Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

kickstarter is a thing where you are promised thousands of things, so you 'donate' thinking you will get them, then you learn you truly threw money in a dumpster

i havent done it again since, plz dont troll, mooooods!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

WilWheaton posted:

i chose the gep gun

I played DX for the first time after I had just beat Quake 2 on the hardest difficulty. I picked the GEP gun and had no regrets as I hosed up those two sentries on my way through murdering every single person between myself and my target

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
i mugged the people of my city and gave the cash to star citizen

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I accidentally opened a chest in like the first hour of Final Fantasy 12 because I didn't realize there was some horrendously complicated way to get the twinks ultimate weapon (by not opening 12 separate chests sprinkled throughout the entire game)

The mistake was replaying the entire game to get it because i was too lazy to have multiple save files, and then i realized that the game was stupid and the weapon sucked

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I bought William Shatner's Tek War. :negative:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I bought William Shatner's Tek War. :negative:

How was it?

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax
anyone want to play resident evil revelations 2 raid mode with me

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Me and almost every kid in my neighborhood all owned copies of Fester's Quest for some reason. I have no idea why, it's not like Uncle Fester was a hot commodity. Maybe we all got tricked by the Addams Family movie that came out in the 90s or though it would be like Legend of Zelda from the screenshots.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

sinking belle posted:

Whilst standing in line at the cafeteria, positioned a couple spots behind a female with whom I am loosely acquainted, I got a phone call from my mom, for whom I have the Final Fantasy V battle victory music as a customized notification sound. I'd seen aforementioned female post a Skyrim "meme" (actually an image macro...) on Facebook, so instead of answering the call, I walked ahead a bit, and asked her, if she knew which game (which Final Fantasy, specifically) my ringtone was from. I was amused by her inability to answer correctly, but, as the fates would have it, it later transpired that my mom had been calling to let me know I was disowned, which was somewhat of a fail.

were you disowned because you don't know how to interact with females?

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Tato posted:

Me and almost every kid in my neighborhood all owned copies of Fester's Quest for some reason. I have no idea why, it's not like Uncle Fester was a hot commodity. Maybe we all got tricked by the Addams Family movie that came out in the 90s or though it would be like Legend of Zelda from the screenshots.

this game was so loving hard

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Chomp8645 posted:

How was it?

The open world concept was pretty cool , but everything else about it sucked balls. Ten year old me couldn't figure out what to do so I just ran around shooting everyone.

Later on I rented Duke 3D from a weird little game shop that actually rented PC games. It made me the man I am today. :dukedog:

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Finally bought a PS4 two months for probably 100 dollars more than it will be two months from now.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

showed my girlfriend how to play overwatch

not only does she love it and hogs my laptop, she is also a terrible noob and I get frustrated watching her

"no you need to look down. the other down."

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Veshpo posted:

Finally bought a PS4 two months for probably 100 dollars more than it will be two months from now.

i wanna buy a ps4 soon for bloodborne, how much are they ghonna be in 2 months do you think

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnhxyUBcIVA

Played a demo of this at Toys R Us and decided that this was amazing and definitely what I wanted for Christmas

the Wario Land game was decent at least.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
drank too much and paid over 20$ for a bideo james

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

drank too much and paid over 20$ for a bideo james

that sounds like a pretty cheap bj actually

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oblivion is a bad game and they should find all the copies of it and bury them in an unmarked pit like they did with ET for the Atari.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oblivion is a bad game and they should find all the copies of it and bury them in an unmarked pit like they did with ET for the Atari.

Worst video game mistake I've seen thus.

Mine is probably buying Team Fortress 2 AND Overwatch on consoles.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Civilization: Beyond lovely day 1

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
7th guest can puzzle

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008
My brother and I purchased a copy each of Unreal 2 for the PC, because it said you could play coop. That was only for the xbox. Our local Best Buy did not take returns unless the item was defective. The game probably would still have sucked the same amount cooperatively.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Squidicus posted:

My brother and I purchased a copy each of Unreal 2 for the PC, because it said you could play coop. That was only for the xbox. Our local Best Buy did not take returns unless the item was defective. The game probably would still have sucked the same amount cooperatively.

unreal gave me car sickness

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
At the end of Dragon Warrior, I agreed to become the Dragon Lord's minion and rule the world by his side, not thinking it would be a game over scenario because why would the developers be that cruel?

Had to replay the entire last dungeon again, including the hassle of getting there in the first place. Pissed off my dad and brother pretty badly with that one. But thou must...

