Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I paid full price for Arkham Origins and its season pass, the sum total of which is actually worth $20 tops.

Also, I paid $40 for The Evil Within

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to romance both Trish and Yen :doh:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I thought the n64 turok was pretty fun?
you cant even turn and strafe at the same time in that loving garbage game
supposedly cool weapons (that are retarded) except who could tell because the game is 90% mist

there was 5 and a half months before its release and the superior in every way goldeneye so i guess you could enjoy it for that long if you didnt already realize it sucked

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
GoldenEye had me shooting slow, ponderous zombies in the arms and legs with weapons that sound like paint ball guns.

Turok let me blast some white trash Aussie long hunter and his Humvee driving henchmen away with exploding arrows and shotgun shells. And you most certainly CAN strafe and turn in that game. Strafe-running was necessary for some of the longer jumps.

GeekCom
Jan 9, 2014
I bought Duke Nukem Forever physically for every platform it came out on. I even bought the LE edition for PS3. The reason? I once told my friends if it ever came out I would buy it on every format it came out on. I thought there was no way it would ever see release. I was wrong. So now I have multiple versions of a meh game. Say what you will but I at least lived up to my word.

GeekCom fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 29, 2016

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Games can be bought psychically now? Sweet, I don't need to by a new solid state.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I remember when CD keys were only numbers :smith:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Wicker Man posted:

And you most certainly CAN strafe and turn in that game. Strafe-running was necessary for some of the longer jumps.
at. the. same. time. no you cant
i distinctly remember a friend brought that over and we allowed goldeneye to be removed and loaded up some multiplayer and my first impression upon realization of that was "what is this trash"

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

gary oldmans diary posted:

at. the. same. time. no you cant
i distinctly remember a friend brought that over and we allowed goldeneye to be removed and loaded up some multiplayer and my first impression upon realization of that was "what is this trash"

The control stick does the turning, the 4 little yellow buttons do the forward/back/left/right movement. You just press the stick in one direction then hit one of the yellow buttons at the same time with your other hand. It's how you can knife raptors without ever being hit, by constantly spinning in circles around them while swinging the knife.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I let Lautrec out but I didn't murder him right away.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Wicker Man posted:

The control stick does the turning, the 4 little yellow buttons do the forward/back/left/right movement. You just press the stick in one direction then hit one of the yellow buttons at the same time with your other hand. It's how you can knife raptors without ever being hit, by constantly spinning in circles around them while swinging the knife.
dude you can do a jagged circle strafe but not a real circle strafe like you can in goldeneye
like within 2 minutes of playing the game i got 2 other people next to me to try and verify that the game would do something that stupid
maybe it was just a limitation in multiplayer but i doubt it and think youre remembering wrong

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

RedMage129 posted:

That's not a mistake, that's the way to fight him for real later on.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

gary oldmans diary posted:

dude you can do a jagged circle strafe but not a real circle strafe
like within 2 minutes of playing the game i got 2 other people next to me to try and verify that the game would do something that stupid
maybe it was just a limitation in multiplayer but i doubt it and think youre remembering wrong

If I'm turning while being able to sprint sideways at the same time without stopping the turn, it's circle strafing. The speed of the turn is it's own thing. But then again I am mostly thinking of Turok 1, which had no multiplayer. Even so, I don't remember the controls differing much from 1-3 AND Rage Wars.

I am a god drat nerd.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Wicker Man posted:

If I'm turning while being able to sprint sideways at the same time without stopping the turn, it's circle strafing.
exactly what i was unable to do. my friends didnt get why it was important but that sort of thing is why they would always lose (and one of them literally sold goldeneye because i ruined multiplayer for him)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RedMage129 posted:

same but for Yurt

GeekCom
Jan 9, 2014
Also I backed Might No 9. And I think I backed like over 100 kickstarters including

Matchstick - a streaming device - canceled

Woolfe - one of those "Dark fairy tale" games like Alice Madness returns - only 1 episode of 5 came out all the rest were was canceled

River city Ransom underground - stuck in legal hell most likely canceled

Shantae Half Genie Hero - 2 years behind and they seam to be spinning their wheels/doing other games. - may never come out.

