Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Apparently that's how it's listed in print in TV Guide too. It's weird because Spike TV apparently has a show in production that's based on the actual Stephen King "The Mist."

Two new promos too. Baby Face & Tide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If they try to do their own silent hill I will laugh and laugh

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it's a silent hill but evan peters is a robot that's just Fisto from New Vegas inserted into it, it's never revealed why but everyone inexplicably pauses to run from Not Pyramid Head to get in a quick fisting sesh

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

hemophilia posted:

it's a silent hill but evan peters is a robot that's just Fisto from New Vegas inserted into it, it's never revealed why but everyone inexplicably pauses to run from Not Pyramid Head to get in a quick fisting sesh

Still would make more sense than minotaur sex

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MrSlam posted:

Freak Show started out good with some interesting characters and situations but nosedived mid-season. I hoped it was going to be Carnivale-lite. Actual spoilers the creepy clown is built up to be the big bad guy but dies midseason and ends up not tying in with the rest of the plot. The rest of the season tries desperately to replace him as a villain but each one is a wet fart. There were two really good moments right near the end. The episode that told Pepper's backstory and the con-man getting mutilated. But everything is wet farts. Dandy is a wet fart. Lobster Boy is a wet fart. Dell is a wet fart. It all culminates in a big meta farewell to Jessica Lange with Ryan Murphy all but fellating her on stage.

Hey look here was this really cool story, oops we killed it. Now Lange will sing songs for the remaining 9 episodes on this show of American Horor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Geeze, how many did they make? Maybe that's the secret, there is no season wide plot, just short 'moments' with no connection to anything. Plot has never been AHS strong point.

Sept 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-d-vA1Ljgo

Sept 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eMNej0-WL0

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd like to be optimistic and say that Ryan Murphy is giving a ton of film school kids the chance to direct tiny shorts that'll be seen on television.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

With a few exceptions, American Horror Story's biggest issue is its inability to slow down. The show always seems to resolve its central conflict in its first third before getting lost in its own morass. Freak Show would be a pretty acceptable miniseries if it ended after the first four episodes. Twisty dies, the Twins find a family, and the freaks achieve acceptance. Coven, similarly, is somewhat coherent up until the Halloween episode, where Zoey, LaLaurie, and Cordelia are forced to confront what awful people they are during a zombie apocalypse.

If American Horror Story could just slow down and focus on its central plot lines, it would be a much better show. Probably less insane and campy, but better quality.

I will be interested in seeing how this season turns out. While still bad, Hotel was a strong improvement from the last two seasons.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 4, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

If they try to do their own silent hill I will laugh and laugh

Especially when Stranger Things just came out and did it better than they could ever hope to.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

if ryan murphy somehow got the script to the cancelled silent hills and is making it i'd be 10001% onboard, just to see two contrasting yet crazy creative output get presented onscreen

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Saddest Rhino posted:

if ryan murphy somehow got the script to the cancelled silent hills and is making it i'd be 10001% onboard, just to see two contrasting yet crazy creative output get presented onscreen

Silent Hill 2: the monsters represent James' guilt and fear about the death of his wife
Silent Hill 3: the monsters represent Heather's fear of pregnancy and becoming a mother
AHS: Silent Hill: the monsters represent Ryan Murphy letting his dick make all the show's casting decisions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
AHS showed up in my TiVo guide. Show name "American Horror Story" (no "The Mist"), episode "Chapter 1", no log line :iiam:

Reminder to make a new season pass if you haven't already.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

That promo reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtKMS1kjlo

Edit: I think I found a better version.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 5, 2016

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I just started watching Scream Queens, and two episodes in my general impression is that the Murphchuk brand of flamboyant, rambling, quirky, overkill, ADD-like stream-of-consciousness writing suits the format of absurdist comedy better than attempting straight-faced horror (not a gay joke). What is the general consensus on that series? So far, I kind of like that it is so sincere with being really silly and some kind of midpoint between AHS and The Naked Gun. There are so many concepts that make sense in the silly comedy setting of Scream Queens that would make me groan loadly in AHS, like inconsistent character traits, nonsensical plot twists and general horror character stupidity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

AHS: Silent Hill: the monsters represent Ryan Murphy letting his dick make all the show's casting decisions.

Y'know, I can't fault someone for having a type, but I don't think I've ever seen it so strongly represented as this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kjetting posted:

I just started watching Scream Queens, and two episodes in my general impression is that the Murphchuk brand of flamboyant, rambling, quirky, overkill, ADD-like stream-of-consciousness writing suits the format of absurdist comedy better than attempting straight-faced horror (not a gay joke). What is the general consensus on that series? So far, I kind of like that it is so sincere with being really silly and some kind of midpoint between AHS and The Naked Gun. There are so many concepts that make sense in the silly comedy setting of Scream Queens that would make me groan loadly in AHS, like inconsistent character traits, nonsensical plot twists and general horror character stupidity.

Scream Queens is great. The best thing about it is how straight all the actors play it, even as it gets more and more ridiculous and they all just stay so sincere. The other best thing, surprisingly, is Ariana Grande.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

Scream Queens is great. The best thing about it is how straight all the actors play it, even as it gets more and more ridiculous and they all just stay so sincere. The other best thing, surprisingly, is Ariana Grande.

Yeah, I loved Scream Queens. Niecy Nash made me laugh pretty much every time she was in a scene.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

timp posted:

Yeah, I loved Scream Queens. Niecy Nash made me laugh pretty much every time she was in a scene.

"Why are you wearing my clothes?!?!"

"The bigger question is: why are you the same size as a 40-year-old woman?"

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
"Go take a psychology course. Try to figure out who gave you such disgusting mommy issues."
"It was, you know, probably my mom."

"Bitch, I'm about to smack you so hard your tampon's gonna pop out."

