Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Crystal Geometry posted:

Obesity today is widespread. Two generations ago it was not. Did the genes change?

Double quote I know..

But this is loving great and im stealing it.

Disclaimer: I formally acknowledge some people have genuine medical conditions that make them fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sonofsilversign posted:

its crazy healthcare infrastructure is gonna have to completely restructured to deal with them. they have to make excuses at crematoriums as to why family cant watch cause they dont wannna tell them they have to dismember fatties to fit in the ovens lmao

i viewed new zealand as an active and mostly independent little shire farm country that seems less depressed than australia and way less full of rage

i'm not doubting your posts entirely, but this one seems a little extreme. in new zealand: people ask to watch their loved ones be put into the ash oven so they can see how the alive to urn process works? what?

that part is much less easy to believe than new zealand having an obesity epidemic, i'm sure in 20 years all the remaining 'first world' countries who eat similar food that is popular in the U.S. will all be loving diabetic at 30

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Studies don't prove things.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

extra stout posted:

will all be loving diabetic at 30

was curious, this is actually less depressing than expected

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/age/fig2.htm

so about ~55, and no clear trend that it's getting younger. i have no loving idea how, given obesity trends. that doesnt seem so ba

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/incidence/fig3.htm

...oh. although looks like another global financial crisis would be in the interest of public health

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

extra stout posted:

i viewed new zealand as an active and mostly independent little shire farm country that seems less depressed than australia and way less full of rage

i'm not doubting your posts entirely, but this one seems a little extreme. in new zealand: people ask to watch their loved ones be put into the ash oven so they can see how the alive to urn process works? what?

that part is much less easy to believe than new zealand having an obesity epidemic, i'm sure in 20 years all the remaining 'first world' countries who eat similar food that is popular in the U.S. will all be loving diabetic at 30

i dunno how common it is in general or if its a cultural thing but yeah crematoriums here have viewing windows for the "final committal" of the body. its as classy as it can be i guess they dont just slide the corpse into an oven on a pizza peel.

nz has a 1/3 obesity rate so more or less equivalent to america i think? though we have alot of pacific islanders who legitimately do tend to be genetically fat so id generally give them a pass

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

whats the evolutionary benefit for being fat?

+5 Famine and drought resistance
-10 agility
-10 charisma

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty much everything that makes you unique is genetic.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Thought thread title said that fat was generic and I have to agree. Find a new way to be unappealing, that poo poo is played out.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Breakfast All Day posted:

was curious, this is actually less depressing than expected

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/age/fig2.htm

so about ~55, and no clear trend that it's getting younger. i have no loving idea how, given obesity trends. that doesnt seem so ba

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/incidence/fig3.htm

...oh. although looks like another global financial crisis would be in the interest of public health

it seems like it is very very easy to render yourself useless and unattractive, without any future at a young age, but pretty hard to actually destroy a body that young

still they guarantee ending up in the other graph

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sonofsilversign posted:

i dunno how common it is in general or if its a cultural thing but yeah crematoriums here have viewing windows for the "final committal" of the body. its as classy as it can be i guess they dont just slide the corpse into an oven on a pizza peel.

nz has a 1/3 obesity rate so more or less equivalent to america i think? though we have alot of pacific islanders who legitimately do tend to be genetically fat so id generally give them a pass

i appreciate you for educating us on new zealand

its getting sad how few fat american jokes any of you idiots can ever tell anymore, aren't there like a half dozen countries catching up the the usa now

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Pvt.Scott posted:

My parents have tons of obese relatives on both sides of their families. They are both physically fit, or in my mother's case, actually a little underweight.

Both me and my brother are giant obese sacks of poo poo and I'd say it's a combination of diet and sedentary lifestyle that are the main contributors to our obesity. However, even during times of my life where I've worked 40+ hours a week in physically demanding jobs, watched my diet and gone to the gym, I've never been not fat. I don't have any of the gland problems or whatever doctors test for because I got tested once, so I won't use that for an excuse.

In high school I had weightlifting class which was nothing but running and lifting weights, in addition to doing swimming and walking on my own time (small towns are great for exploring on foot), being involved in wrestling (read two hours of running and wrassling non-stop on a reduced diet) etc, and still being a pudgy gently caress.

Hell, when I was a kid I rode my bike, ran around and swam all the time and I was still a fat gently caress.

Soda, and later booze, are large avoidable sources of calories that I have been cut out before. It's just disheartening when I eat smaller portions of everything, lean meat, eggs, plenty of vegetables and some fruit for a few months without cheating while exercising multiple times a week and lose ten pounds at ~425.

I figure at this point I'm just retarded or something. Maybe it has to do with chronic depression and some of the meds I used to take? Those particular meds kept me from killing myself at the time, but I gained about 60 pounds in a year on them, which is how I got up to the 420s in the first place. I'm on different poo poo now, obviously. Maintained the same weight give or take ten pounds for about five-six years since.

I guess I'll just keep trying. :shrug:

E: Getting a CPAP stabilized my weight a lot, but I still have trouble sleeping because of depression or mania with BPD. So lack of regular sleep sure doesn't help.

Can we get this post as the scrolling back ground of gbs ??

