Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the league this year
This poll is closed.
Celtic 9 18.75%
Aberdeen 7 14.58%
Hearts 2 4.17%
The Rangers 5 10.42%
Hibs are shite 25 52.08%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Celtic to play Linfield in Belfast on the 12th of July in Champions league qualifier. Thanks UEFA. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

jre posted:

Celtic to play Linfield in Belfast on the 12th of July in Champions league qualifier. Thanks UEFA. :suicide:

That's assuming Linfield win their tie.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

That's assuming Linfield win their tie.

They're playing the champions of San Marino, but then again this is a team from Northern Ireland we're talking about.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sevco missed the deadline for registering a kit, so will play in last years strip. :laffo:

https://twitter.com/RangersFC/status/877592529209769985

jre fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 22, 2017

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

jre posted:

Sevco missed the deadline for registering a kit, so will play in last years strip. :laffo:

People will buy it this year though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Thrifting Day! posted:

People will buy it this year though.

If they don't the club should just reassign everyone new squad numbers.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jre posted:

Lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

jre posted:

For once the new Rangers will be the same as the old.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

TheRangers just got bounced from Europe by a team from Luxembourg.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
lol

Ryan "I want to play in big european games" Jack, you loving melt

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

TheRangers just got bounced from Europe by a team from Luxembourg.

tbf they were 4th in the prestigious Luxembourg national division, it's not like these were lower-table journeymen

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Paddy Power have paid out on Celtic winning the league

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They’re not wrong to either

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:staredog:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Total Meatlove posted:

lmao

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
amazing hahaha

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

When should we abandon this thread and make our way to the new competitive SPFL season thread?

2023?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Phwoar that alliteration.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Mods please make this a forums smiley tia

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Supreme Court rules in HMRC's favour. DeadRangers cheated. There is no appeal.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Supreme Court rules in HMRC's favour. DeadRangers cheated. There is no appeal.

The gift that just keeps on giving. Why there is no discussion about stripping titles/trophies I'll never know, from 2001-09 they were won by cheating the taxman and the history books should reflect that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Coral/status/882595847304867841

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Total Meatlove posted:

They've only tweeted that they will, they're still taking bets. It's 1/10 if you like free money.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/882523514766536704
https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/882523722875367425
https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/882527308292263936
https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/882528251737976832

quote:

WE note today’s decision by the Supreme Court. Celtic's position on this issue has been consistent - that this has always been a matter for the courts of law and also the Scottish football authorities, whose rules are intended to uphold sporting integrity.
In 2013, we expressed surprise - shared by many observers and supporters of the game - over the findings of the SPL Commission that no competitive or sporting advantage had resulted. Today’s decision only re-affirms that view.
We are sure now that the footballing authorities in Scotland will wish to review this matter. Celtic awaits the outcome of their review.
http://www.celticfc.net/news/12873

quote:

The Board of the Scottish FA notes the judgment of the Supreme Court and wishes to clarify the implications of this final legal decision from a football regulatory perspective.

In light of the Inner House of the Court of Session decision, the Board of the Scottish FA sought external senior counsel opinion to ensure a robust and independent consideration of all implications of today’s judgment.

The Board received written advice from Senior Counsel, amplified when the QC attended a full meeting of the Board to discuss his conclusions.

Specifically, Senior Counsel was asked to anticipate whether a determination in favour of HMRC, as announced today, could imply that there had been a breach of the Scottish FA’s Disciplinary Rules as they applied at the time of the EBT payments.

The clear opinion of Senior Counsel is that there is a very limited chance of the Scottish FA succeeding in relation to any complaint regarding this matter and that, even if successful, any sanctions available to a Judicial Panel would also be limited in their scope.

Accordingly, having had time to consider the opinion from Senior Counsel, and having examined the judgment of the UK Supreme Court, the Board has determined that no further disciplinary action should be taken by the Scottish FA at this time.
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsID=17055&newsCategoryID=1

Things could get interesting...

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

BisonDollah posted:

Things could get interesting...

No they won't.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Thrifting Day! posted:

No they won't.

Gasp! The thing I quoted in my original post!

If you think that's the end of things then fair gently caress's to you. Sleep well.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

BisonDollah posted:

Gasp! The thing I quoted in my original post!

If you think that's the end of things then fair gently caress's to you. Sleep well.

It looks pretty definitive to me.

But maybe Twitter says something different?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Thrifting Day! posted:

It looks pretty definitive to me.

But maybe Twitter says something different?

Celtic say "we wait to see what the new review will say, but were surprised at the old one".

SFA say "eh, we done the review, move along" within a matter of hours (if even that).

