Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Sitting down in a easy chair with a good novel while i wait for the Vitterli projectile to meet it’s target

Insufficient fighting spirit. Go charge them with your bayonet so that they're properly softened up for the bullet's arrival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Sitting down in a easy chair with a good novel while i wait for the Vitterli projectile to meet it’s target

You need to run over and plant a sniper shield in front of the enemy so they'll be lulled into proning for an easy takedown.

I wish I could use the martini as a club because it'd be a lot better than using it to fire bullets.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Okay I'd like to take back my chautchaut/so-so pun. The thing's a low RPM but highly accurate/damaging bullet hose in my hands and I'm actually fairly solid with it. I stand a half-decent chance of surviving fights at panic-hipfire range and I even won a couple of long range duels with (admittedly stupid) scouts once I put the AA sight and got used to it. Was well worth making myself miserable with the flaming turd that is the Lewis Suppressive.

I also got the LMG with dual mags but that one doesn't seem to click as well for me, though it is nice to have a bayonet as Support. Does the alt-fire mag with incendiary ammo have any effect besides punishing airplanes? Also I find it hilarious that DICE will find a weird/cool weapon and give a copy to every player even though only one prototype/copy of that gun was ever made.

CornHolio posted:

I definitely miss that. It was always Soissons, too. I had one go for three and a half hours. I don't even remember if we won.

edit for content: The Tankgewehr is great as a sniper rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VYAk1BUcUs

Good on you for making that Bomber's life miserable. That first shot where you plugged his engine was a magnificent one. I feel you became a little too target fixated on it near the end to notice the soldiers running up to you but I don't blame you for trying to end a bomber.

(note I may have an anti-plane bias/PTSD ranging all the way back to BF2)

Also the way console controls make players look around is kinda weird and janky to the PC play/camera I'm used to.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 29, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Alkydere posted:

Good on you for making that Bomber's life miserable. That first shot where you plugged his engine was a magnificent one. I feel you became a little too target fixated on it near the end to notice the soldiers running up to you but I don't blame you for trying to end a bomber.

I think I saw them, I just really wanted to shoot one down. I loving hate those Muromets.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alkydere posted:

I also got the LMG with dual mags but that one doesn't seem to click as well for me, though it is nice to have a bayonet as Support. Does the alt-fire mag with incendiary ammo have any effect besides punishing airplanes? Also I find it hilarious that DICE will find a weird/cool weapon and give a copy to every player even though only one prototype/copy of that gun was ever made.

That’s pretty much their only use, yeah. It might damage the zeppelin (but not its parts) too? It’s not even that punishing if no one else is shooting at the plane but it is funny at least.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah in general I’m fine with planes and jets in Battlefield games (I even fly them sometimes!) but the Ilya Muromets is such a vile piece of poo poo that I will happily eat any manner of death if it means I took one of those fuckers down with me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am glad and hoping we just have early and mid war light bombers with the next game because of that thing.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I got 10 service stars with the murmots in the two months or so that it was blatantly OP

Carpet bombing the D flag on Galicia just got silly

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sure clueless admin of Bratwurst Helden server those two clan guys who've locked down that point right next to the team spawn with barely 3 deaths and over +30 kills each while more or less fighting off the entire team one of which I shot directly in the face aren't hacking.

So yeah EU goons, avoid that server.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sure clueless admin of Bratwurst Helden server those two clan guys who've locked down that point right next to the team spawn with barely 3 deaths and over +30 kills each while more or less fighting off the entire team one of which I shot directly in the face aren't hacking.

So yeah EU goons, avoid that server.

Hack keeps you from dying if you're shot in the face?

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Skyscraper posted:

Hack keeps you from dying if you're shot in the face?

I have played against a cheat in BF1 who could restore their health to full instantly with a button press. This was probably over 1 year ago and I only saw it once.

In the end I killed them because they seemed to have trouble fighting back whilst hammering the health boost key.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Riflen posted:

I have played against a cheat in BF1 who could restore their health to full instantly with a button press. This was probably over 1 year ago and I only saw it once.

In the end I killed them because they seemed to have trouble fighting back whilst hammering the health boost key.

Seems like that shouldn't work without help from the server.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
DICE doesn’t seem to give a single poo poo about BF1 right now, tbh. There’s a dude that’s been blatantly cheating on US servers for like a couple of months now, reported with video proof by a bunch of prominent players, with zero consequence.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Skyscraper posted:

Seems like that shouldn't work without help from the server.

Nah. There are tons of cheats like that. Until very recently the BF1 client was completely trusted by the server. In fact it's still trusted.

