Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Seasons 1 and 2 are as good as it gets by leaps and bounds.

I personally think all the seasons after Asylum are straight up lousy but your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheBizzness posted:

Seasons 1 and 2 are as good as it gets by leaps and bounds.

I personally think all the seasons after Asylum are straight up lousy but your mileage may vary.

Yeah, agreed. Even season two was showing classic 'Ryan Murphy can't make up his mind what he wants his show to be about' signs. It didn't feel incoherent, though, just a little disjointed tonally toward the end. This season benefitted from going loving all out and oozing with atmosphere, though. It also benefitted from bringing Sarah Paulson to the forefront, she was such a throwaway character in the first season.

While I think Coven is lousy af, I am also a homosexual. It was a season of fabulous bitches being campy and murdering eachother with witchcraft. Also Frances Conroy chewing all the scenery, just devouring that poo poo. I mean it was an awful, incoherent mess of a season, but it was entirely my kind of hot loving mess. Also, Emma Roberts.

Freakshow started strong and then quickly bored me to tears. It was a super strong first season for Finn Wittrock tho and he and Conroy were high spots. Also how do you gently caress up a character that involves Sarah Paulson playing two roles, she was so boring. Also the tradition of Paulson's character vs Lange's set in Asylum felt forced af this season. I don't know if it was because it was bad, or I was just sick of it by then. Besides, it's Lange's last season, why not go crazy and have their characters be friends like in the first. I barely remember the back half of this season, it feels like a weird fever dream about Jessica Lange singing covers in powdery, muted colours and brief flashes of Wittrock makin me feel straight. I fell asleep during episodes of this season, and I rarely ever fall asleep watching a show.

Hotel was okay. It had a coherent story with a beginning, middle and end for the most part. Good characters, but no real surprises. You kind of just know where it's all leading to pretty early on. It was fun, though, and Lady Gaga was surprisingly good. It is a high point for Evans also, I was so happy with him playing upbeat.

I liked Roanoke a lot, it at least did something new even if I think it didn't always succeed. I don't know how much of enjoument is for the season itself, or the fact that Lily Rabe was back.

I look forward to AHS every year, even when op the previous season was awful or mediocre. There's something about the high points of even the most awful Ryan Murphy adventures that make it worth watching. I mean, even the last season of Glee had its moments. And Glee was awful for years. At least on this show he can hit a reset button every year and if we're lucky, he might strike the gold.

Cliffnotes: I'm gay as gently caress, also :catdrugs:

Do we know the next season's theme yet? All I know is Cuba is coming back.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I tried to rewatch season 1 and 2 and I just can't take Lange anymore. The last season had to be the best by a long shot.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

esperterra posted:

Do we know the next season's theme yet? All I know is Cuba is coming back.

The theme is the election.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Everything after Asylum gets continually worse, bottoming out at Hotel, which is by far the worst, most incoherent season of the show. I know I'm not in the majority, but I thought last season wasn't too bad, but it did get a bit ridiculous with the meta stuff by the end.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Roanoke was my second favorite season after Asylum.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

As far as quality is concerned, I would rank the series:
1.) Asylum
2.) Murder House
3.) Roanoke
4.) Hotel
5.) Freak Show
6.) Coven

There's a yawning gap in quality between the top half and the bottom of that list. I really would not bother watching Coven at all unless you are driven by some strange competionisf urges. Watch Feud instead.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

QuoProQuid posted:

1.) Asylum
2.) Murder House
3.) Roanoke
4.) Hotel
5.) Freak Show
6.) Coven

There's a yawning gap in quality between the top half and the bottom of that list. I really would not bother watching Coven at all unless you are driven by some strange competionisf urges. Watch Feud instead.

What's up exact ranking buddy

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

QuoProQuid posted:

1.) Asylum
2.) Murder House
3.) Roanoke
4.) Hotel
5.) Freak Show
6.) Coven

I agree with this except I think Freak Show after episode 4 or 5 is worse than the whole of Coven.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I'm with TheBizzness, Coven has a lot more going for it than Freak Show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheBizzness posted:

I agree with this except I think Freak Show after episode 4 or 5 is worse than the whole of Coven.

True. Freak Show starts pretty strong, but then just spins out. By the time Neil Patrick Harris shows up I was just fatigued. The number of subplots and characters was exhausting, and adding even more new characters at that point was drudgery even if the character should have had a fun subplot.

