Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
life can be hard and addiction of every kind is very real and hard to break,
my only issue with the whole 'fat is genetic' thing is the blatant lying that goes on into the main fat argument, and that is that almost all fat people will eventually use the phrase "i tried every possible diet and work out to lose weight"

then you ask them like some 4th grade question about macro nutrition and they go I DONT KNOW HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN A GRAM OF FAT IM NOT A SCIENTIST!!!

what the mean, cruel internet wants is fat honesty. just admit you haven't tried anything close to everything and you're less likely to be made fun of in gbs for lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AEMINAL posted:

heres how i stay not-fat:

step on bathroom scale every morning, if my weight is over x, i eat less

even that scale itself is part of the patriarchy

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sonofsilversign posted:

its crazy healthcare infrastructure is gonna have to completely restructured to deal with them. they have to make excuses at crematoriums as to why family cant watch cause they dont wannna tell them they have to dismember fatties to fit in the ovens lmao

i viewed new zealand as an active and mostly independent little shire farm country that seems less depressed than australia and way less full of rage

i'm not doubting your posts entirely, but this one seems a little extreme. in new zealand: people ask to watch their loved ones be put into the ash oven so they can see how the alive to urn process works? what?

that part is much less easy to believe than new zealand having an obesity epidemic, i'm sure in 20 years all the remaining 'first world' countries who eat similar food that is popular in the U.S. will all be loving diabetic at 30

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Breakfast All Day posted:

was curious, this is actually less depressing than expected

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/age/fig2.htm

so about ~55, and no clear trend that it's getting younger. i have no loving idea how, given obesity trends. that doesnt seem so ba

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/incidence/fig3.htm

...oh. although looks like another global financial crisis would be in the interest of public health

it seems like it is very very easy to render yourself useless and unattractive, without any future at a young age, but pretty hard to actually destroy a body that young

still they guarantee ending up in the other graph

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sonofsilversign posted:

i dunno how common it is in general or if its a cultural thing but yeah crematoriums here have viewing windows for the "final committal" of the body. its as classy as it can be i guess they dont just slide the corpse into an oven on a pizza peel.

nz has a 1/3 obesity rate so more or less equivalent to america i think? though we have alot of pacific islanders who legitimately do tend to be genetically fat so id generally give them a pass

i appreciate you for educating us on new zealand

its getting sad how few fat american jokes any of you idiots can ever tell anymore, aren't there like a half dozen countries catching up the the usa now

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
lets turn the thread slightly: is the global obesity epidemic one of the least talked about massive, unforgivable issues with globalism?

will america still claim to be the best run country in the world after every country that we even drop off crates of free food to has it's average lifespan drop 10 years?

how long can this go entirely ignored/ exploited by the media until the entire planet wakes up and says 'shoot the ceo of kraft and pepsico'

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

There's no reason why the other extreme is impossible to comprehend. Hard gainers versus hard losers.

It's like 1% of people who lose significant weight keep it off

Otoh, I practically cannot gain weight. Like the guy who said he did the dairy diet (i assume GOMAD) and barely changed

There's no reason for high metabolic or whatever people who never had to earn their thinness should be unwilling to believe the other extreme

this is partially true but as other poster pointed out a few pages ago: how did the homo sapien max out at like 200 pounds as the tubbiest person in town for the last 100,000 years of the species and then in the last 100 years there's like fat circus ladies, then in the last 20 years 1 in 10 people is a fat circus person

it doesn't add up, the human diet and lifestyle have been ruined and no amount of genetic disorders can change the factual, empirical decline of society

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zorodius posted:

times used to be, a fat person was someone who couldn't outrun a bear

some goon posted a story about a turkish? warlord who went insane banging 50 women at a time, unsatisfied by life, and demanded the fattest woman on earth be brought to him

she was like 150 kilos and this was only a few hundred years ago lol

the year 900 must have had like a usain bolt and a mickey mantle in every single town on earth

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

nomadologique posted:

i don't disagree that "obesity is a disease of capitalism," (that's pretty obvious from the evidence as well, considering that obesity only appeared/appears in the context of modern western society) but you could try harder to know what you're actually saying instead of being an ideological dweeb.

you admitted that we nailed a fair half sentence summary of the majority of the problem, scolded us for it, then in your BETTER MORE IN DEPTH summary you left out enzymes and gut bacteria and some guy who isn't as scientist as you posted it two seconds later

just admit hating capitalism hits 90 percent of the problem, for the other 10 percent i will concede genetics/diseases/ur 2 unique 4 science 2 understand sums it all up

edit

also even most enzyme problems are related to being wiped out by antibiotics, an over-used quick fix of america's broken drug business

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, fat shaming never did anything but exacerbate my depression and self-loathing. I already wanted to not be fat, so it wasn't any kind of extra motivation. It actually had the opposite effect of making me not want to try or put in the effort. I'm glad I don't hate myself any longer.

gbs will pick up where you left off

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Poetic Justice posted:

In spite of what many in denial food addicts would have you believe, shame can be a powerful motivator.

i was always underweight growing up but yeah i can't possibly imagine i would've joined my first gym at 18 if the absolute only benefits were for health and strength

if you took out all vain and selfish goals, ivan drago, frank zane, gettin' my first blowjob and going 'how do i ensure i never run out of those', i really can't picture working out as heavily as i did, or caring about diet beyond the minimum to avoid death or discomfort

it might be the finest line ever though when trying to measure 'how mean should the world be to people to make them help themselves rather than kill themselves'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

8 track betamax posted:

Actually the sugar in fruit makes it so your body switches to "store up fat" metabolism because it thinks it's harvest time and winter is comeing. Eat mega nuts and meats instead and grow huge muscles by doing dead lifts and then get back to me when you have the body of a sahel tribesmen and we can discuss your faggy fruit diet

i have the body of water poured into a balloon but i find that by sometimes yelling LIGHT WEIGHT! AINT NOTHIN BUT A PEANUT! the bodybuilding community embraces me and sees me as one of their own

tihs is another strategy you failed to mention

• Locked thread