If you think everything that the client sends is checked for sanity, then I have some bad news for you.
They had to implement measures such as encrypting player location data on-the-fly to try and prevent ESP style cheats. This is partly why the game suddenly got very hard on the CPU half way through its lifetime.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I really am sad how they've just given up on fighting cheating and balance issues with BF1. It sucks getting games effected by both as it sap's peoples interest in the game long term.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

SeanBeansShako posted:

I really am sad how they've just given up on fighting cheating and balance issues with BF1. It sucks getting games effected by both as it sap's peoples interest in the game long term.

Eh I mean as annoying as it is in the here and now, I can’t exactly blame them for giving up on a game that will be dead in a couple weeks.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Riflen posted:

Nah. There are tons of cheats like that. Until very recently the BF1 client was completely trusted by the server. In fact it's still trusted.

If you think everything that the client sends is checked for sanity, then I have some bad news for you.
They had to implement measures such as encrypting player location data on-the-fly to try and prevent ESP style cheats. This is partly why the game suddenly got very hard on the CPU half way through its lifetime.

That's bizarre. I can see why it trusts some things that would slow it down to verify, but simple numbers like player health and ammunition count should not be able to be communicated to the server. When the server tells you you're hit, it should remove your health from its internal count instead of asking you what your new health is. This is not even hard to do.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Skyscraper posted:

That's bizarre. I can see why it trusts some things that would slow it down to verify, but simple numbers like player health and ammunition count should not be able to be communicated to the server. When the server tells you you're hit, it should remove your health from its internal count instead of asking you what your new health is. This is not even hard to do.

I'm sure it's just that simple

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm sure it's just that simple

got 'em

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGbE-XrUdTw

Fucker thought he could hide behind his horses

Not today, you horsefucker. Not today.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

CornHolio posted:

thats the good stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

After getting my service star with it my god why is the Pieper even with Support. It's clearly something that should have been given to the medic.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

CornHolio posted:

Poor old buttercup, thought of limpet and died

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah turns out my problem with shotguns was that I wasn’t using the slug versions.

Oh god this so much. I took the 10-A slug out for a spin tonight and just started writing sternly written notes in 12-gauge font like it was going out of style. Headshotting a parachuting pilot in midair felt so good.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Is it me or are more and more games devolving into one-sided stomps? One team gets all high level players and sky spergs, while the other gets low level snipers and a useless behemoth when losing. I swear you could think dice is poo poo at balancing on purpose [/rant over]

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 6, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
AT grenade not enough to take out an enemy bike? Stick your lance in the fucker's spokes!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SandyKindlyAsianlion-mobile.mp4

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serious question, has anyone ever actually killed a tank with mines post that nerf that meant they couldn’t be too close together? It’s not like the SMG 08 needs an optical sight anyways so I’m looking at that and going “Not even going to bother”

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Kibayasu posted:

Serious question, has anyone ever actually killed a tank with mines post that nerf that meant they couldn’t be too close together? It’s not like the SMG 08 needs an optical sight anyways so I’m looking at that and going “Not even going to bother”

I don’t think I’ve ever even equipped land mines in this game.

Cuts into my limpet work too much.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah that's kind of a "not realistically happening" sort of thing I feel. I set out mines sometimes (especially when defending on the French/German operation that's ALL TANKS) and rarely get more than a disable. They'll blow a track off and hurt like hell but unless the vehicle's already near-dead it won't do the final blow. So once one track's blown off the tank driver's now looking out for any more mines in front of it, or if the tank's in that low of health it would be traveling backwards, not forwards.

Not mines can't be good for crippling the tank in front of a dozen AT rifle-rockets. Just not for the killing blow needed for that assignment.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got the mines one on Amiens operations on PS4 when you could pack them together. On PC not going to bother since I don't use assault as much and the SMG 08 is ridiculous enough.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They're harder to use but I still appreciate their damage potential and for getting surprise tank KOs. They're much harder to use for purposes of getting shotgun kills on tanks now, though.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Chikimiki posted:

Is it me or are more and more games devolving into one-sided stomps? One team gets all high level players and sky spergs, while the other gets low level snipers and a useless behemoth when losing. I swear you could think dice is poo poo at balancing on purpose [/rant over]

This happens because there are very few people remaining who've played from the game's release. Those that have played that long, are usually doing so with friends on VOIP and the balancer does not break up squads (mostly).
Combine this with totally poo poo pubbie population who are largely immobile and never actually take part in the game of Conquest and you have a huge stomp, round after round. Just two goons from our platoon are enough to carry a Conquest round today against this playerbase.