I still think Freak Show is worth trying, but when it stops being enjoyable just stop watching and go read a summary to see how it all turned out. Same with most of the bottom half, really. Hotel is stylish as hell but shallow, if you don't love the setting of the art deco hotel there isn't much there for you and you should just stop watching. Coven is enjoyable for people who like the style of the season, despite the plot being a nonsensical mess that drags on too long, and the only way to know if it will tickle you is to watch a couple episodes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

While I think Coven is lousy af, I am also a homosexual. It was a season of fabulous bitches being campy and murdering eachother with witchcraft. Also Frances Conroy chewing all the scenery, just devouring that poo poo. I mean it was an awful, incoherent mess of a season, but it was entirely my kind of hot loving mess. Also, Emma Roberts.

I think the biggest thing I hated about Coven was the setting. The reason Murder House/Asylum were so great was in the part it was a great setting. A messed up haunted/murder house and a basically inhumane asylum. Those two places are pretty common tropes in horror but I think AHS had a nice twist of their own. What is the setting Coven? New orleans? Is New Orleans suppose to be a scary place?

Anyway I am loving all the stuff Ryan Murphy is creating, involved in AHS, American Crime Story, Feud.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Ulio posted:

Is New Orleans suppose to be a scary place?

Clearly you've never been to New Orleans.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I visited New Orleans not too long ago, and we took a tour that focused specifically on locations from Coven. It wasn't particularly scary, especially since it took place in broad daylight, but we still learned a lot of cool background about things like the plaçage system and how the real Marie Laveau cultivated her voodoo queen reputation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The best and creepiest thing about Coven is the intro, it writes a check that the actual show can't hope to cover.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

McSpanky posted:

The best and creepiest thing about Coven is the intro, it writes a check that the actual show can't hope to cover.

Also, those teaser videos for Coven were very good. drat shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XQROexk2zs

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

haveblue posted:

I visited New Orleans not too long ago, and we took a tour that focused specifically on locations from Coven. It wasn't particularly scary, especially since it took place in broad daylight, but we still learned a lot of cool background about things like the plaçage system and how the real Marie Laveau cultivated her voodoo queen reputation.

Coven had the problem of really not being a horror show. While it had horrific imagery at times, for the most part it was a soap opera about lovely people trying to lethally one-up each other. It was Nip/Tuck with magic.

And here's where I find out that Ryan Murphy also created Nip/Tuck, which makes so much sense now. They had a serial killer who was born without a penis, forcing them to quickly explain away plot holes where the killer couldn't have gotten away with not having one.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 1, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TheBizzness posted:

I give Freak Show points because it remains coherent for longer and because it contains fully realized arcs for almost all of the major characters if you stop watching after Edward Mordrake Part II. The Freaks gain "acceptance" in Jupiter. Elsa is forced to confront her own shallowness and seems to grow from the experience. Dandy fulfills his destiny by becoming a serial killer. Coven, by contrast, rapidly loses all form and direction as soon as Madison dies. Also, it has one of the nastiest casts in the show's history, with Queenie being the only person with any redeeming qualities, and isn't actually scary.

Freak Show is bad, but it never descends to the level of "Sarah Paulson is blinded and has her vision restored multiple times" or "Ghost gets stabbed to death by teenage girls" bad that defined Coven.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

1.) Asylum
2.) Murder House
3.) Roanoke
4.) Hotel
5.) Freak Show
6.) Coven

Good: Murder House, Roanoke
Good Setting/World/characters, questionable plot arcs for large portion of season: Hotel, Freak Show
I liked it but it's not really american horror story: Coven
I didn't like it but it's coherent and I have no problem saying it's probably objectively in the top 3 seasons: Asylum

Probably worth noting I watched Murder House, Asylum, and Coven in a 3-4 day period and the others as they aired. Freak Show has some great characters and a decent setting and is overall quite charming, but it suffers horribly from the same writing problems of most AHS seasons. They are written by someone who really wants to write something intricate, heavy, and clever, and the writers never actually succeed at doing any of that. Things are never as fleshed out or dragged out as they should be, and then a bunch of dumb crap happens that changes everything forever but isn't really what the show was developing, and eventually the season ends. The show could really benefit from being slower and just cutting most of the last half of its seasons. Whoever comes up with the setting and characters usually knocks it out of the park, and some of the backstories and conflicts between characters or environment are excellent. But then they always come up with this dumb garbage to tack on all of that to "really make things happen" and it really tanks my interest.

