Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
correlation does not equal causation OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Zo posted:

I know it's preferable to live in a world of simple rules like "sugar = bad", but we don't.

It's basically impossible to eat enough fruit that the sugar content exceeds healthy levels. In general they have lots of water and fiber and you'll feel full way before overeating. Then during digestion, the sugars take a lot of time to break down unlike corn syrup which just explodes into your liver. If everyone switched to a diet of 100% fruit (not even including veggies!), obesity would basically disappear. I think a few high sugar density exceptions exist though.

For example:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?referer=

this is true but the logistics involved in supplying enough fruit to feed, say, the entire American population would absolutely wreck the ecosystem

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm not fat expert but couldn't that be the same sit for modern foods that are literally designed to be addictive? Like there are food scientists who are paid bank to come up with ways to trick people to eat more, it seems pretty fair to guess that some people are more susceptible to those tricks than others.

The easiest way to diet is basically to avoid all processed foods but considering the trends it's pretty obvious that's something that's harder to do than it should be. Sure you can just write it off as a willpower problem among the entire world but I feel like the more pragmatic approach would be to engage the new stuff that's caused these obesity trends.

actually i posit that you actually are fat and probably an expert in something

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Waroduce posted:

Fat is beautiful

this is what sjw's actually think

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

8 track betamax posted:

Being full and fat and getting lounge around in comfortable air-conditioned homes with ever need instantly met is the next stage of human evolution and it rocks.....so yeah it make sense that empty headed gbs goons pine for a return to walking everywhere and suffering like an animal

some suffering makes you a better person betamax

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
habitually working towards solving a problem does tend to result in moving closer to the solution, yes

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

KVeezy3 posted:

The problem is that people don't have the knowledge/tools to correctly engage the situation, leading ultimately to failure. How many people do you see on the treadmill month after month, year after year, looking exactly the same or worse? The individual is essentially fighting against billions of dollars by invested corporations who understand your body's chemistry better than you do.

In the same way an alcohol will feel better after taking a shot of alcohol, a person with type 2 diabetes feels better after a shot of insulin.

There's a real physical embodiment of pain. Addiction to garbage in food is comparable to heroin and cocaine. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/sugar-season-its-everywhere-and-addictive.html

The funny thing is that feelings of hunger & periods of fasting are actually quite good for you, and it's what our bodies are designed to do, but this is still quite a taboo discussion that our corporate overlords would not want us having. A man essentially did 382 days of fasting. http://pmj.bmj.com/content/49/569/203.abstract

corporations don't necessarily understand your body at all

most big food corps nowadays got that way by stumbling onto a good recipe by accident and it just happened that people bought their poo poo and so they got big, e.g. Ben&Jerries

it's entirely logical that a person would eat food when it is available to him IMO

this is why governments must employ experts who understand the human body to regulate the behaviour of producers and consumers. and they do with some success

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

runupon cracker posted:

I don't know, which is why I'm always puzzled when people say how easy it is

it's easy if you try different approaches and hit the one that works for you

the part where you try things at first and it doesn't work is always the hardest part in developing any habit, dieting included

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

runupon cracker posted:

Well, I was serious about the discipline thing. Discipline is a powerful tool, and it can be built up over time. Willpower is easier to maintain in the short term if you know there's light at the end of the tunnel, so knowing you can build up discipline for the long haul can help people.

It worked for me, anyway.

the word you're actually looking for is habit, not discipline

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Rutibex posted:

listen up fatties, there is a time and place for figuring environmental factors. that time is when you are a government scientist that is advising public policy.

the time to think of environmental factors is NOT when you are dealing with your own personal problems. focus only on things you have the power to change dummies (unless you enjoy sapping you own motivation I guess :shrug:)

i have the habit to protest against this fatphobic society(out of my mobility scooter paid for by the taxpayer :btroll:)

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

waitwhatno posted:

We are not talking about getting in shape and running a marathon here, this is about obesity. Quitting obesity is very, very easy.

Step 1: Next time you are buying soda, buy sugar free. They are right next to each other at supermarket.

Step 2: No step two

It's literally impossible to become a lard whale without a constant influx of carbonated sugar water into your body.

it's not easy if you haven't worked a day in your life without outside supervision

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

waitwhatno posted:

Honest confession that will probably get me banned: I like Coke zero better than normal sugar Coke.

Over here in free Europe we are still allowed to add aspartame to our soft drinks and it tastes so loving good. I don't even care about the cancer, it tastes so awesome.

US goons are really missing out on life. First no walking and now also no aspartame. Hell on earth.

Coke Zero for lyfe

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

KVeezy3 posted:

The internet is a cesspool unless you have good sources or have a solid baseline of knowledge to detect bullshit.

We're talking about billion dollar corporations, and you think the food they make is all accidental?

forty years is not a lot of time in biological science and thus yes, most big corporations right now did not get there through knowing how bodies work super well

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
also lol if you think food scientists at Monell withhold their research from publication because evil Big Food bribes them into it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

runupon cracker posted:

sooooo an industry that's spent 40 years and millions of dollars in food engineering know very little about the body and made the population literally balloon into comedic levels of obesity totally by accident, but some poor schlub at home with $3 in his bank account and a GED can master weight loss "easily"

the mental gymnastics are breathtaking

sorry about your conspiracy theory

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the dinner plate industry is conspiring to make people obese IMO

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086...xt_tab_contents

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
"The mental gymnastics is breathtaking" is the new "You have hurt the feeling of the X people"

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Zzulu posted:

Maybe it's different in America but here in my country we can choose to purchase other food than the absolute worst food for you. We can even buy healthy food AND we have the choice to limit how much of it we cook and eat :prepop:

Am I correct in understanding that there are people forcing you to buy, cook and eat large quantities of bad food in America?

the PhDs fighting for grant funding from food corps do it in their spare time as its a requirement to get said funding, along with not publishing what you spend years doing

the other popular hobby of these food science PhDs is career suicide

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

The Wizard of Poz posted:

yeah i see what youre saying its not like this forum has literally always been about basically making fun of absolutely anything at all. yeh its just fat ppl. gotcha.

actually everything i just said was lying!!!!!

good humour makes people uncomfortable as well as entertained so its not allowed in 21st century progressive society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Frosted Flake posted:

I've seen athletes do it for short bursts to make weight. It seems like it's about mental endurance more than anything.

well I guess we just discovered a fattie superman in this thread then

• Locked thread