Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I have a really bad habit of buying fun handheld systems and then pawning them for extra cash (usually spent going out for food and drinks) if they go unplayed for three or more months. I regret letting go of my GBA SP and 3DS XL the most.

My worst in game mistake was getting really drunk and then single handedly failing one of the easiest six-man instances in Lord of the Rings Online, which caused me to have troubles finding pubbie groups for a good month or so.

did you suck the orcs dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Quick saved when I was gonna die when I meant to quick load and had no manual shots :qq:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Jesus christ I was going to say playing ffxi for 600 days and turning into a fat goon during high school and college was my biggest mistake, this is just plain upsetting

5 years logged in. 1/6th of my life. $14 bucks a month. $840 total. Much more if you consider the span i've actually owned the account, alt accounts I've owned, the controllers i've worn out, consoles and computers it has outlived... 5 years...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Quick saved when I was gonna die when I meant to quick load and had no manual shots :qq:

I read a post once from someone who saved their only save file in KOTOR during a bad spot in the Korriban trials section. They were at low health and at a portion where a mine totally blocks a hallway. No demolition skill, no med kits, no force healing. And of course you can't leave the area during that sequence except by completing it. They had to scrap the whole run because they couldn't do anything except run into the mine and die.

lol

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

I read a post once from someone who saved their only save file in KOTOR during a bad spot in the Korriban trials section. They were at low health and at a portion where a mine totally blocks a hallway. No demolition skill, no med kits, no force healing. And of course you can't leave the area during that sequence except by completing it. They had to scrap the whole run because they couldn't do anything except run into the mine and die.

lol

My only save for final fantasy tactics advanced had 299 of 300 missions complete with me unable to get the final item needed to finish the last fight and unlock cid. Had a playtime of like 400 hours.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
when i was a teen there was this hyped up mmo called Dark age of Camelot
being the spastic worrying person that i am a month before its EU release i went on some random forum i found to ask "how i should act in mmo's to get people to like me"
i was mercilessly trolled and told to do such things as make a macro that would yell "HEAL ME" and to press that when i took damage, beg for gold from anyone i saw and to fight mobs that other people were fighting to "help them" (this leeched xp)

i did these things constantly cause i thought that was how you acted in mmo's and i was widely hated until i deleted that character

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

absentmindedly turned off the ps2 while ssx3 was saving and corrupted the save

game was fun as hell tho so i had no problem with starting over

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

did you suck the orcs dick?

I was supposed to but I was so drunk that I used teeth, that's how I lost.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
back in the 2009 ghostbusters game i spent 30 minutes running on a roof wondering how to advance. turned out i destroyed some random object that was inexplicably tethered to the scripted event that would advance the game. who's the bigger fool, me or the game designer?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Quick saved when I was gonna die when I meant to quick load and had no <something>

This in most games I ever played

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Linux Pirate posted:

I got really hyped for Star Wars: Galaxies and when it was released it was a big let down.

I'm still sad I can't play that piece of poo poo anymore though.

As of like a year ago, some goons were playing on a pretty decent emulated server. The population was pretty small and it had all the jedi poo poo included, but it was the " "good" version of the game from before cu and that other nonsense. Nge or w/e. Plus the admins were pretty active, ran events. All that fun stuff. Decent pvp scene (enjoy playing a jedi they are literally unkillable by normal classes).

So if you want to recreate your teenaged dream of being an mmo crafting baron, go for it. The thread is probably still banging around mmo hmo.

Edit: quote fixed

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 30, 2016

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Spent lots of time playing Lunar Eternal Blue on Sega CD during the fall of freshman year of college. Ended up on academic probation and there was a part where I got to one of the dragons....and it froze. Restart, replay from the last save and it froze again. So academic probation for playing a game I would never finish.

Double whammy

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Shadow0 posted:

I once spent who knows how many hours playing Mass Effect 1, doing all the side quests first. Then finally, after completing everything else, I did the main mission with the plant mutants or whatever. Since you had to save some people that could die easily, I was saving a lot, but only to one save file. At some point, I got into an elevator and saved. Then I went out and accidentally killed a guy and then reloaded my save. Problem is: you aren't supposed to be able to save in elevators. I couldn't push any buttons or do anything to get out or do anything. Which would have been fine, except the auto-save *also* saved in the elevator!

So I lost my save and had to start completely over.

Ever since that day, I always have at least two saves I alternate writing over.

dude i downloaded ME a few days ago (first time playying) and got stuck in an elevator trying to reboot some AI computer and had to reload from the beginning of the map, wasn't a huge deal but i've been wary of them ever since...

