stadium,
Manager: Richie Foran
Last Finish: 7th

Kilmarnock

Home City: Kilmarnock
Ground: Rugby Park
Manager: Lee Clark
Last Finish: 11th

Motherwell

Home City: Motherwell
Ground: Fir Park
Manager: Mark McGhee
Last Finish: 5th

Partick Thistle

Ground: Firhill
Manager: Alan Archibald
Last Finish: 9th

Ross County

Home "City": Dingwall
Ground: Global Energy Stadium
Manager: Jim McIntyre
Last Finish: 6th

St Johnstone

Home City: Perth
Ground: McDiarmid Park
Manager: Tommy Wright
Last Finish: 4th

The Rangers

Ground: Ibrox Stadium
Manager: Mark Warbeton
Last Finish: Promoted from Championship

jre fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Scottish Football

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Wait where are hibs???????

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Mods ban anyone who votes for Aberdeen to save the rest of us

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Good job to Partick Thistle for losing in the 90th minute.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

duckmaster posted:

Wait where are hibs???????

In the bin championship

Hand Knit posted:

Good job to Partick Thistle for losing in the 90th minute.

Classic Thistle.

Hey remember this:

Total Meatlove posted:

Police Scotland and the Daily Record have teamed up for some kind of quasi-'The Truth' style defence of how poo poo the policing was at the game.

Fans spat on hero officers
Fans attacked officers going to help
Fans used their children as human shields

All with no attributed source or CCTV footage.

IPSO ruled against the record
https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=03188-16

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Celtic: De Vries, Lustig, Toure, Sviatchenko, Tierney, Bitton, Brown, Forrest, Rogic, Sinclair, Dembele. Subs: Gordon, Ciftci, Izaguirre, Gamboa, Armstrong, Roberts, McGregor.

Rangers: Foderingham, Tavernier, Senderos, Kiernan, Wallace, Barton, Kranjcar, Windass, Garner, Miller, McKay. Subs: Gilks, Hill, Forrester, O'Halloran, Halliday, Waghorn, Hodson

No Griffiths for Celtic is a huge blow. I'm properly nervous. We've had a good start under Rodgers but we're wobbly as gently caress at the back.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Are you Hibs in disguise?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
All Rangers being back in the top division accomplishes is them taking points off Celtic's potential title rivals, they're gonna win the league by 30 points

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

HJB posted:

All Rangers being back in the top division accomplishes is them taking points off Celtic's potential title rivals, they're gonna win the league by 30 points

There's no chance that team is taking much from Aberdeen or Hearts

Goals:

1-0 https://streamable.com/0tch
2-0 https://streamable.com/tgt2
3-1 https://streamable.com/351u
4-1 https://streamable.com/x4cp
5-1 https://streamable.com/gcqo

jre fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 10, 2016

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
lol Senderos

Is Joey Barton the best player in Scotland yet?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coohoolin posted:

lol Senderos

and the cry was no Senderos

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I knew Dembele would step up, guy has been raring to go every opportunity he's had (mostly as a sub) and looked quality. What a hat-trick, what a performance, what a bookie bashing. I made a couple of hundred yesterday on his hat-trick and Celtic -3, know loads of people who won big. A great day. Glasgow's Green and White.

Typical of Aberdeen to draw, makes next week quite tasty at Pittodrie though.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

How's Kolo been?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

Glasgow's Green and White.

And red and yellow. Don't forget red and yellow.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Ewar Woowar posted:

How's Kolo been?

Really good, I was surprised at how much pace he still has. It make a difference having someone with experience in the centre of defence after years of 22 year old centre back pairings

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

And red and yellow. Don't forget red and yellow.

Kingsley doesn't have any red on him, though?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

Kingsley doesn't have any red on him, though?

yet

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:ohdear:

The Dundee united game sounded insane , Cammy Bell saved three penalties from three different takers in the first half

quote:

Cammy Bell made three first-half penalty saves to help Dundee United beat Dunfermline Athletic despite being reduced to 10 men at East End Park.

The goalkeeper had already stopped a Gavin Reilly spot-kick before Simon Murray's close-range opener for United.

Bell kept out penalties from Nicky Clark and Paul McMullan and Tony Andreu's drive extended the lead.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:cry:

On a different note, is the slow pace/post count of this years SPFL thread linked to the lack of child abuse jokes; or is it because Hibernian aren't poo poo?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
If I've learned anything from lurking this thread it's that Hibs are poo poo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Aberdeen are poo poo as well imo

So bad yesterday

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Gigi Galli posted:

If I've learned anything from lurking this thread it's that Hibs are poo poo.

Be interesting to see how they manage to hibs it this year.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

SPFL thread needs a poo poo Hibernian.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Are there even any Rangers fans left in this dying comedy forum?

Brendan is hungry, Dembele is hungry, Sinclair is hungry, what's for dinner? Barcelona sandwhich?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Her Dryer posted:

Brendan is hungry, Dembele is hungry, Sinclair is hungry, what's for dinner? Barcelona sandwhich?

check out the photo/video thread for a cool surprise

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Her Dryer posted:

Hello Hello

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

BisonDollah posted:

:cry:

On a different note, is the slow pace/post count of this years SPFL thread linked to the lack of child abuse jokes; or is it because Hibernian aren't poo poo?