Time Spinner - a mega man type game with a mage character - last message form creator was in june (it's now the end of august) seams to not be going anywhere

Echo Tokyo - A VN and it's on and off and not really going anyplace. they just had another kickstarter and if you were in the first one you were told you don't get new stuff from the second kickstarter when/if it comes out.

GeekCom fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 29, 2016

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

notZaar posted:

That's not a mistake, that's the way to fight him for real later on.

On my first play through I would have much rather had the early ring. Second play through for actually going through his storyline.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
the sexbox 1 is extremely good, gently caress all the gaylords who say it isnt ):<

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shadow0 posted:

Decided to replay Metroid recently. I think the first time I stopped playing was when I realized I had missed scanning something and couldn't get 100% or maybe I got bored, don't remember. But this time I was determined to get 100%. I obsessively scanned everything. Still managed to miss the second boss's hidden underwater scan thing because I had thought my initial scan of him was the only scan on him, and then later I missed some ice bat enemy that only spawns until you beat some boss, and then they get replaced by something from then on out for the rest of the game. They were very similar to another enemy and suicide bombed you as soon as you got close, so I never noticed I hadn't scanned them until it was too late and I was looking at a guide to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Same thing happened in FF7 where I looked at a guide for all items and came to realize there were two items that you could only get from enemies which appeared in some locations you could only visit once.

And speaking of FF7, I once started some long flashback sequence right before my girlfriend came over. I kept thinking there'd be a save point coming up soon, so I just kept playing, much to her frustration. The longer it went on, the less I wanted to just throw away all the time I spent on it. She didn't speak English very well, and I was probably doing a poor job of explaining in her language, so we almost ended up breaking up as a result. So glad we have much better saving systems these days.

And speaking of saving mistakes: not saving more often in Spore. Who makes a game like that without auto-save? And then to additionally have it buggy enough to crash... Many hours wasted on something that already wasted my time.

drat dude, this is purestrain goon... I'm loving it.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

GeekCom posted:

Also I backed Might No 9. And I think I backed like over 100 kickstarters including

Matchstick - a streaming device - canceled

Woolfe - one of those "Dark fairy tale" games like Alice Madness returns - only 1 episode of 5 came out all the rest were was canceled

River city Ransom underground - stuck in legal hell most likely canceled

Shantae Half Genie Hero - 2 years behind and they seam to be spinning their wheels/doing other games. - may never come out.

Time Spinner - a mega man type game with a mage character - last message form creator was in june (it's now the end of august) seams to not be going anywhere

Echo Tokyo - A VN and it's on and off and not really going anyplace. they just had another kickstarter and if you were in the first one you were told you don't get new stuff from the second kickstarter when/if it comes out.

Christ almighty. That's just terrible.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

opus111 posted:

drat dude, this is purestrain goon... I'm loving it.

The thought process of people who need to 100% poo poo like that in games is utterly bizarre and alien to me.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Paid full price for Splatoon. Such a lovely game.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

i beat mas effect and wondered why the gently caress eberyone was talking about sexing up babes and ~character development~ because i didnt give a poo poo about Starfleet Barbie

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

notZaar posted:

The thought process of people who need to 100% poo poo like that in games is utterly bizarre and alien to me.

Agred. Games like witcher 3 must send such people nuts.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I got really hyped for Star Wars: Galaxies and when it was released it was a big let down.

I'm still sad I can't play that piece of poo poo anymore though.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Linux Pirate posted:

I got really hyped for Star Wars: Galaxies and when it was released it was a big let down.

I'm still sad I can't play that piece of poo poo anymore though.

i played the demo for that starwars battlefield game, it was cool you got ot shoot lasers at people and stuff but i dint like the hoth map i jus liked the moon map (:

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i got on mr bones wild ride

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

dookifex_maximus posted:

i got on mr bones wild ride

i got a bone that'll give you a wild ride :q:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Put over 100 hours into DayZ because my idiot friends (well, mostly just the one) kept saying we should play it and this latest patch is so much better I swear!