I've played this game more than most and this week the number of players with a rank over 90 ending a 20 minute round 7-9 with 1,500 points was huge. Another problem is DICE's stupid assignments. I asked one dickhead why he was trying to kill people with his rocket gun when the enemy tank was rolling around murdering his team, he said he was trying to get 50 headshots on Nivelle Nights.

If you want to witness true stupidity, just play Fao Fortress and watch pubbies run to the fort immediately and stay there while the opposition holds 5 flags and destroys them 1000-200.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

constantly.

Idk man just put them everywhere.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Riflen posted:

This happens because there are very few people remaining who've played from the game's release. Those that have played that long, are usually doing so with friends on VOIP and the balancer does not break up squads (mostly).
Combine this with totally poo poo pubbie population who are largely immobile and never actually take part in the game of Conquest and you have a huge stomp, round after round. Just two goons from our platoon are enough to carry a Conquest round today against this playerbase.

I've played this game more than most and this week the number of players with a rank over 90 ending a 20 minute round 7-9 with 1,500 points was huge. Another problem is DICE's stupid assignments. I asked one dickhead why he was trying to kill people with his rocket gun when the enemy tank was rolling around murdering his team, he said he was trying to get 50 headshots on Nivelle Nights.

If you want to witness true stupidity, just play Fao Fortress and watch pubbies run to the fort immediately and stay there while the opposition holds 5 flags and destroys them 1000-200.

And this is likely not gonna be fixed at any point because BF V is coming out in 2/7/13 days (depending on how much money you're paying EA) so there's gonna be even less people playing the game. Though there's a good chance most of them will be the oblivious/confused pubbie crew so that might even things out.

Seriously though it really does take only 1-2 to change the tide of the battle. Especially if they get the tank spawns. Someone with half a brain sitting near the point in any of the multi-crew vehicles is a massive force multiplier as he just sits there as a spawn point. Even if he's mainly just farming kills having that forward spawn is game-changing. On the Russia v Germany operation I actually talked one of the idiots camping/sniping with his assault truck into doing that the other day and it blew his mind how suddenly we were taking sectors.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
One shot mine kills are still possible, it requires making a hole to let a second mine detonate the first. It works like clockwork on fao D flag.

Chronojam posted:

They're much harder to use for purposes of getting shotgun kills on tanks now, though.

This is one reason why dice hates fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPZrBQ77ERM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPXRK1MAb8

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What Riflen said is basically what it's been happening since I play with goons from BC2. A few organized dudes with decent skills will stomp the other team because they will play the objective. In conquest that means more vehicles and better spawn points over the idiot team sitting on a hill or Fao's Fortress. Hell, in BF1 with just 4 goons I've seen a 1000-161 game and never, ever in over 1500 hours of BF3/4 I've played, seen that brutal stomps.

I loved Conquest Assault maps on BF4 ending in minutes with 10 goons rolling around and yet they lasted more than some normal CQ rounds in BF1.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah it's unbelievable how bad most people are at this game. Up until about a month ago I'd barely even touched the game on any platform and, more importantly, hadn't played an FPS on PC since like...probably the mid-90s. Naturally I get dunked on by people who've been playing PC FPSes for several years, but otherwise I can generally hold my own and it's extremely rare for me to be on the bottom half of the team (and my k/d is comfortably positive despite only playing infantry and PTFOing hard).

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

It's been a while since BF4, but I could swear that the mines are both more obvious and show up on the HUD more easily in this game, which makes it more likely for tank drivers to spot them. Maybe they'll include an option to dig IED holes for BFV, that'd help. But also the bouncing betty AP mines were really solid in the beta, so maybe the AT mines will be also.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Skyscraper posted:

It's been a while since BF4, but I could swear that the mines are both more obvious and show up on the HUD more easily in this game, which makes it more likely for tank drivers to spot them. Maybe they'll include an option to dig IED holes for BFV, that'd help. But also the bouncing betty AP mines were really solid in the beta, so maybe the AT mines will be also.

Mines show up on the minimap and HUD in BF1, they just have to be spotted by a teammate first. Its just that for the most part in BF1, mines are rare because an assault player is better off picking tank grenades and the anti-tank gun.

The distance nerf made them even rarer because they're so darn ineffective now.

Always had a lot of luck with mines on Amiens, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I tried BF1 for the first time a matter of weeks ago and got 1st place on my fifth game, with the lewis gun you start with that everyone says is bad, so can confirm there’s a lotta bads