Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
My parents have tons of obese relatives on both sides of their families. They are both physically fit, or in my mother's case, actually a little underweight.

Both me and my brother are giant obese sacks of poo poo and I'd say it's a combination of diet and sedentary lifestyle that are the main contributors to our obesity. However, even during times of my life where I've worked 40+ hours a week in physically demanding jobs, watched my diet and gone to the gym, I've never been not fat. I don't have any of the gland problems or whatever doctors test for because I got tested once, so I won't use that for an excuse.

In high school I had weightlifting class which was nothing but running and lifting weights, in addition to doing swimming and walking on my own time (small towns are great for exploring on foot), being involved in wrestling (read two hours of running and wrassling non-stop on a reduced diet) etc, and still being a pudgy gently caress.

Hell, when I was a kid I rode my bike, ran around and swam all the time and I was still a fat gently caress.

Soda, and later booze, are large avoidable sources of calories that I have been cut out before. It's just disheartening when I eat smaller portions of everything, lean meat, eggs, plenty of vegetables and some fruit for a few months without cheating while exercising multiple times a week and lose ten pounds at ~425.

I figure at this point I'm just retarded or something. Maybe it has to do with chronic depression and some of the meds I used to take? Those particular meds kept me from killing myself at the time, but I gained about 60 pounds in a year on them, which is how I got up to the 420s in the first place. I'm on different poo poo now, obviously. Maintained the same weight give or take ten pounds for about five-six years since.

I guess I'll just keep trying. :shrug:

E: Getting a CPAP stabilized my weight a lot, but I still have trouble sleeping because of depression or mania with BPD. So lack of regular sleep sure doesn't help.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

8 track betamax posted:

Can we get this post as the scrolling back ground of gbs ??

I support that. It will probably get you a full bingo card for Internet Manchildren.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Jesus, I would have trouble finishing one of those plates in a sitting most days.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's funny when fatties eat corn and peas for their veggies.

E: to be fair corn,peas, carrots, broccoli and green beans were the only vegetables that ever existed in any of my school lunches. Mostly corn and peas.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 29, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Obese people would be incredibly bad to eat. Like, the meat would suck real bad.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

The jist of it is kids eat a bunch of high calorie stuff, far more than they normally should, which stimulates adipogenesis (fat cells dividing) which then gives them a larger adipocyte population than they should have which fucks up all of their appetite signaling which leads to more eating and more adipogenesis. End result is an additional population of fat cells the kids can't get rid of that fucks up their appetite signaling for the rest of their lives.

That sounds roughly right for me, I guess, maybe? My diet was pretty lovely when I was young and my mom kept candy and soda in the house at all times, kind of a holdover from poo poo her mom did. At some point she started cooking and shopping healthy, but I was probably 14 by then. I'll ask the doc about it next time I'm in, for shits and giggles. Doesn't really change anything for me right now, though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, fat shaming never did anything but exacerbate my depression and self-loathing. I already wanted to not be fat, so it wasn't any kind of extra motivation. It actually had the opposite effect of making me not want to try or put in the effort. I'm glad I don't hate myself any longer.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I used to walk 3ish miles to work at a hotel and probably 2 1/2 to get to a fast food job, both five days a week. I was a crazy alcoholic then though, so the health benefits were kind of a wash.

Walking is nice.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

jackyl posted:

wonder how many calories are dumped in a massive beer poo poo

It depends on how much of your stool is dark reddish-black, really.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Fat people have no Will. That's okay, because all life is struggle and competition and they've basically taken themselves out of the game.

I actually do have a Will. He's a pretty nice guy. We hang out a lot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Don't you have to hate yourself at least on some level to be fat and ok with it???

I guess it depends on what you mean by "ok with it." I've come to a point with the last couple years where I stopped hating myself (about everything, not just weight) and am actually learning to like myself. I'm ok with being fat because that's where I currently am physically, and that's not going to change this very second. I don't hate me or blame others or anything. I understand fully that my obesity severely impacts my quality of life and health on a daily, observable basis.

I'm working to change my obesity. I'm working with a personal trainer/dietician and getting my poo poo together. I've regained tons of mobility and coordination over the last three months which feel fantastic. I didn't do poo poo and ate like crap for the last two weeks because a lifelong friend of mine died and I was a bit bummed. Now I'm back to the gym and prepping meals and poo poo.

I'm a pessimist at heart, so I expect minimal results, but I'm not in a hurry. Getting sober taught me that long, frustrating poo poo that you keep loving up all the time and losing traction on can still turn out fine in the end if you keep trying. So, yeah, I'm ok with being comically obese, currently.