Hibs are still poo poo

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Her Dryer posted:

Just me. Hi.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
:gizz:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Quiet in here.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Have some SPFL advanced stats including expected goals:

quote:

BY DOUGLAS WRIGHT

THE Ibrox side and Aberdeen – two so-called title contenders – are analysed but their problems couldn’t be any more different.

THE two of them were supposed to be Celtic’s main challengers to the Premiership crown.

Midway through September, however, and Rangers already find themselves four points behind their Glasgow rivals.

As for the other contender – Aberdeen – well they’re a full six points off the pace.

Should Celtic win their game in hand against Partick Thistle, it wouldn’t be all that presumptuous to declare the title challenge dead in the water for both sides.

Shot statistics can help to paint a picture of what’s going wrong at these clubs, and it appears as if the two rivals are facing entirely different problems this season.

While Rangers take the second highest number of shots in the league, they are currently letting in just under half of all shots on target they face.

A good rule of thumb used in the analysis community is that roughly one in every three shots on target results in a goal. Rangers letting in nine goals from 19 shots on target is worrying news for the Ibrox club.

Indeed, if they keep conceding at this rate, they are on course to ship 68 goals over the course of the season. Only relegated Dundee United let in more last term.

But there’s worse to come for Rangers and their fans.

Football analyst Paul Riley (@footballfactman) did a study of how many shots it takes on average to score from a certain area of the pitch and found that efforts from the central channel of the penalty box are by far and away the biggest source of goals.

On average, one in every six shots taken in the green zone will end up in the back of the net. For the Scottish Premiership, I calculate “danger zone” shots; i.e. how many shots each team takes and allows in the green zone; where teams are most likely to score from.

And here’s the takeaway stat for Rangers fans. Every single goal the Ibrox outfit have conceded in the league this season has come from this zone. Of the 15 shots Rangers have faced in this area, nine have turned into goals. Damning stuff.

The chances Rangers are giving away are dangerous ones. The message to Warburton is clear: the defending within the 18-yard box – and specifically the danger zone – is abysmal and needs improved as a matter of urgency if he is to drag Rangers back into contention.

Now let’s look at Aberdeen, who seem to have the opposite problem.

Not only have they they scored the least amount of actual goals, but they have the lowest “expected goals” score too.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes after the 1-1 draw with Inverness
“Expected goals” measures the quality of chances that teams create and concede on a game-by-game basis, and they are a better indicator of future performance than anything else. Matt Rhein of The Backpass Rule collects expected goals stats for the Scottish Premiership. You can find his work here .

This is a problem for Aberdeen. They’re scoring fewer goals and creating less chances than anyone else in the league. If they continue to struggle in front of goal at the same rate as they have, they’ll finish the the season having hit the back of the net just 30 times. Even Dundee United managed to score 45 last term.

Luckily, their defence has been the meanest in the league, giving their opponents fewer chances to score than any other team. If you exclude the Celtic game, the Dons have only conceded twice in four games. Aberdeen supporters should be asking themselves whether these stats are down to a defensive style of play or just inept attacking.

Two fierce rivals; two entirely different problems.

Aberdeen may have been the undisputed second team in Scotland in recent years but their struggles in front of goal are preventing them from repeating the feat this term. Meanwhile, the problems for Warburton’s men lie at the other end of the pitch, with the Ibrox outfit conceding nearly half of all shots on target they face.

Only a drastic turnaround for both clubs in these areas can give them a shot of a title challenge.

If you like what you’ve read, my Twitter account @dougie_analysis provides stats and video analysis of a number of aspects of Scottish football

jre fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 15, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

quote:

Should Celtic win their game in hand against Partick Thistle

It is very polite of the author to present this as a hypothetical.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
James Maddison will drag Aberdeen to the title just like Big Carlton Morris dragged Hamilton to safety on his broad atlus like shouders

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Joey Barton's been sent home after a fight during training, what an unexpected development!!!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Her Dryer posted:

Joey Barton's been sent home after a fight during training, what an unexpected development!!!

Someone on Twitter is saying it's because Barton tackled Andy Halliday harshly, Halliday responded by getting in Barton's face and calling him a Fenian bastard, and then Barton responded by punching Halliday in the face and calling him an Orange oval office. (The reporter might be unreliable though, he's had a history of doing stuff like this.)

I'm just surprised it took this long for this sort of thing to happen.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 15, 2016

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Dundee 1 - 0 Aberdeen https://streamable.com/9jh7

1-1 https://streamable.com/x8s9

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

At my first Thistle game of the year, against Motherwell. Quality wise it's a horror show, but Thistle leads so so far so good.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Kilmarnock scored a ludicrous goal today
Then got murdered :rip:

https://twitter.com/CelticGoals/status/779695208116158464

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Aberdeen - Sevco already looking tasty.