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

extra stout posted:

its getting sad how few fat american jokes any of you idiots can ever tell anymore, aren't there like a half dozen countries catching up the the usa now

Its still funnier because America has a whole ecosystem dedicated to being fat.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

extra stout posted:

i appreciate you for educating us on new zealand

im an american friend and fat people are the whole worlds problem now the time for jokes has passed

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I guess now you have two types of fat jeans, op.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
lets turn the thread slightly: is the global obesity epidemic one of the least talked about massive, unforgivable issues with globalism?

will america still claim to be the best run country in the world after every country that we even drop off crates of free food to has it's average lifespan drop 10 years?

how long can this go entirely ignored/ exploited by the media until the entire planet wakes up and says 'shoot the ceo of kraft and pepsico'

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

How to not be fat:

Don't eat so much and move your butt a lot more forever and ever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's ridiculous

How am I supposed to not eat a lot of food? How does that even work? Stop talking out of your rear end, idiot

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

wow, normally its all just white noise from this poster

is this what the movie 'contact' felt like

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
There's no reason why the other extreme is impossible to comprehend. Hard gainers versus hard losers.

It's like 1% of people who lose significant weight keep it off

Otoh, I practically cannot gain weight. Like the guy who said he did the dairy diet (i assume GOMAD) and barely changed

There's no reason for high metabolic or whatever people who never had to earn their thinness should be unwilling to believe the other extreme

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

There's no reason why the other extreme is impossible to comprehend. Hard gainers versus hard losers.

It's like 1% of people who lose significant weight keep it off

Otoh, I practically cannot gain weight. Like the guy who said he did the dairy diet (i assume GOMAD) and barely changed

There's no reason for high metabolic or whatever people who never had to earn their thinness should be unwilling to believe the other extreme

this is partially true but as other poster pointed out a few pages ago: how did the homo sapien max out at like 200 pounds as the tubbiest person in town for the last 100,000 years of the species and then in the last 100 years there's like fat circus ladies, then in the last 20 years 1 in 10 people is a fat circus person

it doesn't add up, the human diet and lifestyle have been ruined and no amount of genetic disorders can change the factual, empirical decline of society

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Blue Train posted:

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill em all

five

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

extra stout posted:

this is partially true but as other poster pointed out a few pages ago: how did the homo sapien max out at like 200 pounds as the tubbiest person in town for the last 100,000 years of the species and then in the last 100 years there's like fat circus ladies, then in the last 20 years 1 in 10 people is a fat circus person

it doesn't add up, the human diet and lifestyle have been ruined and no amount of genetic disorders can change the factual, empirical decline of society

times used to be, a fat person was someone who couldn't outrun a bear

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zorodius posted:

times used to be, a fat person was someone who couldn't outrun a bear

some goon posted a story about a turkish? warlord who went insane banging 50 women at a time, unsatisfied by life, and demanded the fattest woman on earth be brought to him

she was like 150 kilos and this was only a few hundred years ago lol

the year 900 must have had like a usain bolt and a mickey mantle in every single town on earth

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

extra stout posted:

some goon posted a story about a turkish? warlord who went insane banging 50 women at a time, unsatisfied by life, and demanded the fattest woman on earth be brought to him

she was like 150 kilos and this was only a few hundred years ago lol

the year 900 must have had like a usain bolt and a mickey mantle in every single town on earth

paging ozma

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Hunger is an output of a very complex system. America's obesity is a disease of capitalism. If you eat garbage processed foods, you will constantly be hungry because you're most likely highly insulin resistant. So you're both overweight and starving. Make steamed vegetables and fresh whole fruits 50-75% of your diet and come back and tell me that your genetically derived hunger drive is too strong.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 29, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

KVeezy3 posted:

Hunger is an output of a very complex system. America's obesity is a disease of capitalism. If you eat garbage processed foods, you will constantly be hungry because you're most likely highly insulin resistant. So you're both overweight and starving. Make steamed vegetables and fresh whole fruits 50-75% of your diet and come back and tell me that your genetically derived hunger drive is too strong.

I hate you so loving much

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I hate you so loving much

As Americans, we love to blame the individual despite obesity being a literal epidemic. At some point, we might hold the food industries accountable, but it will take a giant ideological shift, because we love the myth of individualism as an excuse for greed and exploitation on a national scale in all facets of our lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vQSKSJMyc

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
anybody who was doubting this kind of conclusion has never seen a fat family i guess?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

KVeezy3 posted:

As Americans, we love to blame the individual despite obesity being a literal epidemic. At some point, we might hold the food industries accountable, but it will take a giant ideological shift, because we love the myth of individualism as an excuse for greed and exploitation on a national scale in all facets of our lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vQSKSJMyc

you could have made a joke and posted something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2mU6USTBRE
you didnt. that is why I hate you

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Apologies if it has already been posted.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

some ppl in here are really not understanding this paper.

what it says is that people with high BMIs will probably have high BMI biological children. there is no reason given for that. that people with high BMIs don't produce high BMI adopted children at the same rate indicates that the issue is NOT THE DIET THAT THE PARENTS ARE FEEDING THE CHILDREN.

the reason is not "genetic disorder." it's bound to be some ridiculously complex issues concerning metabolism of various kinds of food chemicals, hormone production, fat and muscle generation, blah blah blah. this doesn't mean you are doomed to have high BMI, but it probably means you're going to have a really hard time not having high BMI.

people talking about how BMI has changed over human history are not taking into account that (a) genetics can change very quickly (b) environmental factors are heritable through epigenetics, and this may play a part. certainly the change in human diet in modern westernized countries is a big factor, but it's pretty obvious the causation is not as simple as "eat bad food --> become fat."

