Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

American Horror Story is an anthology series created by Ryan Murphy. Each season is a self-contained storyline an entry in an increasingly scattershot and arbitrary canon , a pastiche of forms and genres found in western-style horror.

American Horror Story: Scary Place is set in an unknown place and era, since they're not going to tell us and instead released 5 zillion trailers which have nothing to do with each other or the show:

What's Cooking?
Sunset Stroll
Post Op
Milli Crossing
Lullaby
Descent
The Mist
Wind Chimes
The Shadow
Camp Sight
The Harvest
The Visitors
Anthology
Bite Sized
Self Preservation
Blink
The Lesson
Pitch a Fit
Bathing Beauty
Blind Date
Backtrack

Maybe one or more of them is relevant, who knows. If you feel you do, go here and try to win a car. If not, you can at least expect series standbys like weird sex, an unlikely redemption arc, and cool camerawork. There will be a child with something horribly wrong with it and it'll be really gross. Someone from another season will show up for no reason. The gay subtext will be frequent and hamhanded. 75% chance of stunt casting. Nevertheless the sets and outfits will be really nice and we'll all be in this thread asking what the gently caress is going on but still watching because we have been the real american horror story all along.

Cast*

Sarah Paulson                                Good Witch
Cheyenne Jackson                             Charles Manson
Evan Peters                                  Chief Scientist
Angela Bassett                               Azazel
Denis O'Hare                                 Leatherchapsface
Finn Wittrock                                Sergeant Zombie
Matt Bomer                                   Voice of Murdertron 3000
Wes Bentley                                  Ryan Murphy's Libido
Lady Gaga                                    Prostitute #2
Kathy Bates                                  Charles Manson's Clone
Leslie Jordan                                Evan Peters
Cuba Gooding Jr.                             Barack Obama

*Some roles speculative

American Horror TV Show Patrol Squad will premiere on September 14. The title of the show has been changed (to what, god only knows) so make sure to recreate your DVR season passes.

Previous on American Horror Story:

Season 5: Hotel

Season 4: Freak Show

Season 3: Coven

Season 2: Asylum

Season 1: Murderhouse

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I always have such high hopes for every season of AHS. Hopefully this season is good.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Was Season 5: Hotel any good? It looked interesting from the same bit I watched while dicking around channels.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BexGu posted:

Was Season 5: Hotel any good? It looked interesting from the same bit I watched while dicking around channels.

No, it's genuinely a waste of time. Check out the first couple of episodes if you want, but on the whole it's definitely the most incomprehensible season of this show by far.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Maybe...maybe this season will be good.

I gave up on Hotel pretty quickly. I may just binge through it at some point, but if it's worse that Freak Show or Coven, that's pretty impressive.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BexGu posted:

It was one of the better seasons to watch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Asiina posted:

Maybe...maybe this season will be good.

I gave up on Hotel pretty quickly. I may just binge through it at some point, but if it's worse that Freak Show or Coven, that's pretty impressive.

It's better than Freak Show and miles better than Coven.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

SalTheBard posted:

I always have such high hopes for every season of AHS. Hopefully this season is good.

Me too. You'd think we'd learn. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me six times....?

BexGu posted:

It definitely had its moments. Evan Peters and Denis O' Hare were awesome in every scene. Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulsen and Lady Gaga were a bit polarizing, but I think they were also great. Lily Rabe owned in the one episode she was in. It still had some stupid plot threads (vampire measles school massacre...UGH) going nowhere and way too much going on at any time, but if you like the campiness of the series you should kind of expect it by now. There was also a "se7en"-ish serial killer subplot, but most of the viewers guessed the killer's identity early and were screaming at the TV whenever they clumsily tried to hint at it in the show. Like the previous seasons it had great actors, great sets, great camerawork, some interesting ideas, but still the script was plagued by Murphy's usual plot ADHD.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I only watched Season 1 and the first few episodes of season 2, which I enjoyed. Are any of 3-5 worth checking out?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Op you missed Blind Date in your list of promos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9xRIh8ZmI

The only way that one can be the 'true' promo is if season 6 is set in a studio that makes cheesy horror movies. Or a theater that plays cheesy horror movies. In which case all of the promos could be true.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The only way that one can be the 'true' promo is if season 6 is set in a studio that makes cheesy horror movies. Or a theater that plays cheesy horror movies. In which case all of the promos could be true.

