Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

all this Witness talk makes me wanna play it so badly once i fix my desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Witness has my Best Moment in Gaming 2016 Award.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

symbolic posted:

all this Witness talk makes me wanna play it so badly once i fix my desktop

it's really good

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
and yeah i've been doing all the optional puzzles i find. i just like solving puzzles

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Plebian Parasite posted:

have you been picking up all the little environmental puzzles? They don't do anything but they're really satisfying to solve.

be careful, bunch of ppl are just picking this up for the first time ... i didn't realize the environmental puzzles existed until i was hours into the game and that's a "wow" moment i don't wanna deny anyone

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i honestly didn't discover that until after i beat the game... it's cool

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

be careful, bunch of ppl are just picking this up for the first time ... i didn't realize the environmental puzzles existed until i was hours into the game and that's a "wow" moment i don't wanna deny anyone

didnt read the spoiler and right now as im quoting you i am averting my eyes... do you mean the random sets panels that dont seem to do anything other than teach puzzle rules or is there like, actual environmental puzzles that are not line puzzles

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

rediscover posted:

didnt read the spoiler and right now as im quoting you i am averting my eyes... do you mean the random sets panels that dont seem to do anything other than teach puzzle rules or is there like, actual environmental puzzles that are not line puzzles

Neither. Just be alert and youll discover.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

discount cathouse posted:

Neither. Just be alert and youll discover.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started the Witness. I love the design of it but its giving me panic attacks already because of how much I know im missing, and because I was clearing a set of boards thinking I had the trick figured out and then i get to the last one and nothing I think should work works and i get confused

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm going to finally conquer the last page of puzzles in My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on my flight today. These are really tough puzzles despite being 15x15 and 20x15.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

I started the Witness. I love the design of it but its giving me panic attacks already because of how much I know im missing, and because I was clearing a set of boards thinking I had the trick figured out and then i get to the last one and nothing I think should work works and i get confused

there's no pressure. you have all the time in the world to go back and figure things out. missing things now just means you have more to find later.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Queen's Rooms 6. This must be the toughest Alcazar puzzle in the game, it's the only one I can't solve.

I think I just continuously fail to find the right (any) region with only one light/dark exit.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

Stick with it bro. Once you get the proverbial ball rolling it's one of the best puzzle game experiences you can have, IMO. Every time I play it I love it a little more. The puzzles are extremely interesting but I agree that it can be frustrating when you thought you had the rules figured out and suddenly they don't work and all your 'equations' fall apart and your stuck bashing your head against the wall until you accidentally bruteforce it and not realize why your solution was correct

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I wish I could forget The Witness and start over especially because i let my ex gf solve a bunch of puzzles that were too hard for me

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I'll be honest, I've googled the solutions to a few puzzles that really stumped me. most of the time (done this 4ish times) I just read strong hints but for the last puzzle in the greenhouse with all the flowers and poo poo I just looked up the solution because my brain just couldn't process what it wanted me to process

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
wtf

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I am but a man

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I haven't done that in a long time and made a pact to never look anything up for the rest of the game.. Please don't be mean to me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

I haven't done that in a long time and made a pact to never look anything up for the rest of the game.. Please don't be mean to me

you don't have to finish all the areas to beat the game and coming back to something later when you're stuck on it usually helps a lot. at least try that if you hit a wall and go check out a different zone

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

goferchan posted:

you don't have to finish all the areas to beat the game and coming back to something later when you're stuck on it usually helps a lot. at least try that if you hit a wall and go check out a different zone

Well, except that the 'I completed all the zones' bonus area is like the best part of the game.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Plebian Parasite posted:

Well, except that the 'I completed all the zones' bonus area is like the best part of the game.

i'm going to beat everything and from now on it'll be on by myself. i wonder what y'all mean by environmental puzzles... i'm going to pay extra attention next session if i can figure out like the 3rd puzzle in the marsh lol. i get stuck on the dumbest poo poo. The Witness GOTY

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat a level (?) and feel pretty drat smart about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

OK I found a giant puzzle embedded in the ground and it shone a light on a big black pillar with like 30 of those shapes carved into it my mind is sufficiently blown

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

OK I found a giant puzzle embedded in the ground and it shone a light on a big black pillar with like 30 of those shapes carved into it my mind is sufficiently blown

It's really cool because it took me hours and hours to figure out about that but it could also happen in the first 30 seconds. Have fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

It's really cool because it took me hours and hours to figure out about that but it could also happen in the first 30 seconds. Have fun

Now im going crazy looking for geometric patterns in every piece of architecture I love this game already. ANd I think Im gonna go the slow burn on it and not try to marathon through a bunch of puzzles because that can get overwhelming fast. My go to morning coffee game for the time being

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

after any of yall beat the witness, check out the interview with jon blow about the game on giant bomb, its pretty good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

when the ps4 lauched, blow did a live stream playing all the ps+ games he got free for it, and when he got to Contrast he tried really hard to be nice about it and just said like "making games is hard..."

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

elf help book posted:

when the ps4 lauched, blow did a live stream playing all the ps+ games he got free for it, and when he got to Contrast he tried really hard to be nice about it and just said like "making games is hard..."

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cleared the hedge maze area today and decided to check out the mountain top where the lasers point. Did you know that if you see a mountain in this game, you can walk to it? Simply incredible

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

This exact same thing happened to me. I had to go back to the set of boards that teach you and experiment a bit until I realized that what I thought was the trick was a superset that contained the more constrained, actual trick. I think the way the game teaches you is pretty neat.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

cleared the hedge maze area today and decided to check out the mountain top where the lasers point. Did you know that if you see a mountain in this game, you can walk to it? Simply incredible

i wanna know what's inside the mountain so bad. but i have to stop being retarded and finish puzzles to do so

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

rediscover posted:

i wanna know what's inside the mountain so bad. but i have to stop being retarded and finish puzzles to do so

[spoilers]more puzzles[/spoilers]

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

woops

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ralp posted:

Queen's Rooms 6. This must be the toughest Alcazar puzzle in the game, it's the only one I can't solve.

I think I just continuously fail to find the right (any) region with only one light/dark exit.

Its been a while since I solved this one but this looks like one of the ones where you have to abuse the "one unique solution" rule for those regions instead

e: nvm now I remember this fucker. I think I focused on the top region first and it took forever

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

[spoilers]more puzzles[/spoilers]

duh but whats it look like.. what is the secret of the island is what i wanna know

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I still dont get the tetronimos so I left that level behind but I found a nice grove with sun tile based puzzles that I figured out and those were fun until I got to sun puzzles combined with tetronimos. I really need to figure those out, and the black/white boxes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The Witness was really cool - please have fun!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
the tetrominos were one of the hardest parts of the game for me. i have pages and pages of notes covered in attempted tetromino puzzle solutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I still dont get the tetronimos so I left that level behind but I found a nice grove with sun tile based puzzles that I figured out and those were fun until I got to sun puzzles combined with tetronimos. I really need to figure those out, and the black/white boxes.

I did the exact same thing. tetris puzzles hosed my head up so i ended up in the tree house with the suns and now im fuckin stuck again on the last puzzle on the little bridge that unfolds with every puzzle u complete. this game makes me feel retarded

• Locked thread