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

spud posted:

Apologies if it has already been posted.

but it says low fat

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nomadologique posted:

some ppl in here are really not understanding this paper.

what it says is that people with high BMIs will probably have high BMI biological children. there is no reason given for that. that people with high BMIs don't produce high BMI adopted children at the same rate indicates that the issue is NOT THE DIET THAT THE PARENTS ARE FEEDING THE CHILDREN.

the reason is not "genetic disorder." it's bound to be some ridiculously complex issues concerning metabolism of various kinds of food chemicals, hormone production, fat and muscle generation, blah blah blah. this doesn't mean you are doomed to have high BMI, but it probably means you're going to have a really hard time not having high BMI.

people talking about how BMI has changed over human history are not taking into account that (a) genetics can change very quickly (b) environmental factors are heritable through epigenetics, and this may play a part. certainly the change in human diet in modern westernized countries is a big factor, but it's pretty obvious the causation is not as simple as "eat bad food --> become fat."

Fatty spotted

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

nomadologique posted:

anybody who was doubting this kind of conclusion has never seen a fat family i guess?

It's important to understand the limitations of empirical studies. It's the same reductionism used to say that poor people are genetically inclined to commit crimes.

nomadologique posted:

certainly the change in human diet in modern westernized countries is a big factor, but it's pretty obvious the causation is not as simple as "eat bad food --> become fat."

On a wide enough scale, it is. When America exports our terrible food to other countries, they suffer the same way.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

just so you know, some of the folks who have lived to be 120 have smoked every day for 90 years and had little negative health impacts. now we know for a FACT that smoking as a "dietary" concern is a risk factor, plain and simple. but for some people it doesn't matter at all.

geriatric health and longevity are pretty much 100% genetic, we know this because people who live to be 120 have siblings who live to be 120, parents who live to be 120, kids who live to be 120.

it's quite plausible that something like body size would be similar, and nothing so simple as "have gene = fat."

there's a couple possibilities to explain why this phenomenon would appear only recently.

(1) the kind of caloric supply to get really obese didn't exist before
(2) modern westernized processed foods alter epigenetic profiles over generations, teaching some genetic lines a new form of metabolism
(3) post-scarcity conditions actually induce metabolic changes in certain individuals, as a heritable trait
(4) the work-production model that goes along with modern westernized diets (the fruits of capitalism) and its concomitant stress, social isolation, ego-obsession, blah blah blah, also induce nervous and metabolic changes that are heritable
(5) all this stuff and more!!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

just so you know, some of the folks who have lived to be 120 have smoked every day for 90 years and had little negative health impacts. now we know for a FACT that smoking as a "dietary" concern is a risk factor, plain and simple. but for some people it doesn't matter at all.

geriatric health and longevity are pretty much 100% genetic, we know this because people who live to be 120 have siblings who live to be 120, parents who live to be 120, kids who live to be 120.

it's quite plausible that something like body size would be similar, and nothing so simple as "have gene = fat."

there's a couple possibilities to explain why this phenomenon would appear only recently.

(1) the kind of caloric supply to get really obese didn't exist before
(2) modern westernized processed foods alter epigenetic profiles over generations, teaching some genetic lines a new form of metabolism
(3) post-scarcity conditions actually induce metabolic changes in certain individuals, as a heritable trait
(4) the work-production model that goes along with modern westernized diets (the fruits of capitalism) and its concomitant stress, social isolation, ego-obsession, blah blah blah, also induce nervous and metabolic changes that are heritable
(5) all this stuff and more!!

you should listen to this guy.
he know about being fat

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

It's important to understand the limitations of empirical studies. It's the same reductionism used to say that poor people are genetically inclined to commit crimes.

lol. nah. the fact that high BMI parents do not produce high BMI adopted children is pretty much open and shut. it is obvious that high BMI is heritable, the issue is that we know basically nothing about how or why. because we don't actually know what's going on, we only know that it's heritable.

if you want to say that "bad food caused fatties" "on a wide enough scale," you're basically making it so vague and truistic that it doesn't touch what's being discussed here. if you're arguing that modern westernized processed food is what caused genetically heritable metabolic alteration, okay, i mean, it's an okay hypothesis but we have little more to go on at this point than intuition, and it doesn't obviate the very clear fact that this is heritable.

show me a study where it says kids adopted from rich parents by poor parents are less likely to commit crimes than the poor parents' biological children.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I eat blocks of cheese everyday but my BMI is 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

spud posted:

I eat blocks of cheese everyday but my BMI is 20.

i have no idea what bmi means but i like your style

• Locked thread