Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Poland Spring posted:

Haha right? Like instead of cannibalizing the professor they just ended up finding him like that and the entire story about them (minus the weed) was fabricated to make them look bad because they're an easy target for the police to blame and to excuse a murder.

Hell that would have made this season AMAZING, ditch the whole head-up-your-rear end reality TV thing and just show the Real Story the second time around

Yeah that was what I was hoping for, like everybody else would be terrible but the Polks would just be this local family that was trying to keep their distance from the hosed up people but inevitably ended up having to save everyones rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

esperterra posted:

Yeah, I can jive with that comparison for sure.

I feel like people are overthinking TV too much. I know this is TVIV and all, but not every little thing needs to be explained. Though with that said I have a theory: Mason being all strung up like that could have been an embellishment. Maybe Matt and Shelby knew Lee killed Mason, and helped her cover it because poo poo was crazy enough already. Maybe they just told Sidney they found his body in the woods and he jazzed it up for the reenactment.

Really though, who cares. Especially when it's the only big plothole type thing in the season, really, which is great considering this is AHS.

I hope that if nothing else, Murphy sticks to a ten episode season again next year. It really helped.

e: i just remembered the cops having a rare moment of being involved was totes with mason's death wasn't it, so likely not played up for tv

I don't consider it overanalyzing to point out the big, glaring inconsistency never getting brought up again. All it would have taken was one or two throwaway lines explaining that it was a TV embellishment, but they couldn't even manage that.

Maybe they were afraid it would take time away from shoving a stake up Taissa Farmiga's butt.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Mob posted:

No offense but if you list of a bunch of major metropolitan cities you've lived in then you have no idea how realistic the Polk family was. And yeah I saw you snuck Virginia and NC in there at the end but you're really just clueless about this, sorry.

source: I live in Appalachia

You think they were realistic?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MadSparkle posted:

That's the worst part about small rural towns, all the cannibals.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I mean yeah there's some inbred as gently caress people out there and I guarantee you a good chunk of people who live off the grid probably grow some sort of drug, but I doubt cannibalism is that present in those communities

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's the worst part about small rural towns, all the cannibals.

I always drive through these towns, hoping for something exotic. This might be an answer to my wishes.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

MadSparkle posted:

Other than the cannibalism, yes

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mob posted:

Other than the cannibalism, yes

Charicatures that by their nature have truth, maybe. Granted I've never been to West Virginia, but in my life in the Carolinas I suppose I've been lucky to never meet real polks.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I started this season not liking it, I thought the reality show format was interesting but ultimately unsatisfying when combined with a storyline I just could not get into. I also did not like Hotel. Around halfway through though? I started to really enjoy it, and while the story kind of tampered off for me by the middle of the ending only to save itself at the last moment, the use of different "found footage" style sources was pretty well done in my opinion.

Lana Winters, while being part of the trend to call-back to earlier seasons that I dislike, was well used by being used sparingly- comparing it to the callback to Coven (my least favorite season) makes the chronologically former one seem laughable.

My biggest fear moving forward is that we are going to see more incorporation of the shared universe, and following the result of eight million hours of footage about the house, have stories set in a universe where disbelief in the supernatural is akin to climate change denial. This could be really well done, and if I'm wrong I'll be thrilled, but one dangerous consequence is the isolation of protagonists following the disbelief of their concerns is gone.

EDIT: Freakshow is still tied with Asylum as my favorite season, but a lot of that has to do with Evan Peter's performance in Freakshow and my ability to forgive last minute clunky plots involving Neil Patrick Harris (who I just can't bring myself to not dislike).

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 28, 2016

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The pinhead episode of Freakshow was the best callback the series will probably ever have, unless stuff gets really crazy in inevitable final season.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Charicatures that by their nature have truth, maybe. Granted I've never been to West Virginia, but in my life in the Carolinas I suppose I've been lucky to never meet real polks.

Yeah, lucky you for sure.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the truth posted:

The pinhead episode of Freakshow was the best callback the series will probably ever have, unless stuff gets really crazy in inevitable final season.

They should rip off Dark Tower if they know they're hitting a final season and just throw all this poo poo at the wall, have 3 characters played by the same actor fighting each other, the loving works

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWBHP-Ij0Q4

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I thought Coven was a lot better than Roanoke :shrug:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

One thing that just hit me about this season was the emphasis on how everyone involved was a total fame whore.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
FX orders seasons 8 and 9 of AHS. Our torment will never end

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Excellent.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

American Horror Story: American Horror Story

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

McSpanky posted:

American Horror Story: American Horror Story

And you thought Murde House was meta

E: “Each new chapter is a cultural event, beloved for every new twist in imagery, style, cast and plot.”