Finally uninstalled it after we lost almost half an hour (of running from one place to another and juggling your status bars) when a server went down.

Video games make me want to be dead.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

This is not "Your worst future mistake"

(I'm sure kids will be stoked to play Pong on Atari in 2035)

I wasn't an atari kid. More like NES, Genesis, SNES, PS1 and Dreamcast. Although at this point with the mini NES that came out and the promise of more flash-based retro console emulators that work with modern TV's, it's probably a non-issue for the most part (I don't really care about the obscure titles, just want them to get a sense of how far games have come in the past 25 years).

Thing is, my kids have already been ruined by touchscreens. My 5 yo can use a touchscreen instinctively with no issues, but can't make the connection between pressing physical buttons on a controller and having a character jump on screen. It's like the most loving basic hand eye coordination!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

nigga crab pollock posted:

i beat mas effect and wondered why the gently caress eberyone was talking about sexing up babes and ~character development~ because i didnt give a poo poo about Starfleet Barbie

This. Also I picked whatever the gently caress I felt was the right choice instead of weird loving people who had to be 100% Good or 100% Bad.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Witcher 3 is an amazing game but I don't think I'm even a quarter of the way through the main story because I keep messing around with side quests, but the side quests in this game are actually extremely good.

A troll asked me to paint a shield with an eagle crest on it and I thought I would do this retarded troll a favor, but it turns out Geralt can't draw for poo poo so his eagle crest turned out to be some horrible lopsided chicken thing but at least the troll tried to be nice about it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Chubbs posted:

I wasn't an atari kid. More like NES, Genesis, SNES, PS1 and Dreamcast. Although at this point with the mini NES that came out and the promise of more flash-based retro console emulators that work with modern TV's, it's probably a non-issue for the most part (I don't really care about the obscure titles, just want them to get a sense of how far games have come in the past 25 years).

Thing is, my kids have already been ruined by touchscreens. My 5 yo can use a touchscreen instinctively with no issues, but can't make the connection between pressing physical buttons on a controller and having a character jump on screen. It's like the most loving basic hand eye coordination!

lol ur kids dumb as poo poo hahaha

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Decrepus posted:

This. Also I picked whatever the gently caress I felt was the right choice instead of weird loving people who had to be 100% Good or 100% Bad.

in mass effect 1 you can be both 100% good and 100% bad

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i keep trying the cave of shadows in Twilight Princess HD

it is so awful.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
is the new farcry good? I really liked the old farcrs but the new one looked kinda retarded like I like shooting guns and stf not being all caveman, should I get the new farcry?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nooner posted:

lol ur kids dumb as poo poo hahaha

That's pretty much what I'm taking away from this one, too. But it sounds like the genepool had the cards stacked against it from day 1 so it's hard to blame the lil duder

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Witcher 3 is an amazing game but I don't think I'm even a quarter of the way through the main story because I keep messing around with side quests, but the side quests in this game are actually extremely good.

A troll asked me to paint a shield with an eagle crest on it and I thought I would do this retarded troll a favor, but it turns out Geralt can't draw for poo poo so his eagle crest turned out to be some horrible lopsided chicken thing but at least the troll tried to be nice about it.
if you tell the troll to do it himself it comes out absolutely beautiful but he thinks it's awful. He really does think Geralt's is a work of art, because Witcher trolls are the best.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
fuggin idiot sister picked bulbasaur as her starting pokeman :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I have a really bad habit of buying fun handheld systems and then pawning them for extra cash (usually spent going out for food and drinks) if they go unplayed for three or more months. I regret letting go of my GBA SP and 3DS XL the most.

My worst in game mistake was getting really drunk and then single handedly failing one of the easiest six-man instances in Lord of the Rings Online, which caused me to have troubles finding pubbie groups for a good month or so.

• Locked thread