Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Thank god, Klinsmann was loving rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Hoping for kreis but it'll be Bruce arena...

Arena is the best we have, Kreis is second fiddle

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

This was a double whammy. The USMNT didn't deserve to even go to the WC, but now FIFA/world sooccer will lose a poo poo TON of money and I love that

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I'm genuinely disgusted with the US setup. It's so shockingly bad and archaic.

The US can produce quality players, maybe not world class, but Champions League/Premier League level players.

Tactically and preperationally the US is so bizzarely far behind which makes no sense to me.

There is an inverse relationship between the increasingly comfortable and middling MLS home base for US players (MLS) and the deeply unsatisfying quality of soccer we play.

Our best teams played on lovely, dirt clod filled football stadiums and actually didn't embarrass us

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let's look at the current situation in MLS. The historically best MLS teams (DC and LA) are currently two of the three worst teams in the league. The "fad" teams that are garbage but have the biggest fan followings, are extremely mediocre (Seattle/Portland). The best MLS teams have the shittiest USMNT players (Toronto)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nobody watches any of those teams because MLS is an abysmal league full of garbage players and awful play

It can be better but it's run by incompetents waiting for this mythical wave of young, rabid soccer fans who aren't coming

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

shoplifter posted:

Sunil is swimming home, right?

Not a chance. The dude put 100 million in the bank and now that the US is going to be financially hosed by this to the tune of 10 million (guaranteed) to 30 million (projected), he will be voted in to keep the USMNT from sinking financially

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

MLS can't be better unless you're willing to operate the league at a massive loss because nobody here gives a poo poo about it to increase the leagues revenue.

Unless a bunch of elite world class players decide they want to play in our shitshow of a country for a pittance, MLS will always be nothing but a CONCACAF redraft with some South American gutter scraps thrown in.

You can make hard decisions like moving teams from underperforming areas. You can reduce the cap of international players allowed on each team. You can add another youth international DP slot to offset the costs associated with bringing in young talent.

None of that would lead to huge operational losses.

There's basically a shitload you can do.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Move them to other areas that will care for like 18 months because it's new and then move on to other interests?

Reduce the cap to pay more of them with what money?

There aren't enough people in this country who give a poo poo to sustain a high level league. The math doesn't work.

Can it be better? Sure. But reducing it from really bad to bad is a fruitless endeavor.

Atlanta cares, so does Orlando. LA2 will probably care with it's sweet location. Seattle and Portland ended up quite good.

MLS has a lot of money in the bank. Enough to pay down the cost of one more young DP (not regular DP) and even raise the cap slightly.

Lots care, but the quality of play is bad and teams don't stay good for long anymore due to low quality coaching etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Honestly, not trolling, but world cup viewing parties will be infinitely more tolerable now that the posers or clingers on who barely care won't show up

• Locked thread