Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I like Ezri Dax too, she's super cute. It's nice to have a bright and happy character around amidst all the war.

gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nathilus posted:

gently caress you.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Nathilus posted:

What? The ds9 crew doesn't even get to move around. And half the series takes place during a war. It's the opposite of space cowboys. Please understand the things you are talking about before posting.

Enterprise was pretty good tho except dat opening song.

Enterprise's theme song was so loving dumb, it was like a royalty-free version of I don't wanna miss a thing.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
just in general

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Junior Jr. posted:

Enterprise's theme song was so loving dumb, it was like a royalty-free version of I don't wanna miss a thing.

Nathilus posted:

gently caress you.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Nathilus posted:

gently caress you.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

The Dennis System posted:

Riker is the only legitimately bad rear end character in all of TNG, DS9 or Voyager.

What about Worf?

Oh HELL, yeah!

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Remember in DS9 when Odo liquified himself into the water supply so he could live out his fantasies of dribbling down the crack of Quarks rear end when he took a shower?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

honestly was there any part of DS9 that wasn't excellent?

Bashir's late-series subplot I guess but besides that

There's some dodgy stuff here and there, but I think DS9 is probably the best out of the later Trek shows. Although TNG is also pretty good. Just can't get into it as much as some people.

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Is there even any good sci fi being written by anyone these days?

I think a lot of people liked some show called The Expanse and that's recent.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nathilus posted:

What? The ds9 crew doesn't even get to move around. And half the series takes place during a war. It's the opposite of space cowboys. Please understand the things you are talking about before posting.

Enterprise was pretty good tho except dat opening song.

its basically a western and the civil war happens half way through. the cardasians are the space confederacy

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Rasta_Al posted:

Remember in DS9 when Odo liquified himself into the water supply so he could live out his fantasies of dribbling down the crack of Quarks rear end when he took a shower?

Odo-ur

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
DS9 is great IMO hth

Every Quark-heavy episode is amazing.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Why yes, I have been in the market for a Klingon babysitter

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rasta_Al posted:

I honestly can't tell if you're making these up. I distinctly remember an episode of voyager where paris and the captain turn into lizards and have space lizard babies, so why the gently caress not?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
my favorite part of star trek was the episode in which the mods knew

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Rutibex posted:

its basically a western and the civil war happens half way through. the cardasians are the space confederacy

No. First off it is not even close to being a western. For example, star wars is. A bunch of plucky outcasts roll around the galaxy sticking it to the man. The crew of DS9 IS the man. They represent an imperialist empire. How you even start to get western outta that is beyond me.

Secondly, the war isn't the civil war you idiot. It's clearly ww2 and bajorans are the jews. The entire point of a civil war is that it is between two sides of the same nation. Cardassians aren't federation. It doesn't completely fit as ww2 either because the cardasssians aren't the nazis, the changelings are. It's still all about political hegemony and racism tho.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The Original Series is probably best because it's all fun and goofy and you don't need to take it seriously

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
chewbacca is my favorite one from the star treks

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

reallivedinosaur posted:

chewbacca is my favorite one from the star treks

his cowcaster is awesome

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

dont forget that avery brooks is crazy and his weird poo poo deserves to be funded by royalties for life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MEYMMDhKk

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Fire Barrel posted:

I think a lot of people liked some show called The Expanse and that's recent.

I watched this, and enjoyed it enough to recommend it to a couple people. I like how small and lived in the setting is, and a lot of it feels fairly plausible. I am worried the nuclear space fungus thing that seems set to be taking off next season is going to be dumb as poo poo. Hope they pull it off though because I would like to continue to enjoy the show.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
The head writer pitched Roddenberry a story: a kid's mom dies, and he bonds with a hologram of her rather than accept her death. And Roddenberry said, no, you can't do that, in the 24th century, no one grieves. Death is accepted as a part of life.

That's what they had to write around. Try to make up drama in a world where people are too enlightened to even feel sad when someone dies.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

That's one thing I like about ds9. The utopian crap is treated as BS by all the characters.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
When Roddenberry died I imagine the writers had a party. He would have had seizures over DS9.