The club's statement makes obvious they are looking for some sort of well thought out investigation/consideration to stripping titles "as subtle as a Rambo knife" was that statement. Celtic fans already talking about staying away from cups, etc, and suing the SFA for season ticket/travel money during the seasons they were supposed to be attending fair competitive games. A fair bit of YER DA type bluster but will be interesting to see if the SFA actually have the last word on it there, I don't think so. Played their hand extremely fast.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I can't imagine a less prestigious trophy you could possibly have on your record than one where you came well second in a dying league but then made a bunch of weepy threats to the SFA about the unfairness of bad accounting practices until they gave you a trophy to go away

Well, I mean, unless the team that beat you had just been turfed out of Europe in July by a plastic free-kick wall and three children in an overcoat - that'd probably be less prestigious

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I can't imagine a less prestigious trophy you could possibly have on your record than one where you came well second in a dying league but then made a bunch of weepy threats to the SFA about the unfairness of bad accounting practices until they gave you a trophy to go away

Well, I mean, unless the team that beat you had just been turfed out of Europe in July by a plastic free-kick wall and three children in an overcoat - that'd probably be less prestigious

If you don't believe this has any chance of happening then you should make peace with it because the way everything is going for the Rangers fans this is a loving dead 'cert.

The gift that just keeps on giving.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

BisonDollah posted:

If you don't believe this has any chance of happening then you should make peace with it because the way everything is going for the Rangers fans this is a loving dead 'cert.

The gift that just keeps on giving.

I mean, I don't actually care where old scottish trophies end up, but sometimes it's nice to go to the zoo.

That said, the problem you're going to have here is that from a technical perspective, Rangers haven't broken the law, they've just underpaid tax. If the club in question was Manchester City, they'd just cut a cheque for £30m or so in the lobby and then be done with the whole thing. Still cheaper than loving Mangala. It's not that unusual for a major company to have tax disputes with HMRC and to come to some settlement later. HMRC haven't been chasing this so that they can lock up the people involved, they've been chasing it because it sets a precedent for similar schemes elsewhere.

Of course, in the fact that Old Rangers immediately collapsed like a hot air balloon full of farts and bigotry as soon as it was challenged pretty much implies that they gained a major on-field advantage from doing it, but unless the SFA has a rule on the books that says "thou shalt not run up clownish and unpayable debt while chasing the dream of being able to beat teams from countries that exist in my dad's Atlas", you've got nothing really to charge them with.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I'm sure Bert would have definitely signed for Rangers for half the wages.

We should have a whip round for him after his bankruptcy from the tax proceedings against him and the other 47 players.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I mean, I don't actually care where old scottish trophies end up, but sometimes it's nice to go to the zoo.

That said, the problem you're going to have here is that from a technical perspective, Rangers haven't broken the law, they've just underpaid tax. If the club in question was Manchester City, they'd just cut a cheque for £30m or so in the lobby and then be done with the whole thing. Still cheaper than loving Mangala. It's not that unusual for a major company to have tax disputes with HMRC and to come to some settlement later. HMRC haven't been chasing this so that they can lock up the people involved, they've been chasing it because it sets a precedent for similar schemes elsewhere.

Of course, in the fact that Old Rangers immediately collapsed like a hot air balloon full of farts and bigotry as soon as it was challenged pretty much implies that they gained a major on-field advantage from doing it, but unless the SFA has a rule on the books that says "thou shalt not run up clownish and unpayable debt while chasing the dream of being able to beat teams from countries that exist in my dad's Atlas", you've got nothing really to charge them with.

From a technical perspective Rangers played 48 ineligible players in these games because they submitted fake contracts to the SFA as part of defrauding the tax man.

The SFA punishment for Spartans failing to date one page of a contract for a player was to throw them out the Scottish cup and fine them £4,000.
Rangers submitting 48 fake contracts was totally fine though apparently

Nobody wants the vacated titles, but they should 100% be stripped.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

The debt came from Oldco paying players/staff more money by making some of their wages an untaxable "loan" from the club, illegal contracts - other teams couldn't compete with the wages offered and 48 players likely wouldn't have signed for Rangers without it. If that's not an unfair advantage I don't know what is. This scheme is also a large part of why Scottish football abandoned the youth setup in order to chase a team running away with titles by unfairly buying in players they couldn't actually afford without cheating the tax man; so you could blame it in part for the larger deterioration of the game in Scotland as teams tried to apply the same tactics of buying in foreigners and running into massive financial troubles for doing so.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

jre posted:

From a technical perspective Rangers played 48 ineligible players in these games because they submitted fake contracts to the SFA as part of defrauding the tax man.

The SFA punishment for Spartans failing to date one page of a contract for a player was to throw them out the Scottish cup and fine them £4,000.
Rangers submitting 48 fake contracts was totally fine though apparently

Nobody wants the vacated titles, but they should 100% be stripped.

They’re not going to be stripped, they’ll never be stripped, stop wanking yourself into a furore over this and accept it or you’ll end up like one of the nutters who reads Phil macs blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Blaming Rangers for the Premier League getting sky money won’t make Scottish football healthier either Jesus christ

• Locked thread