Additionally, in Bard's Tale II, in one of the dungeon snares, you had to choose one of three doors. Obviously two of them would kill your entire party or something equally horrendous, whereas choosing the correct one wins you the snare. Since my father and I had the old hint book (which was awesome because it was told in story format) we knew the right door to go through, so I asked dad if I could do it since I was young and enjoyed doing awesome video game things.

I accidentally chose the wrong door and dad kicked me out of the room.

In a similar vein, when beating the first Legend of Zelda, because I liked winning, I wanted to be the one holding the controller as we went into the next room to see Princess Zelda. Promptly walked straight into one of those stupid fires and died.

In short, I have always been awful at video games that aren't SRPGs or DOOM.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I pre ordered Dragon Age 2.
Now I don't pre order games anymore.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
was playing super mario 3D land and I was in one of those levels where you only get one chance at getting the coin and it's timed and I wasn't paying attention for like 15 seconds or something so I missed it and now I will never play the final level because you need all the coins to play it for some dumb design reason

gently caress you nintendo eat poo poo

those short one coin levels were dumb as poo poo too making it like 5x more aggravating

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I once forgot to put like three zeros in the price when I was placing a Traveller's mantle on the auction house. Someone got really lucky that day

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I chose find familiar on my sorcerer :downs:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
for a long time my biggest mistake ever was letting my cousin play my copy of pokemon blue when i was 10 and in about 2 minutes he started anew game and deleted my 100+ hour save file

and then i preordered bioshock infinite

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I bought fighting game Tao Feng for the OG Xbox on release date and it was hot garbage. This was back when you could return open product. I brought it back within hours and the girl at the counter laughed and told me I was like the third person to do so.

I bought State of Emergency based on the strength of GTA 3. Needless to say, that was my lesson on how you should only buy the stuff Rockstar produces, not the stuff they publish. (I would later repeat my mistake with LA Noire, a boring slog of a game.)

I paid full price for a launch Xbox One even though I had a PS4 because I figured there would be great exclusives. I don't think I've played it in over a year.

I preordered Homefront 2 because I really enjoyed the campaign in the first one. It ruined everything I liked about the first game's dumb campy feel in favor of a full straight-faced story reboot in a generic concrete open world. It ended up being a game so bad I couldn't find a taker on SA Mart and Amazon only gave me like six bucks for it. I took the six bucks.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I asked for a 32x for Christmas in 94 or whenever it came out and got one......

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

i equipped the boots of blinding speed

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a bad habit of buying old games for very cheap due to mostly nostalgia. Between physical and digital copies, I have purchased these games 3-7 times:

Fallout (All but 4 and Brotherhood), Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Tie Fighter, Worms Armageddon, most if not all of the You Don't Know Jack games, Anachranox, Postal 2, Day if The Tentacle, The Dig, Full Throttle, Chrono Trigger, Kirby Superstar, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Legend of Legaia, Deus Ex, Geometry Wars, EVERY loving ZELDA GAME, and probably a dozen more that I can't remember.

The probability of me playing any of these additional copies is fairly low and my habit is slowly dying off now that I can have them permanently between Steam and GoG.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i had my witcher save game on the wrong drive and i lost like 200 hours. All the DLC stories and all of the original map's question marks and side quests and I just wanted to finish the last DLC's sidequests once I got my new card. Welp goodbye witcher 3.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I asked for a 32x for Christmas in 94 or whenever it came out and got one......

I had one too, it was fine as a way to play doom without a $2000 computer. There were a couple other games that were decent.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
speaking of the witcher, my first play through of the witcher 2 i turned down all the sex

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Lockback posted:

I had one too, it was fine as a way to play doom without a $2000 computer. There were a couple other games that were decent.

My brother and I also had the Sega CD. We were gluttons for punishment.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I played Oblivion for probably months and months, hundreds of hours most likely, and I was having a blast and like getting in fights defending it on the official forums and other dumb crap like that. Then one day I was playing and suddenly it hit me like a thunderbolt: oh my god this game blows. Just like that, like someone flipped a switch.

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

I bought fighting game Tao Feng for the OG Xbox on release date and it was hot garbage. This was back when you could return open product. I brought it back within hours and the girl at the counter laughed and told me I was like the third person to do so.

I remember that game sucking so badly and thinking what the hell? It seemed to have everything going for it, and I thought the breaking limbs would be a cool system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I bought a Gamecube at launch. That in of itself want the bad part. I traded in my SNES and N64 to help pay for it. :gonk:

• Locked thread