God, can you imagine? :allears:

Just started marathoning this show recently, went through 1 and 4. I never believed in my life that I'd see (S4 Spoilers) Doogie Howser get in a foursome with a puppet and a conjoined twin. This show is trashy as gently caress in between the actual good seasons/parts.

Anyone know if FX is marathoning Hotel before the season premiere? I'd like to get caught up, but Netflix doesn't have S5 up yet.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
After watching season 1 and 2 again, I think my favorite season is hotel. Season 1 is kinda a mess for me as to many people become ghosts and the columbine stuff was like 10 years too late. Season 2 is good in till Lange needed to be turned into a hero. I think the dancing gif for season 2 in the OP was the start when everything got too campy for me. I hope they focus more on horror and less on shock value.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I loved the first two seasons of AHS, despite its unevenness and flaws. I slogged through 'Coven' which started with such great potential and had what I consider to be the best scene of the series (Kathy Bates is terrifying; seriously, they should have stayed in olde New Orleans) but got harder to watch each week as it approached its uneventful finale. The only good parts of 'Freak Show' involved the Twisty the clown and Dandy; I gave up on the season before it ended. I wasn't able to get too far into 'Hotel' though Evan Peters was great as usual and Mare Winningham was a treasure.

Despite all that and my own judgement, I will sample the new season and see how long I can stay invested. May God have mercy on my soul.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
A lot of the teasers seem to lean toward a theme of farm and possibly colonial life.

I think a fair theme would be Cemetery. Given that death, or lack thereof, is such a prevalent concept throughout the seasons. I think a cemetery has been featured in every one as well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Benders I heard that it was a rumor they might do the bloody benders.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tenzarin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Benders I heard that it was a rumor they might do the bloody benders.

Bendyman.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That seems very plausible based on evidence but I'm not sure what they would do to have an expanded cast aside from small town folk and maybe some frontier characters.

Then again we could get Wendigo and maybe some first peoples mysticism. That sounds like the kind of stuff Ryan Murphy would cock up.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I only watched Season 1 and the first few episodes of season 2, which I enjoyed. Are any of 3-5 worth checking out?

Season 2 is as good as the show will ever be, so you should definitely finish that season.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Season 2 was a work of art. Season 1 was entertaining. 3 was utterly uninspired and 4 was meh. Vaguely interested in watching the first episode of 5, but I haven't much faith at this point.

Trousers!
Sep 28, 2001
"Ummm, I don't think sushi is Japanese. It was invented in California." - Villainy, in the 'Why are so many anime fans so goddamn fucking retarded.' thread.
I could have sworn I saw this season titled "American Horror Story: Misty" on a fall premier schedule somewhere.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

American Horror Story: Play Misty For Me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

:allears:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show just hasn't been the same since Lily Rabe stopped being a full time cast member.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

No, not my famil!

Looking forward to another season of whatever the hell is going on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35UigjjPEE4

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Last Chance posted:

No, it's genuinely a waste of time. Check out the first couple of episodes if you want, but on the whole it's definitely the most incomprehensible season of this show by far.

Liiiiies

If you think Coven was better than hotel you're crazy. Coven was a loving Dexter level train wreck. Carnival was just dull.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Coven was as a train that kept going off the rails and inexplicably landing on a completely different set of rails and then repeating the pattern until it finally just... stopped.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Liiiiies

If you think Coven was better than hotel you're crazy. Coven was a loving Dexter level train wreck. Carnival was just dull.

To be clear: Coven and Hotel are both really, really awful. BUT Coven is slightly better.