"This closet is the most precious thing in my life. It's like a second vagina to me, so you sneaking in here and rifling through my clothes is a heinous violation! You have violated my closet vag."

Yeah, I noticed it's insanely quotable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NEW PROMO!!! SO EXCITE!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k43qs9yz_Rc

I dunno, I think sticking a vertebrate mouth on a spider actually makes it less creepy than the spider's natural mouthparts.

It's like musk deer. "Saber toothed deer" sounds like it could be scary, but in practice it's just goofy looking.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Facebook Aunt posted:

I dunno, I think sticking a vertebrate mouth on a spider actually makes it less creepy than the spider's natural mouthparts.

Agreed, this is just silly! I literally laughed.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

NEW PROMO!!! SO EXCITE!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k43qs9yz_Rc

It's like musk deer. "Saber toothed deer" sounds like it could be scary, but in practice it's just goofy looking.

It reminds me of a SciFi movie promo. I really love the concept of AHS so I hope they don't blow it. I didn't watch much of Hotel. For me it seemed like they were trying to hard to be weird. Like what a middle school kid would come up with

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
From the first moment I saw footage from Hotel I was disappointed. I knew I'd still watch it, but I would have been much happier if it had been more of a 1960's Hitchcockian Bates Motel sort of vibe.

Every other season has lots of references to horror movies or familiar horror tropes and Hotel seemed more like it was paying homage to True Blood or some poo poo, and not even because of the vampires.

To be fair we did get some hints of The Shining references with the creepy kids and ghost parties, but overall it felt to me like poor execution of a decent concept.

This is also the reason that I would watch the ever loving poo poo out of American Horror Story: Sleepaway Summer Camp set in the 80's.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah but you know an AHS: 80s camp would feel "mandated" to include poo poo like killer dolls, blob monsters, dream warriors, and all manner of other "homage" poo poo to pad out the season when the initial serial killer plot gets resolved in episode 5.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah but you know an AHS: 80s camp would feel "mandated" to include poo poo like killer dolls, blob monsters, dream warriors, and all manner of other "homage" poo poo to pad out the season when the initial serial killer plot gets resolved in episode 5.

I was thinking

-serial killer stalker (a la Jason)
-werewolves
-lake monster
-blob
-evil child with psychic pyro powers (or maybe a teen instead like Carrie)
-aliens, maybe?
-probably even a Freddy Krueger nightmare guy
-slutty, irresponsible teenage camp counselors for extra drama

Could all be fair game. Personally I love the non-sequitur homage stuff in AHS.

drat now I'm getting all disappointed again :smith:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

There is a sleep away summer camp show called Dead of Summer but honestly I watched two episodes and was not captivated at all

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

There is a sleep away summer camp show called Dead of Summer but honestly I watched two episodes and was not captivated at all

It's bonkers and ridiculous, but that's kind of what you want from a show like that. It's not really scary, though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

violetdragon posted:

It's bonkers and ridiculous, but that's kind of what you want from a show like that. It's not really scary, though.

does it get better after ep2? I wasn't really feeling the obvious Final Girl at all, although I did get a good laugh when they revealed the map of the place to look like a huge demon skull.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Given all the references to different horror stories in the promos - aliens, chainsaw maniacs, crop children, lake creatures, dolls, insects, a stair climbing scene reminiscent of Nosferatu - maybe the season is centered around an old theater? AHS: Theater could work, no?

Daedo
May 5, 2002

does it get better after ep2? I wasn't really feeling the obvious Final Girl at all, although I did get a good laugh when they revealed the map of the place to look like a huge demon skull.

It definitely gets better as the show goes on and becomes more and more crazy. You should stick it out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF30QvhonSA

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

lol

Another new promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQAPLWPFx8

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
American Horror Story: Riddler

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

kjetting posted:

"Go take a psychology course. Try to figure out who gave you such disgusting mommy issues."
"It was, you know, probably my mom."

"Bitch, I'm about to smack you so hard your tampon's gonna pop out."

"This closet is the most precious thing in my life. It's like a second vagina to me, so you sneaking in here and rifling through my clothes is a heinous violation! You have violated my closet vag."

Yeah, I noticed it's insanely quotable.

"Are you man enough to go inside that house and attack my crack?"

Scream Queens was awesome. Glad it got a second season even though the ratings were on the fringe.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

I'd watch it. The ending isn't what you expect.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

All the creepy eyed families, children and corn and sickles just made me want to watch Cabin in the Woods again.
https://youtu.be/DLtTKAf_G0A

Guaranteed to be better than what Murphy comes up with.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Final promo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7urn72Ifpc

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
They should really get the guy who writes and directs these commercials to make the show instead

I look forward to seeing how I'm going to be disappointed :reject:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That would have been a cool promo without Lady Gaga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

MrSlam posted:

Freak Show started out good with some interesting characters and situations but nosedived mid-season. I hoped it was going to be Carnivale-lite. Actual spoilers the creepy clown is built up to be the big bad guy but dies midseason and ends up not tying in with the rest of the plot. The rest of the season tries desperately to replace him as a villain but each one is a wet fart. There were two really good moments right near the end. The episode that told Pepper's backstory and the con-man getting mutilated. But everything is wet farts. Dandy is a wet fart. Lobster Boy is a wet fart. Dell is a wet fart. It all culminates in a big meta farewell to Jessica Lange with Ryan Murphy all but fellating her on stage.

You're forgetting how the carnival people were all "they say we're freaks and bad people blah blah blah" but then all of them turned out to pretty much be bad people, sometimes even worse than the townsfolk who were being prejudiced against them. Its been like three years so I am having trouble remembering specific instances but I remember they all kill one person or something and then give a big speech, maybe.

• Locked thread