Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

C-Euro posted:

I still love the original Myst so The Witness is on my short list of games to get.

It's not really a Myst-style game beyond being on an island, the setting itself is not intriguing in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
ppl hate on the non puzzle parts of the witness but i found all of it kinda cool. anyways the puzzles in it are good as hell and difficult and solving them really gets me riled up

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Shitness.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Any phone puzzle game recommendations?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

NickRoweFillea posted:

alcazar
http://www.theincrediblecompany.com/alcazar-1/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Auro is a cool strategy/puzzle game with some neat mechanics from David Sirlin, the fighting game guy who made the Yomi card game and other stuff. Levels are randomly generated and it has a very well-done difficulty scaler where (even though it's entirely single player) you move up and down ranks when you play and the difficulty scales with your rank to keep things consistently challenging. Road Not Taken is another one of my favorites, really difficult with some roguelike elements . Snakebird is excellent but I think someone else pointed out that it's got a really janky difficulty curve which is probably a fair assessment, the first few puzzles are simple and then the game jumps straight to "really loving hard". oh and I've been playing Human Resource Machine lately which is a programming puzzle game from the guys who did World of Goo and it's on sale for $1 down from $5 right now. Maybe that games easy if you know anything about programming logic but I don't and I've found it really fun and challenging. I think every game i mentioned is also on PC but they're all really solid ports and play great on a touchscreen

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh poo poo I forgot about like every game by Michael Brough. Imbroglio and 868-HACK are both incredibly fuckin good. They're each worth grabbing but I'd probably play 868-HACK first -- it's a high score chaser with some loose roguelike elements and some really tense risk/reward mechanics

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I bought puyo puyo tetris

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
goferchan you play way too many phone games

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Is it fascism yet posted:

goferchan you play way too many phone games

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

yeah i don't have a computer so i gotta make do .... i have really good taste though.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

This is cool, just the kind of thing I've been looking for

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This is cool but on ios it looks like it's only available in Europe or something ? weird

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

I bought puyo puyo tetris

:yeah:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

snakebird isnt as hard as everyone says

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

like its challenging but when it started staryed getting difficult it never turned into a wall at all. it just doesnt bother loving around with retard easy puzzles which is fine by me

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not really a Myst-style game beyond being on an island, the setting itself is not intriguing in the slightest.

i'll probably still get it. wish I could erase my memory re: Myst and Riven and play those fresh again though

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I just read the Games adventure game thread. they all hate deponia because it isnt PC enough for them, what a bunch of telltards and faggots.

related:

quote:

Obduction feels like a game that belongs in the 1990s with a modern-day coat of paint. If you haven't played an adventure game since then, you might be pleasantly surprised, but I'd have rather spent my time replaying Firewatch, Oxenfree, or any number of other quality adventure titles instead of this buggy mess.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i get tried of being told the 90s adventure game format is broken and needs to be fixed

i also hate when old guys like scahfer or ron gilbert put up a kickstarter and say theyre gonna bring those games back like they ever left gently caress off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Don't Germans love point and click adventure games

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lets drag that old man murray article back up again this is interesting

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

What's a telltard

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

apparently one of the reasons another lucasarts indiana jones game wasnt made was because they planned it all out with nazis and then suddenly realized they couldnt sell it in germany lol

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

In Training posted:

we do and Deponia is pretty universally liked here.

Jerkops posted:

What's a telltard

a cuck who plays only telltale games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

apparently one of the reasons another lucasarts indiana jones game wasnt made was because they planned it all out with nazis and then suddenly realized they couldnt sell it in germany lol

Haha cool

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Discount Viscount posted:

Chu Chu Rocket, especially the GBA version with a shitload of user levels from SegaNet included. I am nowhere near done with it.

i had been channeling my ki to make sega realize that chu chu rocket could thrive on phones if you gave it a level editor and multiplyer for about 5 years
that wish got halfway granted

for real though chu chu rocket on the phone has the seganet stages and is the loving best

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i cant stop playing 3d picross 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Same but Picross e1. I was breezing through 5x5 and 10x10 but the 15x15 are starting to trip me up

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Devil Dice

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Bust a Move

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i feel the Pushmo/Pulllblox or whatever its called sereis deserves a shoutout. i only played the first one so far but its very good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

im kinda astounded by how good picross 3d 2 is. i enjoyed the first game a good bit, but the mechanics meant solving the puzzles could be pretty rote, once you learned how. they obviously saw that as well and completely reworked the mechanics to make the game much more engaging

they could have easily made just a new level pack, and it would have sold fine. this is so great

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

standing on a chair yelling nintendo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Picross 2 has insanely good music for a game that could easily get away with having no music at all

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I have playing the first 2 Blackwell games and it's a really cool mystery story with charming characters. the puzzles are a little thin but the games are great as a whole.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

elf help book posted:

they are on gog
https://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3
I'd recommend skipping to 2, journey to rooted hold

they are gonna put out steam versions (this year?) that just sells all 5 games in the newest engine, which would probably be best

i think they're all worth playing, but drod 4 is probably the best to start with because it's the easiest and holds off on some of the more complex elements. it's also a lot more polished than any of the earlier games. and if you end up liking it, you'll probably like the other games too.

the first one is definitely the roughest though, and all the good ideas it has tend to be used in later games, while the bad ideas (e.g. mazes hidden by tar, and huge mazes in general) are largely dropped. but the rest of the games each do something unique and interesting that you won't find in the others. so i agree with skipping the first game, and instead replacing it with the 4th one.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i think 2 has a wonderful difficulty curve, and the kinda sorta open design of 4 is offputting and confusing and doesnt let them build up the concepts well

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

im glad they added maps you can just click icons on in 5, because it lets them do the open level structure they wanted in 3 and 4 without having the player to walk through a million giant empty rooms

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

catharine was good. the puzzles were pretty challenging on hard mode and the remixed classical soundtrack was cool.

ilomilo was also really excellent and I wonder if anyone else played it? think it was Xbox 360 exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

drat I want to play Catherine again! I beat it but i don't think i touched hard mode . maybe i'll rent it on PSnow that seems like a great game to do that with

• Locked thread