Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Puzzle games are my favourite genre. also Obduction just came out and that's a new myst-like by the makers of myst. we need a thread to talk about this poo poo.

what are your favourite puzzle games everyone?

Edit:
Quick List of Imp-approved puzzle games:
Spacechem
Hexcells trilogy
DROD series
Portal 1/2

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
yeah and it should be called The DROD Megathread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoyed a lot of Talos Principle even if the Tetris puzzles were really stupid and it does something mildly where you need a very very specific angle to complete a puzzle, so I had some puzzles where I tried the correct solution but because my angle was off just slightly it didn't seem feasible and I tried other crap for a while before realizing I was right the whole time.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I love competitive puzzle games but I can't find anyone to battle me in Tetris/Panel de Pon/Dr. Mario.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I found a cool puzzle game on PSP called Ultimate Block Party, but nobody online has apparently ever played it because there weren't any good guides to its mechanics or anything.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

got obduction from the kickstarter and don't have a computer that's capable of playing it anymore. very cool

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

yeah and it should be called The DROD Megathread

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I enjoy crossword puzzles.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Squeezy Farm posted:

I enjoy crossword puzzles.

I can pretty reliably get through Tuesday and some of Wednesday every week but after I get trounced

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe I'll finally play DROD. It's old right? Is there a GOG version?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Maybe I'll finally play DROD. It's old right? Is there a GOG version?

they are on gog
https://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3
I'd recommend skipping to 2, journey to rooted hold

they are gonna put out steam versions (this year?) that just sells all 5 games in the newest engine, which would probably be best

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

they have demos on their site and all user made content is playable for free inside of the demo version i think, and the original game is up for free as "architects edition" as well as a free flash version

http://www.caravelgames.com/Articles/Games.html

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

they are on gog
https://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3
I'd recommend skipping to 2, journey to rooted hold

they are gonna put out steam versions (this year?) that just sells all 5 games in the newest engine, which would probably be best

the second one gets really hard iirc, I would start with #4 https://www.gog.com/game/drod_4_gunthro_and_the_epic_blunder which is definitely the easiest one to finish.
Or, just play the original until you get stuck, then maybe swap over to #2 for a while, and then just whichever one, then come back to whatever stumped you on #1, etc.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drod rpg: tendry's tale is lovely btw

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
nonograms are the poo poo

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Popped puzzle bobble into my ngpc in honor of this thread. Thanks, OP.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I can pretty reliably get through Tuesday and some of Wednesday every week but after I get trounced

I do Saturdays :cool:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

In Training posted:

The ones in the free paper here don't scale difficulty so everyday is a crapshoot. Mostly easy-medium tho.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

I do Saturdays :cool:

:worship:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
get hyp for puyo maybe actually coming outside of j apan
https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/766696975018266624

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If y'all liked the talos principle and never played The Witness you should do something about that

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
All Time Favs

• Tetris -- if i had to pick one edition, The New Tetris for N64
  • Picross/nonograms
  • Dr. Mario/Luigi
  • Qix

Recently, I've been enjoying Tricky Towers online, and been thinking of dusting off Donkey Kong '94 or one of the newer MvDK games.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

nonograms are the poo poo

pokemon picross is great

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

goferchan posted:

If y'all liked the talos principle and never played The Witness you should do something about that

i really liked talos principle but i didnt like the witness that much. the world is just so bland in witness. the puzzles are cool but the rest of the game sucks.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

One Man Trash posted:

pokemon picross is great

As much as I like pokemon and picross I don't like pokemon picross's format. Picross DS is amazing and all of the Picross e games are steals though.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

As much as I like pokemon and picross I don't like pokemon picross's format. Picross DS is amazing and all of the Picross e games are steals though.

yeah the ingame currency that can be purchased with real money is lame. though everything unlocks once you spend a certain amount

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I played as much as I could feasibly for free then bought 5 picross e games for the same price as unlocking infinite picrites. 30 bucks is too steep

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i want to play puyo puyo tetris but i don't want to import a 50 dollar ps4 copy :sigh:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

toki tori 2 is really good but no one bought it and the company is now bankrupt

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I played as much as I could feasibly for free then bought 5 picross e games for the same price as unlocking infinite picrites. 30 bucks is too steep

$30 for a picross game does feel like a ripoff but pokemon picross has more than like, 600 puzzles. i know how you feel but i think it's worth the price.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

i want to play puyo puyo tetris but i don't want to import a 50 dollar ps4 copy :sigh:

There's a players choice version that's like $35 minus shipping

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
None of the picross e's looked very substantial to me, is picross for regular DS still the best one? picross 3d seemed alright, pretty sure i completed almost all of it years ago.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mysterious loyall X posted:

toki tori 2 is really good but no one bought it and the company is now bankrupt

gah!! i bought it on ps4 and keep forgetting to play more . it's super hard but i like how mysterious everything is

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

fiber posted:

None of the picross e's looked very substantial to me, is picross for regular DS still the best one? picross 3d seemed alright, pretty sure i completed almost all of it years ago.

All of the Picross e games have around 300 puzzles for 6 bucks so I'd say that they're substantial. Picross DS is still the greatest though.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I don't usually have the patience for most puzzle games, but both the Hexcells series and Box Boy are some of the finest gaming has to offer in the genre.

They both have excellent pacing which is the #1 downfall in puzzle games imo. Fantastic steady ramp in difficulty while continuously unlocking new ways to do things. :cheers:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

gah!! i bought it on ps4 and keep forgetting to play more . it's super hard but i like how mysterious everything is

it's really good even hough i got stuck on a puzzle in the volcano like a year ago and haven't played it since oops

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I don't usually have the patience for most puzzle games, but both the Hexcells series and Box Boy are some of the finest gaming has to offer in the genre.

They both have excellent pacing which is the #1 downfall in puzzle games imo. Fantastic steady ramp in difficulty while continuously unlocking new ways to do things. :cheers:

Oh yeah, for anyone who has 3DS and wants a good puzzler, Box Boy and Box Box Boy are perfect. The sequel is great because it's basically a level pack, picks up exactly where the first one ended with the mechanics and then just gives you a bunch more levels. Highly recommended

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i just bought infinifactory which is basically 3D spacechem and it's insanely hard im stuck on like the 10th puzzle. and ive gotten stuck on every puzzle for at least 20 minutes so far. it p0wns and feels so good when you finally figure a level out

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Oh yeah, for anyone who has 3DS and wants a good puzzler, Box Boy and Box Box Boy are perfect. The sequel is great because it's basically a level pack, picks up exactly where the first one ended with the mechanics and then just gives you a bunch more levels. Highly recommended

Also on 3ds. The pushmo games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Ballhalla isn't really a puzzle game but I like the style and think it's fun okay bye.

• Locked thread