Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I've been addicted to Pokémon picross on my commutes. I can't even begin to hang with the big 20x15 puzzles, even with my babby Pokémon powers (I only have 1 that works on 20x15 anyways, greninja).

It kind of makes me want to bust out the ol' graph paper and test some ideas out

Just imagining 3D picross :psyberger:

3d picross is real satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think 3D Picross is easier than 2D Picross but it's still awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've played so much 3D though that sometimes I feel like I'm cheating. Like for example if you see something like

🔸🔸🔷🔸

and the line is 1 blue and a 2 Orange circle, 9 times out 10 it's going to be

🔶🔷🔶

so I have been trained to just think in this pattern even if I shouldn't know that yet based on how far I've gotten into the puzzle

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

I've played so much 3D though that sometimes I feel like I'm cheating. Like for example if you see something like

🔸🔸🔷🔸

and the line is 1 blue and a 2 Orange circle, 9 times out 10 it's going to be

🔶🔷🔶

so I have been trained to just think in this pattern even if I shouldn't know that yet based on how far I've gotten into the puzzle

ive been thinking it could be cool to blindly work on one layer at a time without being able to see the full shape

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Rodents revenge was cool.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

3d picross is real satisfying

Yes. I bought that last night and was immediately at peace. That game is extremely zen.

I'm excited to plug in some of the 'miibs later, too

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Now I wish Pokémon picross would let me mark speculative squares like 3D

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the marking in 3d-2 is such a smart feature

in 3d-1 it didnt have that, but you could view the layers in all 3 dimentions. marking essentially allows you to interact with the 3rd dimension without that. which is great because that made solving puzzles in 3d-1 rather rote, go through the x layers, go through the y layers, go through the z layers, repeat forever

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

tricky towers got a small update and is $9 sale on steam. i like

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

White Genocide posted:

tricky towers got a small update and is $9 sale on steam. i like
What's in the update? I liked playing Race mode with people a lot but there's never anyone online.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's in the update? I liked playing Race mode with people a lot but there's never anyone online.

Local and online tournament mode;
Endless single player puzzle leaderboard mode
Weekly and monthly leaderboards
New achievements(!)

Haven't had chance to give online much of a go yet

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I've been playing BOXBOY the last couple days. The basic worlds aren't super challenging but the unlockable stages do a pretty great job of making me go "how the fu..."

Haven't even tried the challenges yet.

Also it's charming and the mechanics feel really good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Also I remember the concept of alcazar being a one-off puzzle in a lot of those variety puzzle magazines, it was called brickpath or something and it was one of my favorite puzzles so Im definitely picking that game up

elf help book posted:

I used to buy the big packs of back issues of those magazines lol

oh my god you have no idea how much i love those

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

I've been playing BOXBOY the last couple days. The basic worlds aren't super challenging but the unlockable stages do a pretty great job of making me go "how the fu..."

Haven't even tried the challenges yet.

Also it's charming and the mechanics feel really good.

i dont like how it takes forever to get to the interesting puzzles. all the basic worlds tend to just introduce a new mechanic, give you a few easy puzzles to go with it, and then the mechanic is just completely forgotten about and replaced by the next world's gimmick. it makes the whole game feel like a tutorial, with most of the levels just being a series of "example rooms". a good puzzle game should reuse mechanics constantly and allow them to play off each other in interesting ways, and its frustrating that boxboy has the potential for that but hardly uses it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

EvilMike posted:

i dont like how it takes forever to get to the interesting puzzles. all the basic worlds tend to just introduce a new mechanic, give you a few easy puzzles to go with it, and then the mechanic is just completely forgotten about and replaced by the next world's gimmick. it makes the whole game feel like a tutorial, with most of the levels just being a series of "example rooms". a good puzzle game should reuse mechanics constantly and allow them to play off each other in interesting ways, and its frustrating that boxboy has the potential for that but hardly uses it.

Sounds like uh, Quadrilateral Cowboy

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Sounds like uh, Quadrilateral Cowboy

That game is extremely good for the first half, the mechanics are unique and interesting and fun etc and then you hit the second half where they completely abandon that type of gameplay for this really confusing multi character nonsense and it was really disappointing to me.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just took out a monster of a Micross puzzle.

58 10x10s. Good poo poo, I want a whole game of Micross. Time to download Picross e7 for more of em.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

One of the Micross puzzles in e7 has 60 10x10s. :dogbutton:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm still playing picross 3D about 4 times a week on commutes. The game is an absolute monster.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I should get it but I now have Picross e, e2, e3, e4, e5 and e7 to finish as well as a few puzzles in Zelda Picross. Plus the original Picross 3D but Round 2 looks way more interesting. The first time 3D 2 goes on sale it will probably magically appear in my picross folder.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Picross 3d Round 2 is tied with Fire Emblem Fate for highest rated 3DS game of the year

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
witness is $20 right now on PSN, i think that's the cheapest it's ever been. talos principle for 7.50 too which is a steal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bought the witness today. its also 20 bucks on steam

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Picross 3d Round 2 is tied with Fire Emblem Fate for highest rated 3DS game of the year

Theyre two of the best gamesI played this year

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

goferchan posted:

Road Not Taken is another one of my favorites, really difficult with some roguelike elements .

