Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's a good show which can be silly at times, but has moments of pulpy brilliance. Eichorst is one of the best villains on tv, and Setrakian is awesome.

I'd rate it around the quality of Wayward Pines, so if you like that you'll like this. If you hate that, you'll probably hate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I thought that was a really solid episode to start the season with. I love how Our Heroes are now actually believed by the authorities, Fet's directing surprisingly effective fire teams (well till they ran up against Eichorst), Eph is getting resources to work on his bio poo poo, and Setrakian is chillaxing in luxury studying The Lumen.

I mean, it'll all go to poo poo, sure but for now it's cool seeing them not being totally poo poo on.

Also :laugh: "23 days"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blackchamber posted:

Eph doesn't see any real value in the book, aside from the fact the master wants it, because he thinks there is a scientific solution to defeating the master and the vampires so its not really asking for much from his point of view. His scientific knowledge created a somewhat effective weapon against them, and as he pointed out the lumen's info is kind of crap because the sun didn't kill the master and they dont have time to wait for the next eclipse to try again the way it prescribes. 'The file' is just a bunch of superstitious garbage, and even in the books despite the supernatural origins of the vampires the answer was ultimately a scientific one that didnt exist when the lumen was written.

That's why Eph keeps grilling Setrakian about the book, trying to convince himself that the book is bullshit.

One thing I liked about the last couple of episodes is that everyone, the military guys, scientists, etc are calling them "Strigoi." Kinda vindicates Setrakian. :3:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:lol: at "...and not your Nazi Butler!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

So the Master worm is going to inhabit Zack now right?

Poor Eichorst, always a bridesmaid, never a host for The Master. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

This is kinda my problem right now: I feel like nothing has happened. There are some pacing problems with the source material but I really feel like we're back at the ending of S1. I guess the Quest for the Lumen counts as S2 but we haven't really seen anything from the Lumen yet to make it cool beyond a McMuffin. I feel like they could do some cool manuscript stuff (the design on the show remains pretty awesome) or some super cheesy magic (because why not embrace the stupid cheese?).

As it stands now, there is just a lot of padding. It's almost like the writers have no idea where to go. Which is strange since they have source material to work with.

Well it's only been 3 weeks. :v:

I think part of the problem is that they are unwilling to pull the trigger on the Vampire Apocalypse. I've only read to the end of book 2, but it's pretty jarring at the end and I hear tell things get really crazy in book 3.. It would basically be a whole new show, with dramatically different budgetary concerns.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

NmareBfly posted:

I like how Quinlan has been prepping for this for literally thousands of years but when the time comes his big ambush plan is 'walk over a hill and shoot with uzis.' :lol::lol:

To be fair, if he'd been handed an Uzi back in Roman times, he probably would have said "Holy poo poo, I could totally kill The Master with this!" :haw:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Love Crime posted:

What this show is really missing is an actor who doesn't know he's in an extremely lovely TV show.

I would watch the gently caress out of this show with commentary tracks of a Christian Bale type actor who tried to make sense of all this bullshit.

Well in a similar sense, I notice that Eph this season is like in his own show, walking in and out of this other show bemusedly, pointedly not participating in everyone's stories. They drag him in somewhere, he bitches, then leaves and doesn't give a poo poo. Like they drag him down to help the blonde lady and he scans her, she's clean and says "I'm having a moment of clarity!"

Eph: "Good." (leaves)

Anyone else might have said "that's great, let's do something, let's get the vampires!" but Eph's like "yeah, whatevs gently caress it I'm going back to the Eph Show" :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

etalian posted:

Richard Sammel owns.

Also the parody tie ads like Eichorst AirBnB are better than the actual show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg1SUSMHfcY

Holy poo poo.

How did I miss this one?!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

I'm surprisingly actually kinda sad to hear this. You would have expected this to be another Under The Dome from the first season but it's actually getting progressively less poo poo with each season. :shobon:

Same. I'd be on this ride for a few more years. :(

Shbobdb posted:

A period show about hunting Nazi vampires in the 70s has a lot of potential.

I've said it before, but the guy who plays Young Setrakian nails it. Uncanny.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I thought the most notable thing about the episode was Setrakian actually showing some human compassion towards one of his comrades in arms instead of the monomanical focus on THE LUMEN he's been showing all season. Usually he's been very "NO TIME FOR CARING, GOTTA READ THIS BOOK!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MariusLecter posted:

Holocaust survivor guilt is the only way to get Setrakian to open up.

I know you're probably just joking, but truly I was surprised when he asked Fet about when the last time it was that he saw his parents and didn't flip out that they were taking a detour there in the first place.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

Or the crate does have the lost Ancient in it, but Quinlan is wrong and the Master just wants to steal the body.

I don't think the body would do him any good; it would be a dessicated husk, in even worse shape than the New World Ancients or The Master's body before he possessed the giant noble.

I think he just wants to hook up his worm friend with a new body and they can go rampaging all over America together.

I'm also a bit disappointed we didn't get to hear what Setrakian and Quinlan's plan was with the Ancients for them to fight back. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's too bad the councilwoman died, I liked her. Every time you though she was gonna become a total rear end in a top hat, she'd swerve and show she really did mean well, wanted to do the right thing, and was a stand up person doing the best she can. She did a lot to legitimize Eph and Fet and their work too.

Though of course, if they had just chilled in their impregnable vehicle for a few hours til sunup, they could have walked across the bridge with impunity.

:sigh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That was a great season finale. We got to see them thisfuckingclose to actually winning. They executed their plan perfectly.They couldn't have anticipated the nuke. And I'm gonna miss Palmer chewing scenery. I'm sure he still will as The Master, but it won't be the same. At least we still have Eichorst though. If they killed him, I'd riot.

I liked the first two seasons of this show a lot, but I think this past season was even better. I can't wait to see where they hell they go next season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shitenshi posted:

When Eph activated his signal jammer and stunned Master Palmer, they should have just shoved his old undead rear end into the fireplace that was kept in the office or just beat his brains into the floor. No bullshit with your shiny metal coffin. He would have been dead for good, the vampires would have gone rabid even including Eichhorst and Kelly, and I can't decide if it would have been cooler for Zach to have been fed upon by his mother or his little "pet."

The "worm" that is the true essence of The Master would have just gotten away again, like when Quinlan chopped his head off in the park. Trapping him in the coffin is the only way to be sure.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

To be fair, this is somewhat close to the books. The kid goes over to The Master's side as well, and that's a major focus of book 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They're actually pretty good. An alternative take on the plot in some ways, but you can see from the casting that Del Toro picked people who would bring the characters to life--you can easily see Fet, Eph, Setrakian, etc in your minds eye as you read.

Only downside: no Eichorst, as he was invented for the show. Well he's there but not in nearly as big a part.

• Locked thread