I should probably rewatch asylum. And maybe coven.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 2, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Freak Show holds together well through episode five after Twisty gets taken by Mordrake and Dandy has designs to become the new Twisty. His extremely botched killing and dismembering of Matt Bomer was pretty chilling. After that it was just repetitive three card monte with 'who has Bette and Dot?' 'Will Dell kill the freak?/ Will Esmeralda kill the freak?' 'Will Jimmy/Desiree/Elsa accept or turn away from their freak heritage?!' 'I'm Dandy! I'm the biggest freak of all!'

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Khorne posted:

Good Setting/World/characters, questionable plot arcs for large portion of season: Hotel, Freak Show
I liked it but it's not really american horror story: Coven
I didn't like it but it's coherent and I have no problem saying it's probably objectively in the top 3 seasons: Asylum

Probably worth noting I watched Murder House, Asylum, and Coven in a 3-4 day period and the others as they aired. Freak Show has some great characters and a decent setting and is overall quite charming, but it suffers horribly from the same writing problems of most AHS seasons. They are written by someone who really wants to write something intricate, heavy, and clever, and the writers never actually succeed at doing any of that. Things are never as fleshed out or dragged out as they should be, and then a bunch of dumb crap happens that changes everything forever but isn't really what the show was developing, and eventually the season ends. The show could really benefit from being slower and just cutting most of the last half of its seasons. Whoever comes up with the setting and characters usually knocks it out of the park, and some of the backstories and conflicts between characters or environment are excellent. But then they always come up with this dumb garbage to tack on all of that to "really make things happen" and it really tanks my interest.

I should probably rewatch asylum. And maybe coven.

Yeah, that's nearly where I am.

Terrible but fun: Coven, Hotel
Terrible: Freak Show, Asylum

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTtsl9nAUOK/

:staredog:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

New Payday 2 mask set lookin good.

April
Jul 3, 2006

That looks like an elephant version of Twisty. GOP = horrifically deformed killer clown?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Elephants are also the mascot of the Republican party, maybe we'll see a donkey monster too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is this gonna be some weird satire where Ryan Murphy thinks he's being really clever calling out The Maaaaan? Will it end with a crying woman dressed as the Statue of Liberty staring wistfully through the window at the corpses of all the main characters as Ryan Murphy sits in the corner and makes a quip like "You win some....you lose all."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Looking forward to seeing that trunk inserted into this season's hunky dark haired strong chinned throwaway male.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

looking forward to jessica lange as hillary clinton

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

There will probably be a bunch of weird leathery orange skinned ladies

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Looking forward to seeing that trunk inserted into this season's hunky dark haired strong chinned throwaway male.

I enjoy Murphy's gratuitous homoeroticism.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Things that have been promised in the show by Murphy's Instagram since we last checked in:

Leslie Grossman (Popular)

Billie Lourd (Scream Queens)

Colton Haynes (Arrow)

Blue Hair (Blue as the night)

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
They're all amazing and I am expecting the new season to be OTT Camp.

Poor Mary Cherry's been missing from Tv for far too long.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWYeEHTA-0u/

He's back.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

He's the MAAAN behind THE MASK!

I guess everybody got their wish. I love this dumb gay show and I hope it never ends :allears:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope its even better than the last season.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

I hope its even better than the last season.

There's gotta be copious man rear end, it's gonna be great

I'm awaiting the Murder House/Coven crossover season after this one too, for two things, Jessica Lange being an old southern bitch and just the absolute trainwreck that season will be :allears:

E: I wonder if we're gonna see more Emma Roberts now the Scream Queens is gone.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 15, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWqV_xwAfZg/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Without clicking on it, I hope the second link is to a certain scene from the Wicker Man remake with Nick Cage.

Either that or Metal Gear Solid 3.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Hmm, season name is being announced on 7/20 and bees are a clue?

Obviously the season is going to be connected to one of the greatest arcade games of the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

MD2020 posted:

bees are a clue?

BEES?!

https://youtu.be/5J2kc4oZTVU

• Locked thread