Coven:

A. Started with promise whereas Hotel just said "gently caress you" to a coherent plot right away, without even trying for a few episodes like Coven did. Also, I.M.H.O. Coven had some actually creepy moments early on.

B. Had better actors, used the actors better, generally. When the camera's on Lady Gaga's rear end longer than Sarah Paulson, then something isn't right.

C. Didn't have that horrific detective/serial killer character, who is by far the worst "main character" of any season. His kid was just as awful. I couldn't stand that entire family. They had no chemistry whatsoever.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Last Chance posted:

To be clear: Coven and Hotel are both really, really awful. BUT Coven is slightly better.

Coven:

A. Started with promise whereas Hotel just said "gently caress you" to a coherent plot right away, without even trying for a few episodes like Coven did. Also, I.M.H.O. Coven had some actually creepy moments early on.

B. Had better actors, used the actors better, generally. When the camera's on Lady Gaga's rear end longer than Sarah Paulson, then something isn't right.

C. Didn't have that horrific detective/serial killer character, who is by far the worst "main character" of any season. His kid was just as awful. I couldn't stand that entire family. They had no chemistry whatsoever.

This is accurate. I know a lot of people, myself included, who couldn't even finish Freak Show and Hotel.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the only two good things out of the stupid detective plot is that quick scene of a SWAT team swarming a preschool, and the daughter coming out unscathed and doing way better than everyone else in the show

except maybe Sarah Paulson turning into an instagram superstar?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

clown shoes posted:

This is accurate. I know a lot of people, myself included, who couldn't even finish Freak Show and Hotel.

Same. Once twisty died, Elsa's backstory was revealed, and a major plot point was Evan Peters causing vaginal bleeding I was like "OK i don't give enough of a gently caress about Sarah Paulson or Emma Roberts or angry folk in a town and feel I've already gotten some decent poo poo. Time to move on.

Then I saw one episode of hotel and said "so John is the serial killer" and I was right. I watched the devil's night stuff then moved on.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Last Chance posted:

Coven:

Counterpoint:

A. Evan Peters' performance in Hotel was amazing.

B. Most of the Hotel soundtrack was awesome.

C. The serial killer dinner fantastic.

D. Lady Gaga DOES have a pretty nice rear end.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
American Horror Story: Backstage At A Soho Theater

The theater is a prison for supernatural divas. Kathy Bates is the theater manager.

Lady Gaga is a werewolf.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Then I saw one episode of hotel and said "so John is the serial killer" and I was right. I watched the devil's night stuff then moved on.

I didn't know for sure he was the serial killer (only watched like five episodes) but I just assumed he was. It was pretty obvious.

As bad as Hotel was, Mare Winningham and Evan Peters were awesome. I wanted a whole season of them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I checked out after coven had someone jack off to try and ward off a minotaur. is freak show good? hotel looks bad.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Freak Show has some good boogeymen, but is ultimately completely incoherent.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

hemophilia posted:

I checked out after coven had someone jack off to try and ward off a minotaur. is freak show good? hotel looks bad.

Freak Show started out good with some interesting characters and situations but nosedived mid-season. I hoped it was going to be Carnivale-lite. Actual spoilers the creepy clown is built up to be the big bad guy but dies midseason and ends up not tying in with the rest of the plot. The rest of the season tries desperately to replace him as a villain but each one is a wet fart. There were two really good moments right near the end. The episode that told Pepper's backstory and the con-man getting mutilated. But everything is wet farts. Dandy is a wet fart. Lobster Boy is a wet fart. Dell is a wet fart. It all culminates in a big meta farewell to Jessica Lange with Ryan Murphy all but fellating her on stage.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Looks like Rotten Tomatoes accidentally published the subtitle of the new season: _______The Mist_______

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Looks like Rotten Tomatoes accidentally published the subtitle of the new season: _______The Mist_______

Can confirm, it's listed the same way on Comcast's guide. Don't forget to set your DVR's, kids!

• Locked thread