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I think ME1 is one of those games that needs to be force vsync and stuff on the PC or else things get screwy. That frozen world research elevators are buggy because of it.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
yeah, i had a lot of screen tearing until i forced vsync and triple buffering through CCC.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Worst mistake I made somewhat recently was buying Alien: Isolation and wasting a few hours of my life just to arrive at the realization I really hated the game. I think it is the only negative review I have ever given on Steam.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
i got really upset at my brother for 'deleting' my Secret of Mana saves when in retrospect i think it was probably the cart battery, also trading in my FF2 and FF3 carts for Secret of Mana and then getting stuck for weeks because I didn't know you could use the whip to cross gaps

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The worst mistake is not aiming for headshots instinctively.

Because nailing someone in their center of mass, and probably one of the major organs including the heart, is totally not as important as a small chance of grazing their cheek which drops you dead in video games for some dumb reason.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
now i'm wondering if any games have a hitbox for dicks and if it does more damage

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

carrion kit posted:

now i'm wondering if any games have a hitbox for dicks and if it does more damage

there was a umod for unreal tournament 99 that added it and it yelled DICKSHOT whenever you did

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

carrion kit posted:

Original fallout games did: good chance to score a crit, and crotch crit usually ignore armor and cause knock down/knock out.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Edit: my phone and I suck.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

carrion kit posted:

rust does and randomizes your genitalia size/gender based on steam id. if you have a bigger schlong its reflected w a bigger hitbox

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My girlfriend bought a new GPU and it came with a free copy of The Division.
I'd heard some good things about it from some friends so I bought a $60 copy to play with her.

We played together a couple times only to find that she was flighty and I was bossy. I played alone for a bit, we played again together and neither of us have touched it since.

I guess the mistake was not sticking to something simple with a lot of explosions.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Applewhite posted:

I didn't buy a Wii U and missed out on Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword as a result.

not a mistake

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

carrion kit posted:

I'm pretty sure Postal 2 does.

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010
there's a ww2 sniper game where you can shoot hitler in the willie

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Woke up angry one morning after a night of drinking, proceeded to smash my xbox 360 to pieces along with a cheap tv because the xbox didn't want to play my netflix dvd.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 30, 2016

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I stopped playing Chronotrigger for 3 weeks and when I got back in the game I had no idea where to go or what to do. Started over.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I was playing Morrowind as a Breton and had the Boots of Blinding Speed, a Staff of Levitation which let me levitate for 120 seconds at a time (forever), and an artifact spear, which let me swoop in and out and poke anything to death super fast and nothing could touch me.

During one quest you have to duel a very powerful warrior in an arena and nothing was stopping me from doing my usual swooping death tactic. Except my friend was watching me and I wanted to prove how badass my character was so I boldly stooped too low and got hit a single time which knocked my pale frail stupid rear end down. He killed me with the next blow.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 30, 2016

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Worst mistake I made somewhat recently was buying Alien: Isolation and wasting a few hours of my life just to arrive at the realization I really hated the game. I think it is the only negative review I have ever given on Steam.

I could only play the first hour of this game because it gave me anxiety attacks. If you like being scared, it's a great game.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

natetimm posted:

I could only play the first hour of this game because it gave me anxiety attacks. If you like being scared, it's a great game.

I was playing on hard, and that alien is always right were you need to be. Plus despite traveling presumably several decks between levels the alien always happens to be on that area.

Those distraction gadgets were great, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

natetimm posted:

It wasn't scary, it was tedious and poorly-designed. The savepoint system was particularly bad when the onscreen indication of where the gently caress you were supposed to go was indecipherable, and made navigation practically impossible. I got really tired of playing the same 15 minutes of gameplay over and over again just because I had to hide from the alien while trying to figure out where the gently caress the map pointer was telling me to go. I finally just got fed up and said gently caress it, I'm done. It baffles me how it got so many positive reviews, but I guess the whole stealth/sneak thing got really popular in the last few years.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The retro tech look was a really nice touch, though :shrug:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Brink was not good. How could the makers of Enemy Territory fall so hard?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It wasn't scary, it was tedious and poorly-designed. The savepoint system was particularly bad when the onscreen indication of where the gently caress you were supposed to go was indecipherable, and made navigation practically impossible. I got really tired of playing the same 15 minutes of gameplay over and over again just because I had to hide from the alien while trying to figure out where the gently caress the map pointer was telling me to go. I finally just got fed up and said gently caress it, I'm done. It baffles me how it got so many positive reviews, but I guess the whole stealth/sneak thing got really popular in the last few years.

It was an immersion thing to ape the style of the first Alien movie. The horror schtick in that movie is their sensors let them know something is there, but not specific enough to be useful when it's real close.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

carrion kit posted:

Surely soldier of fortune had this

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

lol

I couldn't beat the last boss in KOTOR because I didn't have saber throw. I couldnt blow up the tanks fast enough before I was horribly murdered. Pure glass cannon.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
One time I installed League of Legends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

I've purchased precisely two collector's editions in my life:

Star Wars Galaxies
Hellgate London

Yep.

• Locked thread