Lol

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 13, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:spooky:AAmmeerriiccaann HHoorroorr SSttoorryy:spooky:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ex post facho posted:

I thought Coven was a lot better than Roanoke :shrug:

:getout:

Unless you liked Coven for how what-the-gently caress awful it was and how every episode added 50 new plot holes and nothing made any loving sense at all. It was some good hate-watching, up there with Heroes 3rd season and Dexter.

But it was loving terrrrrrible.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ryan Murphy posted:

Well I don't have a title, but the season that we begin shooting in June is going to be about the election that we just went through. So I think that will be interesting for a lot of people. [Will there be a Trump character?] Maybe.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ffffffuuuuuuu

Goddamnit Murphy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Get ready for four years of this :smugbert: poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's just going to be a rebroadcast of the election night coverage.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Kathy Bates as Trump with an inexplicable South African accent would fit well

April
Jul 3, 2006

I wonder if it'll be a Dead Zone kind of thing? Honestly, I might have to finally take a pass this time. I really loved Roanoke after the last few crappy seasons, but even if S7 is out of this world, I'm so exhausted from this past election and all the insanity of the last month.... I just don't want any more of it.

If he can make the Kathy Bates thing happen though, I might change my mind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

I wonder if it'll be a Dead Zone kind of thing? Honestly, I might have to finally take a pass this time. I really loved Roanoke after the last few crappy seasons, but even if S7 is out of this world, I'm so exhausted from this past election and all the insanity of the last month.... I just don't want any more of it.

If he can make the Kathy Bates thing happen though, I might change my mind.

With the rate poo poo is flying around now, we might be in a totally different political situation by fall. But yeah, I know what you mean, and I'm not sure this is a good idea either. This sort of thing is best done from a far future, no longer in immediate danger perspective.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The only way for this to work is if they handle the election thing with a mix of Lovecraft and conspiracy horror, both of which they really haven't covered in the show before. Otherwise it's just going to be some tepid :smuggo: bullshit.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

American Horror Story: Pissgate

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
American Horror Story: Merde House

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Blazing Ownager posted:

:getout:

Unless you liked Coven for how what-the-gently caress awful it was and how every episode added 50 new plot holes and nothing made any loving sense at all. It was some good hate-watching, up there with Heroes 3rd season and Dexter.

But it was loving terrrrrrible.
I really enjoyed Coven but it went nowhwere and was over just as I was really getting interested. It definitely fell flat.. In the "someone yanked the rug out from under the season" sense.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So Billie Lourd and Billy Eichner are confirmed to appear in Season 7. I'm stoked. I was worried I wouldn't see Lourd after Scream Queens.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

So Billie Lourd and Billy Eichner are confirmed to appear in Season 7. I'm stoked. I was worried I wouldn't see Lourd after Scream Queens.

I hope Eichner gets horridly murdered while playing himself doing Billy On The Street.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I was kinda hoping this thread would pick up all the FEUD chat since I didn't see a thread made about it. I feel like I'm the only one watching!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mob posted:

I was kinda hoping this thread would pick up all the FEUD chat since I didn't see a thread made about it. I feel like I'm the only one watching!

Not enough ghost murder. Or at least that's the perception, with Ryan Murphy who knows what's actually happening on the show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mob posted:

I'm watching! I was going to make a thread but :effort:. It's really, really good.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

esperterra posted:

I'm watching! I was going to make a thread but :effort:. It's really, really good.

How's Kathy Bates' accent?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The first 10 minutes of the season, this season, takes place in a very eerie macabre way on election night and there's something terrible that happens in the lives of our characters on election night as they're watching it all go down. Which in itself was a horror story, so it's like a horror story upon a horror story.

*inception horn*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is season 3 any good? I remember watching it when it was airing but I dropped it after a few episodes since the characters were not interesting to me nor the setting.

I finally finished Asylum and I am glad I went back to it because its pretty good. The ending isn't as good nor scary but the first half definitely has this unsettling tone and has few scary moments. Kinda gets boring because two characters who were really interesting die. Also the present/past storyline didn't do anything for me. The entire aliens subplot/story felt like an afterthought none of it was explained. I know there is always a bunch of different subplots in AHS but the aliens part was just bad and the alien scenes were super cheesy.

• Locked thread