Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I have never been sprayed by a skunk. My dad rescued an orphaned baby skunk when he was a youth, if that's any good. He had it around as kind of a pet for a while before a rescue or whatever would take it, and I guess the rule was that it would kind of claw at the ground and then slowly turn around to point the spray, so everybody had enough warning that it wasn't an issue. The 70s sound like a weird time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
goddammitt i have some bad gas right now

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cowboy Pope posted:

I have never been sprayed by a skunk. My dad rescued an orphaned baby skunk when he was a youth, if that's any good. He had it around for a while before a rescue or whatever would take it, and I guess the rule was that it would kind of claw at the ground and then slowly turn around to point the spray, so everybody had enough warning that it wasn't an issue. The 70s sound like a weird time

vietnam, dog afternoons, wallcarpets

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Sufficient posted:

A good friend of mine rescued 2 baby skunks a few years ago that were abandoned by their mother (or it died), who didn't come back for them in the dead of winter. He was convinced into keeping them by his bleeding heart and super flamboyant husband, who doesn't even do the caretaking of them. In the 3 years he's had them, they've never sprayed. They're really nice after you get over the initial fear, but their hair isn't the softest thing in the world even though they're really clean animals and he takes really good care of them.

Because skunks are illegal to own in CT, they are kind of a pain in the rear end to take care of, and even his vet friend won't touch them with a 10 foot pole in order to protect his hide, let alone take out their scent gland. They're also kind of picky eaters in captivity apparently? But they're healthy, really friendly with people and their 4 Cheweenie (did I mention he's gay?), and kind of cute. He likes to freak people out by letting them roam free on the couches where they burrow their heads in between the cushions and people's legs. Someday someone is going to sit on one of those things when they're chilling in between couch cushions and stink up the whole house.

Skunks actually make really great pets. They're kinda like ferrets except don't smell as bad and harder to feed. Ferrets just naturally loving reek and can live perfectly fine on high quality cat food. Too bad they're illegal in most states.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
attica! attiCA! ATTICA!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Orkin Mang posted:

vietnam, dog afternoons, wallcarpets

I know some of those words but I think the old man wasn't old enough for the war so he fished and rescued animals and later worked in a 1970s exotic pet store and then spent quite a while doing way better drugs than I will ever have access to and following around terrible jam bands. Later he went into education and fly-tying. A cool life.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Cless Alvein posted:

Skunks actually make really great pets. They're kinda like ferrets except don't smell as bad and harder to feed. Ferrets just naturally loving reek and can live perfectly fine on high quality cat food. Too bad they're illegal in most states.

I had a friend with a ferret who he had raised by carrying around with him for the formative time, so they had a cool bond. That weasel was fully box trained so they just gave her the run of the house, and combined with frequent baths, that ferret was nearly loving odorless. She had a cage with toys in it and stuff that she'd hang out in, but it wasn't usually forced. If you can hit that sweet spot where they poop somewhere specific and don't spend all day stinking up a cage, and you give them baths, they're not that bad.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
Bathe in a mixture of tobacco ash and turpentine and I guarantee it will get rid of the skunk smell. It was a remedy handed down from my great grandpappy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flesh Forge posted:

deviantart ur the best :allears:

This is still bugging me. Why, WHY would a skunk superhero wear a diaper? Isn't that like Superman deciding to bling out his outfit with some kryptonite jewelry?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is still bugging me. Why, WHY would a skunk superhero wear a diaper? Isn't that like Superman deciding to bling out his outfit with some kryptonite jewelry?

Maybe they take the diaper off when they're ready to fire. I mean, you wouldn't carry around a handgun with the safety off and your finger on the trigger at all times, would you? You'd be a danger to yourself and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Note that more effort went into rendering the diaper than anything else

• Locked thread