I'll fight a Fat is Beautiful/Health at Any Size motherfucker, though. Good money they'll drop to the ground bloody and wheezing before I collapse into a quivering puddle of exhausted lipids. Bitch, your heart is screaming for help! You aren't healthy!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Lichy posted:

habitually working towards solving a problem does tend to result in moving closer to the solution, yes

That lesson is difficult to grasp when you have no sense of self-worth.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

When i see a fat at the gym I know e has probably more willpower than me just coming here but I'd rather not get too close

That's wise. We startle easily and have surprising strength due to our massive bulk. Regardless of our reaction to human contact being fight or flight, injury is a real possibility.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

The genetics argument:

Meeting a hot chick at a bar while you're wasted, and in a panic to explain your behavior telling her that you're not drunk, in fact you don't even drink, you were just born retarded!

I can confirm this works. Pity sex is wild mild!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Putting on pants never feels good, as they are a tool of the oppressive patriarchs.

Eating is a necessity to continue existing, something your body compels you to do on a daily basis, often provides a great deal of pleasure and stress release and is also a social activity most people are expected to participate in on a regular basis.

Sit-down restaurants often give you enough food for two or three meals on one plate, with appetizers, alcohol or sugary drinks, salads that could be meals themselves and giant desserts as frequent accompaniment. This happens while you hang out and have a great time chatting with your friends or family, hopefully, further reinforcing the positive feelings associated with eating.

Fast food or frozen meals and other low/no prep food, while often extremely calorie dense, is easy and quick to chew and swallow, unlike a plate half full of veggies or solid meats etc. This is important, because it takes 15 minutes or so before your stomach tells your brain that you are satiated. That's why you have seconds at Thanksgiving and then regret it 20 minutes later. So even if you're eating alone and making your own food, you can still overeat without meaning to unless you consciously burn time while you eat if you don't have the habits and portion sizes down.

Then there's even simpler stuff like the difference between a single slice of white or "wheat" (molasses!) "bread" having 150+ calories and no real fiber, while another bread may be 50 calories and a fuckton of fiber per slice. The lovely one is cheaper, melts in your mouth like the fluff it is and is sweet, all things which are attractive to your brain for various reasons. Both breads are in the same aisle in the store and you're lucky if the good choices share the same prime shelf real-estate as the bad ones and you have to examine the nutrition labels to even know what the gently caress you're looking at.

I don't really understand people that find it hard to grasp the idea that a lot of people have difficulty monitoring their food intake. People have lovely situational awareness at the best of times, so vigilance isn't a natural or easy thing. Unless you've had the right habits instilled into you early, you're trying to establish habits later in life while everything else (including your own body/brain) is doing its level best to erode or dissuade those habits.

TL;DR
Fat people are lazy

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Rakosi posted:

If ISIS held your family hostage and threatened to burn them alive if you didn't shed some of your massive infidel bulk I'm pretty sure all of a sudden your hypothyroid would stop being a factor lol

What is this, some sort of intifatda?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Okay because it seems goons are dumb about this and want to quote thermodynamics without understanding it I'll start with some Socratic questioning.

What determines net caloric change per day?

I believe it was Crassus of Lipidelphi who reasoned that mischievous house-gods were to blame for corpulence. They snuck small pieces of the flesh of the hydra into the stews of the afflicted. The constant digestion of this ever-renewing flesh both over-nourished the victim and caused an imbalance of humours, accounting for their severe lassitude.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Lol at 100% restriction diets. Haha no, you're not going to sell a plan to people that involves "never do this thing again ever." That will have the same success rate as alcoholics getting permanently sober regardless of method; low.

Jesus, have a piece of cake once a month if you like cake. Don't pair it with two scoops of ice cream and don't have a giant piece that's actually three pieces if not more and we all know it, Susan.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

runupon cracker posted:

Same here. The best part of that chart is that potatoes are part of "all you can eat", despite the near-constant demonization potatoes get.

Sweet potatoes baller as gently caress.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Fat people are gross. Source: a fat guy

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

504 posted:

*Except salad.

Some leafy greens with a variety of garden vegetables chucked in is good eats. I don't even use much dressing or other toppings, unless the salad is going to be the whole meal. Then you throw on some chicken or steak and some feta or something. Maybe a small portion of raisins if you just got done exercising or must have something sweet.

I will gently caress a plate of broccoli right up. Give me that poo poo raw or plain steamed.

My big problem is eating good stuff isn't a habit for me and I often fall back in to drinking tons of empty calories with energy drinks/soda. I just need to switch back to coffee and tea. I like my poo poo without cream and sugar because I'm a weirdo I guess.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

We're already doing a pretty good job of offing ourselves, to be honest.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

There's that Icelandic dude who got shipwrecked and was the only survivor, even after spending hours in freezing water and then crawling over lava rocks in wet clothes in the wind and poo poo. His buddies died in minutes. Turns out he had a rare gene that made him produce a lot of brown fat. Is that the baby fat? Anyway, his fat was mega good at insulating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Olympic obese-class high-dive belly-flop, competing for largest splash, loudest noise and reddest skin, would absolve the IOC of its sins.

E: I guess you could do both faceplant and backplant. They'd be one continuous bruise for a week.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 4, 2016

• Locked thread