"In the pale moonlight" would have given him an aneurysm.

Garrak4lyfe

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Star Trek lost its way when Sisko returned to the Prophets.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Raged posted:

When Roddenberry died I imagine the writers had a party. He would have had seizures over DS9.

"In the pale moonlight" would have given him an aneurysm.

Garrak4lyfe

Garak is the best character in anything ever.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Federation seems laughably lax on crime too. Garak tries to genocide an entire species and ends up just getting nine months in jail, and he gets almost immediately let out on probation.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Twilight Matrix posted:

t'pol is the hottest star trek lady tho, even though enterprise is pretty weak

I'll have to disagree

Also, the best star trek episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqIJ3hgkIDY

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
as if the new movies are even star trek
thats like if the main character in weekend at bernies was named captain kirk it would suddenly be a star trek movie
they seem to be using the character but in the 2 i watched that was the end of it and it was in no way patterned off of a series of star trek as in the premise being them space-faring and then they encounter some sort of situation they have to deal with

picard mainly and other characters get all up in their asses about saying such and such virtuous trait is a "very human" quality. they would do that poo poo right at the tail end of an episode demonstrating that other races have the exact same quality like a self-righteous pat on the head

and the prime directive. jesus. if it were real it would clearly be defined as the default means to the desired end (minimal interference so long as it is not needed for a culture to survive) not as an end unto itself where it directs you to let intelligent races die for the benefit of ... no one. but no they treat it as a complex ethical paradox when it is anything but

voyager sucked
they try to get you to watch for 7 of 9 (every single episode is about her) but richard picardo is the real draw

ds9 ruled and the culmination of the emissary/pah wraith arc was pretty cool too
the dominion benny russel and almost all the ds9 characters ruled

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nathilus posted:

No. First off it is not even close to being a western. For example, star wars is. A bunch of plucky outcasts roll around the galaxy sticking it to the man. The crew of DS9 IS the man. They represent an imperialist empire. How you even start to get western outta that is beyond me.

Secondly, the war isn't the civil war you idiot. It's clearly ww2 and bajorans are the jews. The entire point of a civil war is that it is between two sides of the same nation. Cardassians aren't federation. It doesn't completely fit as ww2 either because the cardasssians aren't the nazis, the changelings are. It's still all about political hegemony and racism tho.

that sounds like it might have made a good plot for a two partner of TNG. problem is DS9 stretched it out over an entire series

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

that sounds like it might have made a good plot for a two partner of TNG. problem is DS9 stretched it out over an entire series

The second episode of TNG has everybody on the ship getting drunk and loving

even Data who is a robot

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
The dark tone and unusual setting made DS9 good, but the individual episodes weren't very sharp.

Also I hate the cinematography, if that makes sense. Like most scenes are overlit and washed-out and the camera is way too close and the framing sucks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The second episode of TNG has everybody on the ship getting drunk and loving

even Data who is a robot

the third episode has captain picard get his ship lost in another galaxy and they figure out how to get home by the end of the episode. jainway is trash captain. Picard would have won the Dominion war in 2-3 episodes tops.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Rutibex posted:

the third episode has captain picard get his ship lost in another galaxy and they figure out how to get home by the end of the episode. jainway is trash captain. Picard would have won the Dominion war in 2-3 episodes tops.

for real

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
hell, Geordi figured out how to kill the entire Borg collective in a throw away ep. the dilemma was if they should do it or not.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Federation seems laughably lax on crime too. Garak tries to genocide an entire species and ends up just getting nine months in jail, and he gets almost immediately let out on probation.

Worf almost ritualistically murders his brother and doesn't even get a slap on the wrist lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer posted:

Worf almost ritualistically murders his brother and doesn't even get a slap on the wrist lol

Jadzia Dax literally takes time off from work to go join a Klingon revenge quest, one that ends with her straight up murdering multiple people in cold blood and flagrantly breaking tons of Federation laws. She is warned against this by her commanding officer and everyone around her and upon her return she literally faces absolutely no disciplinary action whatsoever.

Zorodius posted:

but the individual episodes weren't very sharp.

see above

• Locked thread