I got this in the steam summer sale and I've been having fun with it. It's not quite what I expected though.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

I bought the witness today. its also 20 bucks on steam

i also bought it for 20 dollars and its my favorite puzzle game i ever played. the puzzle im stuck on is absolutely ridiculous. its a combination of a bunch of puzzles that took me 2 hours to figure out but all the rules at the same time and the grid is like 12x12

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

i also bought it for 20 dollars and its my favorite puzzle game i ever played. the puzzle im stuck on is absolutely ridiculous. its a combination of a bunch of puzzles that took me 2 hours to figure out but all the rules at the same time and the grid is like 12x12

post a pic im curious if i can still remember how to solve anything. don't worry i won't spoil ya tho

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

post a pic im curious if i can still remember how to solve anything. don't worry i won't spoil ya tho

i figured it out!!! but i only have a pic of before i found the solution

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

i figured it out!!! but i only have a pic of before i found the solution

Ooh i love the castle zone. The final puzzles are really cool (and iirc you only have to complete one of the two sets to clear the area but you should do both cuz they're great. They present a nice left brain/right brain sort of split)

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

Ooh i love the castle zone. The final puzzles are really cool (and iirc you only have to complete one of the two sets to clear the area but you should do both cuz they're great. They present a nice left brain/right brain sort of split)

yes i did in fact complete both sides even though i didnt have to. i love puzzles but now im in the village and stuck on the first puzzle because i dont understand the rules lol. i feel like i see what they want me to see but when i try to put it into practice its telling me i suck and am wrong

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Picross 3D 2 post game is brutal...at the point where every puzzle is like 20 to 30 minutes long

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

yes i did in fact complete both sides even though i didnt have to. i love puzzles but now im in the village and stuck on the first puzzle because i dont understand the rules lol. i feel like i see what they want me to see but when i try to put it into practice its telling me i suck and am wrong

some small spoilers re: the village -- its absolutely meant to be the last area you do . some other zones are gated by some basic poo poo from other ones but the village puzzles incorporate rules that you learn in all other 10 areas .... feel free to push as far as you can if you haven't finished the rest yet but don't feel dumb if it stumps you at some point

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

some small spoilers re: the village -- its absolutely meant to be the last area you do . some other zones are gated by some basic poo poo from other ones but the village puzzles incorporate rules that you learn in all other 10 areas .... feel free to push as far as you can if you haven't finished the rest yet but don't feel dumb if it stumps you at some point

good to know. at this point ive got the greenhouse laser, the castle laser, and the shadow forest puzzles laser.. gonna explore and find some new shiet.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I bought Stephen's Sausage Roll in the Steam sale and cleared two puzzles and I think this game will murder me if I ever get far enough.

Also bought Divide by Sheep and it's cool and as much as a soda from a vending machine, or cheaper.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Stephens Sausage Roll sounds perfect to me but i don't have a computer

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

desert ruins reflective puzzle zone: complete. now i'm in the marsh getting stuck on the third puzzle which should be really simple but i'm stumped lol. the witness is amazing

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

I bought Stephen's Sausage Roll in the Steam sale and cleared two puzzles and I think this game will murder me if I ever get far enough.

Also bought Divide by Sheep and it's cool and as much as a soda from a vending machine, or cheaper.

another cheap choice pick on steam is Pozzo Jello Crusade.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

rediscover posted:

desert ruins reflective puzzle zone: complete. now i'm in the marsh getting stuck on the third puzzle which should be really simple but i'm stumped lol. the witness is amazing

desert is probably the weakest zone, marsh is probably the best given that mastering the mechanics opens up puzzles everywhere.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Plebian Parasite posted:

desert is probably the weakest zone, marsh is probably the best given that mastering the mechanics opens up puzzles everywhere.

i get the 'make the shape' gimmick i'm just retarded and can't seem to figure out this 3x3 grid with the same pieces as the 4x4 right before it. i used to think i was smart but playing this game has been really humbling. the towns puzzles are total enigmas to me despite being familiar with most of the rules at play.. the desert zone and the trial and error style of puzzle solving where you try to find the right place to stand to catch the reflection is dumb i agree. i love this game though. my favorite puzzle game easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

rediscover posted:

i get the 'make the shape' gimmick i'm just retarded and can't seem to figure out this 3x3 grid with the same pieces as the 4x4 right before it. i used to think i was smart but playing this game has been really humbling. the towns puzzles are total enigmas to me despite being familiar with most of the rules at play.. the desert zone and the trial and error style of puzzle solving where you try to find the right place to stand to catch the reflection is dumb i agree. i love this game though. my favorite puzzle game easily

have you been picking up all the little environmental puzzles? They don't do anything but they're really satisfying to solve.

• Locked thread